Lt. Commander
# 1 Will LTS always be available?
06-10-2010, 04:49 AM
I'm curious about this since it has some implications for C-Store and some of the debates about microtransactions.

WoW doesn't offer a lifetime that I recall, but they do have perks and rewards that require doing daily missions or other grinds. So, I personally stayed in the game for 3 extra months doing NOTHING except logging in to do dailies to get each of the pets from each faction. That was 3 extra months of revenue for Blizzard and all they had to do was add 5 pets and a handful of daily quests. That seems like a pretty good return.

I currently have a lifetime sub to STO, there's absolutely no gain to Cryptic if I log in every day to do dailies, there's no gain for Cryptic if they put items in game that encourage a little grinding, the only revenue they will get from me going forward is C-store or an expansion.

It seems to me that the fact LTS are still available creates an incentive for them to go the C-Store route instead of putting items in that require time instead of cash.

Also, let me be clear, I don't care about the few perks I got for LTS being exclusive, I would rather they kill the LTS option and make everything I got available as vet rewards (which may already be the case except for the career officer title) or rewards for doing dailies for 3 months or something if it meant that more items would appear as in-game rewards versus C-Store.

I guess on the other hand, the C-Store is "fairer" since my gametime is all free and monthy subs are paying for theirs, additional grinds make my LTS more valuable since I don't have to pay extra to grind 3 months of tokens for some in-game reward. If new items are in the C-Store both LTS and monthly subs have to pay the same.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-10-2010, 06:01 AM
i hope they stop selling lifers soon otherwise that will be the entire player base
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdman22 View Post
i hope they stop selling lifers soon otherwise that will be the entire player base
Not really there arn'T many people who are willing to shell out 300$+ for a Game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I find it curious that it is still available. Ideally, you want repeating revenue, so you would not want the bulk (or even a significant percentage) of your customer base not paying a subscription.

The fact that the lifetime sub is still available may not be a fiscal issue; it could be a public relations issue.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysis
I find it curious that it is still available. Ideally, you want repeating revenue, so you would not want the bulk (or even a significant percentage) of your customer base not paying a subscription.

The fact that the lifetime sub is still available may not be a fiscal issue; it could be a public relations issue.
I was wondering that actually.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand how it's a PR issue, can you explain what you're thinking?

My whole reason for starting this was because keeping the LTS around seemed like a poor fiscal move for STO. Assuming that the game continues to improve, an LTS becomes less risky every day. If I had been in beta or around at launch, I doubt I would have bought an LTS, but I came on a month ago and it seemed like a good deal after playing out my box month.

EDIT: Now that I think on it though, I have already bought stuff in the C-Store and I never bought anything from WoW, so maybe the psychology of the LTS is working
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
If they're smart, they'd have put a big wad of money earned from selling the initial batch of Lifetime Subs into a high-interest investment; then fund subsequent development from a combination of interest, monthly subscribers, and C-Store sales.

Disclaimer: Investments may go down as well as up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaxlor View Post
I'm not sure I understand how it's a PR issue, can you explain what you're thinking?

My whole reason for starting this was because keeping the LTS around seemed like a poor fiscal move for STO. Assuming that the game continues to improve, an LTS becomes less risky every day. If I had been in beta or around at launch, I doubt I would have bought an LTS, but I came on a month ago and it seemed like a good deal after playing out my box month.

EDIT: Now that I think on it though, I have already bought stuff in the C-Store and I never bought anything from WoW, so maybe the psychology of the LTS is working
Certainly. Remember the storm over the various incentives? Some of them got canceled (I do not remember which).

Back when they started offering lifetimes for CO, Cryptic never said what the limits were. It turns out it was the number sold and not time. To calm the storm Cryptic extended the lifetime offer.

This is what I am thinking; they may be concerned about the publicity around withdrawing the lifetime subscription offer. More specifically, they may just be trying to avoid the negative publicity.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Certainly. Remember the storm over the various incentives? Some of them got canceled (I do not remember which).

Back when they started offering lifetimes for CO, Cryptic never said what the limits were. It turns out it was the number sold and not time. To calm the storm Cryptic extended the lifetime offer.

This is what I am thinking; they may be concerned about the publicity around withdrawing the lifetime subscription offer. More specifically, they may just be trying to avoid the negative publicity.
Ah, this makes sense, thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:

It went beyond just calming the story. It actually fell into the realm of false advertisement. Nowhere in the most of the public advertisments did they mention the Lifetime subs where limited in number. They only referred to the limited time. People relied on those statements in deciding to make the purchasing decision. A lot of it was waiting until the next payday to make the purchase. One player had to go through a lot of gyrations (traveling to a bank branch, paying conversion fees, etc) to get the funds into a form that would pay for the LT Sub. Everyone relied on the advertised cutoff time. The only mentions of limited numbers were buried in a forum announcement. And when they announced they were running out of subs, it came as a bomb blast to everyone. Cryptic had to make good on things otherwise they would have run afoul with laws and regulations all over the world.