Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgery
"Future's End part II" of Voyager. Janeway proposes to ram the time ship to prevent it from entering the spatial anomoly.
Yep, it's this episode (one minute into the clip): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDc4i-MXWj0
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-09-2010, 04:19 PM
When I think of Ramming Speed, I always think of the Babylon 5 Season 4 episode Endgame, where Sheridan needs to take out a weapons platform before it wipes out the eastern seaboard, and the only option is to do a suicide ramming speed into the platform to stop it.

It's 34 and a half minutes into this: http://www.thewb.com/shows/babylon-5/endgame/ef0c79ba44

Yeah, it ended up not happening, but still you can see from the acting that this was a last ditch, suicidal move. That's what I think of with Ramming Speed; you're not walking away from it if you ram someone.

There was an earlier thread this week on ramming speed, and these were my suggestions on how to tweak it:

1a) Ramming Speed drops all power levels but engines to 0. Thus making the target vulnerable to being shot down before the ram happens.
1b) Resists drop to 0, and only brace for impact can add resists back.

2) Raise the ramming timer to 5-10m vs the shorter one we got w/ 1.2

3) Make it more reflective of relative mass (i.e. a bug hitting the windshield should splatter, not blow up the car and then fly away with a broken leg)

4) Remove all maneuverabilty during the duration of the effect (you're locked into your current heading for the ram, so if the target moves, you miss)
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgery
"Future's End part II" of Voyager. Janeway proposes to ram the time ship to prevent it from entering the spatial anomoly.
Great, so make ramming suicidal rather than a default tactic
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
Great, so make ramming suicidal rather than a default tactic
Agreed.

And also, ramming speed was used in the newest Star Trek....the Kelvin rammed the Romulan ship at the beginning.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Ramming speed is very canon. As mentioned it has been used several times over the years.

A way to make it a little more in line with how it is portrayed in the movies. Auto-suicide is stupid, did you not notice the list of rammers above? Still very alive. It should be crippling however, for you and your target, so I suggest that along with the damage, it disable 2 systems entirely of you and your target (each) at random for 10 seconds minimum. So if you do ram, you are going to be without something important for a little while

Also.. with ALL this concern about Ramming why not install some tractor beams on your ship? Ramming speed is a 3m cooldown, tractor beam is what 30s?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
meh. ramming speed damage is modified by size and speed, so just hit them with a tractor beam, beam repel, photonic shockwave, or target their engines to either reduce/nullify the ability.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-09-2010, 07:18 PM
In pvp once i had a fed sci ram my raptor as he was about to get killed, he didn't kill me but he took a good chunk of my hull away went from 70% to 20% , it was just enough for his fed teammates to finish me off. Most annoying.

The only problem with ram is that if the ramming ship doesn't die and he kills the weaker ship he rammed then he is free to move as normal. After the ram impact it should disable the surviving ship completely and all systems should go offline for 20 seconds, then people would think twice about attack ramming.

cloaked ram however that needs to stop though and implementing the above would help.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipermist
cloaked ram however that needs to stop though and implementing the above would help.
Perfectly viable tactic, although often hard to pull off (ooer)
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-09-2010, 11:46 PM
I didn't even notice you could ram cloaked. even if it was intended.. unshielded ram should = death.
Oh and an auto emote.. "4 teh 3mprir3!"
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Ramming Speed getting some drawbacks I can see. Removing it not at all. It's not a standard battle tactic, but it is a battle tactic.

Maybe the best solution is that it needs to ensure that you either kill both ships or you kill none. Barring that, I think a temporary (5 sec) disabling of shields and engines would be fine.