Lt. Commander
# 21
06-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I disagree. If any compromise should be given, it should come in the form of a Champions Online specific item, perk, whatever.

A Zombie Foxbat action figure. Or something along those lines. Specific to the game that people bought the LTS for.

It's a Champions Sub, so any goodwill generating item offered to compensate hurt feelings should be in the form of a Champions specific item.

The overall lesson being ... you don't buy champions to play star trek.
No, I really think that'd be kind of a dickmove. Obviously, the only CO Lifers who give a crap about the status of the MU uniforms are also STO subscribers or potential subscribers. It was pretty blatantly using STO to drum up interest in CO (and hey, it legitimately worked in some cases) and I was actually a little surprised that there weren't any offers crossing back from STO into CO*. Both CO and STO elements were included in the package and it's the STO elements that are the issue.

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any posts asking for the CO LTS-exclusive bits on the CO forums, even though the Art Deco bits were pretty snazzy IMO. But there were a whole lot of alternatives that looked just as good or better and it didn't have anything categorically unique like the MU unis with the bare midriff & arms.

*like Vulcan pointy ears or a Starfleet delta-shield costume symbol or something.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Quote:
I disagree. If any compromise should be given, it should come in the form of a Champions Online specific item, perk, whatever.

A Zombie Foxbat action figure. Or something along those lines. Specific to the game that people bought the LTS for.

It's a Champions Sub, so any goodwill generating item offered to compensate hurt feelings should be in the form of a Champions specific item.

But that's not what they advertised, Chum.

Your lesson would be valid if they had not already sold Champions Online Lifetime subs by attaching a STO item to them. Many players of STO bought said subscriptions with no intention of ever playing that game specifically to get that exclusive. Such dedicated fans do not deserve to be spat upon by changing the exclusive after the purchase was already made.

Lt. Commander
# 23
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
But that's not what they advertised, Chum.

The product purchased was Champions Online. So any and all apologies should really come in the form of something related to the product purchased.

It's about as straightforward as one can get. They advertised a lifetime subscription to Champions Online.

It's pretty exclusive too, because last I heard, you couldn't obtain it anymore. As opposed to an LTS to this game which you can still buy.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I will disagre completly on principle:

The "Mirror Universe" uniforms were an extra bonus unrelated to the "Champions Online" lifetime account which precipitated it.

The STO Lifetimers have already lost the exclusive starbase to the "veteran' bonus system, the "Efficient Captian" trait was added to the Alien (so everyone can get it), and the private chat chanel never occured. So, you can see other LIFERS have already given up much.

Other preorder bonuses, from multiple vendors, are already included in the list.

For your preorder to be given an "exclusive, never touch" position would be a "slap in the face" to the rest of us whom are already having to see our exclusives move to the C-Store. Everyone whom bought from Amazon, Bestbuy, all the Digital Deluxe buyers, etc., aren't less than you.

In other words..... Quit Complaining... it's getting BORING.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:

Incorrect. The lesson is they shouldn't have used Star Trek to sell Champions. But they absolutely did. Champions wasn't worth it on its own merits at launch, and they knew it. They leveraged STO purposely in the offer. If they give away the STO bonus, they should compensate STO players who made that purchase.

A pure Champions player (who doesn't play STO) does not really need compensation because they haven't really lost anything as far as that game is concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Sell it all in the C-Store. Not only will it make more people happy than not doing it, it'll make more money for Cryptic.

I cannot fathom how getting something months ahead of someone else isn't good enough for some people.

I also can't fathom how so many people worry about what others get or can get in the game. Dude, they pay money too. Why should you be more special?

At some point there'll be a situation where you'll want something, and if all your backing up the "exclusive is good!" then you'll be denied access to something you might really want.

So it's only shooting yourself in the rear, at the end of the day.

Making it more available only promotes health from both sides, cryptic's and the players. It seems so win-win.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
The product purchased was Champions Online. So any and all apologies should really come in the form of something related to the product purchased.

It's about as straightforward as one can get. They advertised a lifetime subscription to Champions Online.

It's pretty exclusive too, because last I heard, you couldn't obtain it anymore. As opposed to an LTS to this game which you can still buy.
It doesn't matter. The damage is done. The sale is already made.

Lt. Commander
# 28
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacatchman View Post
I cannot fathom how getting something months ahead of someone else isn't good enough for some people.
Because we didn't actually get it months ahead. The uniforms were not delivered at launch as promised and we only had them a few weeks now.

Quote:
I also can't fathom how so many people worry about what others get or can get in the game. Dude, they pay money too. Why should you be more special?
Because we paid $200 more than anyone who buys them on the C-Store to get them. Would you be happy spending hundreds on something you could have gotten a few weeks later for a few dollars? It shouldn't be too hard to fathom why people might be upset by this.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacatchman View Post
Sell it all in the C-Store. Not only will it make more people happy than not doing it, it'll make more money for Cryptic.

At some point there'll be a situation where you'll want something, and if all your backing up the "exclusive is good!" then you'll be denied access to something you might really want.

So it's only shooting yourself in the rear, at the end of the day.

Making it more available only promotes health from both sides, cryptic's and the players. It seems so win-win.
I will already be denied access to the Galaxy-X because all of my friends already play the game. I have no one to recruit. And do you hear me joining the chorus that want that added to the C-Store? No.

Making Lifetime Sub exclusives available to everyone through an easy purchase on the C-Store destroys the image of Cryptic as a company in the eyes of their most loyal fans. Players that have been with them since City of Heroes and look forward to purchasing many other game titles from them. And all for the sake of a few band wagon players that probably won't stay for more than a month or two before they move on to SWTOR or whatever MMO is next on their list.

Cryptic is shooting themselves in the foot if they do this. We devoted long term fans are only asking for what we were promised, exclusivity.

Lt. Commander
# 30
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Because we didn't actually get it months ahead. The uniforms were not delivered at launch as promised and we only had them a few weeks now.

Because we paid $200 more than anyone who buys them on the C-Store to get them. Would you be happy spending hundreds on something you could have gotten a few weeks later for a few dollars? It shouldn't be too hard to fathom why people might be upset by this.
Look, you bought into the idea that if you paid extra money up front, you'd be somehow extra special. But over a long enough period of time, if I continue to p ay monthly, I will pay more than you ever will if the game continues to run. So you paid for an investment that might save you money down the road.

Or STO will shrivel up and die in 3 months. Look what happened to Hellgate London. It's a risk, a gamble, but potentially, you will be saving money in the long run.

You wouldn't pay me $500 if I told you I could give you the golden state bridge, would you? You never pay for something promised. You pay for something you get in hand. At this moment. If the value of saving money down the road and having access to features that were deliverable by release was not worth it to you, you shouldn't have dropped the bones. But you did.

I'm sorry the mysterious of finances elude you, but nothing promised is guaranteed. That's a lesson most people learn early on.