Lt. Commander
# 21
06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
while I had a feeling that they were going to be their own missions, I understand where you are coming from.
the way I see it, 2.0 is not the end. with an MMO it takes steps. the Diplomatic system can be building blocks to a better system. I can bet you that it will show up in episodes added after it is added, and that post was more about exploration instead of the diplomatic corps, so we really don't know the whole story.

as for killing everyone, this is one thing that I have been preaching from the start. we need a disable ship buff, and a stun NPC buff. they would be skills added to every captain, and if I use them on a ship or a person, then that person is stunned, or the ship is disabled, when their health is gone. this is short term, but it would help with all of the killing.
I don't think you need a specific skill. I think it should essentially be default (at least for Feds) that stun/disable happens first, and you have to make a conscious choice to finish someone off. In space this is easy. All you have to do is set it so that as damage to a ship increases, their systems go offline (which is just how it works in the show) until they are sitting dead in the water. You'd get a little alert "Enemy ship disabled" when you had put them out of commission, and then if you feel like continuing to fire until it explodes, by all means go ahead.

On the ground, I suppose the character just ends up sprawled on the ground unable to move unless rezzed, and if you really want to finish someone off, you can walk over and vaporize people.

As for steps...frankly, I've already given this game way more chances than I would give any other game because of its IP. They have big gaping holes to plug, and it seems like little to no progress has been made in filling them. And really, if they're doing Diplomatic Corps as a separate thing, then it means they either simply do not get it, or are incapable of creating the kind of game that will do justice to the IP. In either of those cases, I would rather the game fail and make way for someone who gets it and can do it right.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Some good stuff there yes BUT

Well there was nothing about pvp sector ore Klingons doing STF's with the feds.
Nothing about new pvp maps or more room to travel in fore klingons, nothing about fixing the fleet actions
removing lv banding and making a new and better fleet action for all players. bug fixes etc.
Lt. Commander
# 23 Upgrade Defiant, hopefully
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't want tier 6 ships to be unavailable to anyone who isn't in a sizable fleet. Let people upgrade their favorite canon ships and fly them. If it took a fleet to build a ship, then it would mean it's a multi-player crew on board, led by the fleet leader? Sounds like a lot of fun for the fleet leader, some fun for the higher officers in the fleet, and apparently mucking out virtual Jefferies tubes for everyone else.

One thing I think I picked up in the segment was that it sounds like there will be no 3d chess. They said people have asked for it, but they want minigames to replace actual gameplay things. Well, those types of minigames are all well and good, but people want to use minigames socially as well. 3d chess might be harder to do than 2d chess, but it's not like we're asking for AI opponents, they just need a functional board and pieces and a rulebook somewhere. Surely there are rules for 3d chess already? I always wanted to play but I'm only average at 2d chess and never had an opponent who was interested.

I was also disappointed about how hearing an actual voice in the game is something to be rare and special. Voice is one of the big things they could do to add immersion; they don't get it or for some reason simply don't want to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
I don't want tier 6 ships to be unavailable to anyone who isn't in a sizable fleet.
To be completely honest, the idea of needing to collect resources to build only ONE tier of ships is nonsense. Either ALL ships should require resources(amounts scaled as the tier increases), or none. The whole idea of collecting resources to build ships was an early design idea that Cryptic talked about but then dropped. It was a good idea for all ships, but trying to reintroduce it for just one tier doesnt make any sense.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threather
I don't think Cryptic understands what real diplomacy is.
In Vanguard Saga of Heroes, it's a card-game.

Don't expect to be Sarek spending 80+ years working on one treaty negotiation.

As long as it's better than card-game. I'll be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
i am surprised that they pick and chose the questions to answer and the ones they answered werent straight forward. did get tidbits on what they are looking at making not spacific yes or no on what people would like to see in game. just they will look into it if the people want it. still no reply or answer to fleet star bases.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I think some people might be getting confused. Disabling a ship or hailing a ship isn't exactly diplomacy. What some people asked for was more in depth diplomacy like First Contact missions and the like. Hopefully they get it.
Having a separate skill set for diplomacy missions is a viable idea... provided it is done correctly.

Overall, I am looking forward to Season 2 however the caveat is that all if this stuff won't be in a all inclusive patch when S2 is released. I am sure a lot of it will come out as S2.1 etc.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
To be completely honest, the idea of needing to collect resources to build only ONE tier of ships is nonsense. Either ALL ships should require resources(amounts scaled as the tier increases), or none. The whole idea of collecting resources to build ships was an early design idea that Cryptic talked about but then dropped. It was a good idea for all ships, but trying to reintroduce it for just one tier doesnt make any sense.
You make strong points about it being a bad idea. I do think that the quote from the ask cryptic bit was just, you know, bouncing the idea off the wall again. I don't think it'll get anywhere if enough of us give the feedback that you are giving.

And I'd agree with your feedback. So that's two right there.

More to follow I hope.

I mean, I'm all for coming up with ideas to make a T6 ship special. And cool. And awesome.

I'm not convinced the idea of having to spend resources (and gather a fleet's worth of resources at that) is the best way to achieve that.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
You make strong points about it being a bad idea. I do think that the quote from the ask cryptic bit was just, you know, bouncing the idea off the wall again. I don't think it'll get anywhere if enough of us give the feedback that you are giving.

And I'd agree with your feedback. So that's two right there.

More to follow I hope.

I mean, I'm all for coming up with ideas to make a T6 ship special. And cool. And awesome.

I'm not convinced the idea of having to spend resources (and gather a fleet's worth of resources at that) is the best way to achieve that.
My previous post aside, I wouldnt mind seeing such a mechanic introduced for fleet starbases, if that idea ever takes off, but just not for ships(for the reasons I already mentioned).
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
meh.. Reminded me of those "public discussions" before the Presidential elections. Here, ask this guy this question, and you over there...you ask him this question.
Closed Thread