SO what do you think?

what do you like?

what do you not like?

and

any other thoughts on it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I think it confirms my fear about the Diplomatic Corps. It looks very much like you're going to have to go on specifically pre-designated diplomatic missions as some alternative to every other mission, when the idea should be to give you the option to not have to slaughter everything in front of you in normal missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Mixed feelings, but I am still hopeful for Season 2
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Mixed feelings, but I am still hopeful for Season 2
how so, would you mind sharing why you get those feelings. ( you don't have to if you don't want to, but it would help feedback. )
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Call me jaded, but I've been burned too many times with promises unfulfilled to really keep my hopes up.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Pretty good stuff. I remain happy that they continue to focus on "rounding out" the existing world as well as adding 'new content'

Sort of surprised they aren't working on ship variants like "super Defiant's" yet - though a couple of those answers sort of went in different directions on that subject. Look forward to engineering reports in regards to what 'new ships' are being worked on.

Also good to hear that they're pondering ways to do 1st officers and more interactive BOffs/crews

All in all, it makes me hopeful of the direction of the game. Rather than focusing on "big things" which might drive hype and get more people, they're working on making the game world we have more balanced and well rounded.

They aren't just working on making it a better MMO, but also a better Star Trek game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Call me jaded, but I've been burned too many times with promises unfulfilled to really keep my hopes up.
Okay. You're jaded.

Also overly-dramatic. Unfulfilled promises?
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Q: Skyeraven: is there any plans to make crew interactions ? either starting relationship with crew members or completing special crew missions to give you crew members an extra special trait or powers.

A: We definitely want to add more personality to Bridge Officers. To be honest, at this point, most of these are only in the idea phase. Some options we have considered are personal logs, where you Bridge Officers would fill in on his own log based on things like what missions you took him on, or didn’t take him on, how often he would get knocked unconscious, how often he was trained or promoted, how often he was injured. Perhaps these experiences would affect the Bridge Officers and grant him new traits. Again, these are just early concepts at this point. In any event, we definitely will continue to add more depth to Bridge Officers so each will feel more unique and special.

Quote:
Q: Malagor: Will we see mission contents or story lines involving our bridge officers? I would like something to flesh out our BOs -- perhaps this can be on-going for an undissmissed BO; maybe even lead to a heroic end (ST2-or-Nemesis) or well deserved promotion to captain a ship that may assist you in a future scenerio (Sulu-UndiscoveredCountry) -- voice would be nice too?

A: This is a tough one. We’ve looked at doing this from a bunch of different angles and there’s just no getting around how complex something like this would be to cover all of the cases. The number of permutations involved with your Bridge Officers is pretty boggling. As a quick example just think about how differently we would need to write text for a typical Human, Vulcan, Klingon, Liberated Borg or that weird Bridge Officer you made with the flat head, scaled neck, and bulging eyes. On top of that a fair number of players (myself definitely included) wind up attributing personalities or stories to their Bridge Officers. That’s something we’re very conscious of and try not to infringe on. So now you have to worry about attitudes like Moody, Angry, Logical, Comical, etc. To add even more complexity it feels like compelling stories should involve their Careers as well. Important events for Science, Engineering and Tactical officers are usually pretty different.
That isn’t to say there aren’t ways to avoid those issues, but we feel instead of adding depth it would wind up so generic it would feel a little forced and hollow. It is something that is brought up often, we are constantly talking about ways to let people build up their Bridge Officers and get more involved with them. Some of the features we have on the plate for the future are specifically about trying to let players define and advance their Officers above and beyond Skills and Gear.

I want to point out the following:
Bridge Officer Story Arcs System Proposal (WITH ILLUSTRATION)

I tried to keep it in layspeak while laying it out in detail. I have experience scripting exactly this kind of interaction. I think my system is entirely doable and addresses both the player comments here and concerns raised by devs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
The ask Cryptic is up.

<LINKS RIGHT HERE>

SO what do you think?

what do you like?

what do you not like?

and

any other thoughts on it?
Yes this. specificly,
Quote:
We have been kicking around ideas for what Tier 6 ships could be and how they would work in the STO universe already. Will they be retrofits of existing ships, “Super Defiants”? Will they need entire Fleets to pool their resources to create? We’ll continue to listen to the community’s feedback and decide as the time gets closer how exactly we will implement the next Tier of starships.
That = win, i and many other have wanted ship crafting for a good while. Id really like this, not just for myself but for the many fleets who wanted this as well.

This too,
Quote:
A: If the community wants it - we’ll keep adding minigames as time goes on. 3-D Chess is one that people keep bringing up – I think that there are tons of different ideas. We want to make sure that the minigames aren’t just social games that characters played within the shows, but that we end up taking some of the more “mundane” tasks in STO, scanning, searching, analyzing – and make them into active little pieces of gameplay as opposed to just hitting "F."
yes please

Quote:
Q: Azurian: Are we going to see missions on Cannonical worlds like Vulcan and Andoria?

A: Yes! One of our goals for upcoming releases is to add more life to social areas like Vulcan, and that includes missions that you may find as you explore the galaxy. You'll see some of these in Season 2, and we'll be adding more soon!
and yes that.

Im happy with those things there specificly and the diplomatic additions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't think Cryptic understands what real diplomacy is. I understand that there is little to no content available in the game at the moment. But that doesn't mean we want them to rush content that isn't well put together or appropriate.

There are many, many, good suggestions on these forums about diplomacy. Instead of re-iterating those points here, I suggest the devs start taking some suggestions from the players, instead of half-listening and coming out with crap ideas.

However . . . I have yet to play Season 2. I will definitely try out all the new content before passing any kind of final judgement. I'm just afraid that Cryptic doesn't get it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Let me add, I think they make a vague allusion to the type of system I proposed but I think by focusing on a BO's personality (which is user constructed) then well written missions will be properly engaging without relying on racial specifics or careers simply by inputting the data I've suggested.
Closed Thread