Lt. Commander
# 1 Thoughts on Apple iPhone 4
06-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Greetings all,

I would be curious to hear impressions/reactions/etc on the iPhone 4. I would also be curious to hear how many are planning to get one. The last curiosity I have is what cell phone gentle beings are using and/or which phone they believe is the best.

My Verizon phone comes up to the 2yr mark in July. My current phone is the Motorola Krave ZN4. Overall, I have not been pleased with it.

I am considering the new iPhone 4. I have never used one but have always been fascinated and curious by them. I am also considering the HTC Droid Incredible and the Motorola Droid. Each has its pros and cons.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Gullible.

Oh wait this isn't that word game?
Sorry but that pretty much covers it. (ps. that was a pun... iPhone 4 doesn't have good coverage)
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I think your would be better off with an Android based phone (HTC desire, Evo etc)

Personal preference, the hardware on non apple phones is now on a par and is not propitiatory, so i see no reason to go with the propitiatory riddled, itunes requiring Apple product.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I've got an old 3 iPhone, but won't switch to the 4 "just because". The 4 can do video chat over wi-fi. Er, okay. Other than that, I'm not sure there's much reason to switch over, and I've looked at the features, none of which jumped out and said "buy me now!".

However, that said, I love the iPhone. It has just come in so handy, so many times, that it was really worth what I pay for it. Google maps and just a simple web search have saved me time and money. Nothing quite like sitting in a retail store, searching online for the other prices of the item I'm thinking of buying, and being able to make that decision right there. Love it. True, this would be true of nearly any other smart phone, but the apps are also nice. I'm chocked full of 'em, especially the free ones. Had to buy the X-Wing game, even at its hefty price. Good fun, man! So much so that I even bought a Mac to write apps for the iPhone. Got one up for approval now, as simple as it may be.

Coverage? I'm in a large city, so 3G coverage isn't that big of an issue for me. On the road? It gets intermittent, but the fact that I'm usually on vacation when I'm doing that, I don't really care that much. Even with non-3G coverage, things still load pretty well. Just don't expect to watch YouTube videos out in the boonies.

So, would I recommend getting an iPhone? Yes. Would I recommend getting the 4? Only if you're okay with the price. I think a 3 still works fine for what I use it for.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
I think your would be better off with an Android based phone (HTC desire, Evo etc)

Personal preference, the hardware on non apple phones is now on a par and is not propitiatory, so i see no reason to go with the propitiatory riddled, itunes requiring Apple product.
Android is so much better yes.

And it should be noted that the iPhone 4 will most likely come with a much much higher price because they had to raise the salary for the sla... workers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-10-2010, 08:57 AM
While the phone itself is fine, you are going to hate the network it is on. With very few exceptions, everyone Ive talked to HATES AT&Ts coverage (especially my boss, he's ALWAYS ranting about it). Also, AT&T just started a new data program for their smartphones that is capped. Some say it's better and cheaper, some hate it. YMMV.

Personally I have a droid and love it. I hesitated because of the keyboard but finally broke down and got it after LG's phone turned out to be subpar. Still dont like the keyboard but the rest of the phone is win, especially for a hundred bucks (got mine at best buy)
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-10-2010, 09:13 AM
They've said that like 97% of users won't notice a difference with the capped service vs. current unlimited.
Really, I can understand them. While I am a proponent of unlimited data, there really needs to be something in there to dissuaded everyuser from streaming movies or some **** constantly on their phone, because it'll cripple the network at some potential futurepoint and then nobody will be happy.

But still, AT&T sucks. Verizon sucks, but in a totally different ways.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyejon View Post
Greetings all,

I would be curious to hear impressions/reactions/etc on the iPhone 4. I would also be curious to hear how many are planning to get one. The last curiosity I have is what cell phone gentle beings are using and/or which phone they believe is the best.

My Verizon phone comes up to the 2yr mark in July. My current phone is the Motorola Krave ZN4. Overall, I have not been pleased with it.

I am considering the new iPhone 4. I have never used one but have always been fascinated and curious by them. I am also considering the HTC Droid Incredible and the Motorola Droid. Each has its pros and cons.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Gullible.

Oh wait this isn't that word game?
Sorry but that pretty much covers it. (ps. that was a pun... iPhone 4 doesn't have good coverage)
the iphone 4 is more if a mini hand held computer with phone capability then anythng, it plays music, you can surf the net, it has various types of games and other applications (try browsing the itunes store for apps to get an idea on whats available) the coverage is more based on your provider, not the phone it's self....(sorry chat but you ish wrong DX you just have crappy phone service )
also the iphone has wifi capability, so if you're in a wifi hotzone you can turn off your celular connection and just use wifi ( this is good because cellular network cost money where wifi is free )
if you're interested in seeing what the iphone can do for you and have a little extra spending money, might i suggest test driving an ipod touch... the ipod touch and the iphone both + use the same operating system and the only differences between them is the ipod touch doesn't have a digital camera, and can't take phone calls, apart from that they are entirely identical. if you like it, get the iphone, if you dislike it then you can always resell the ipod touch(if you still have manufacturer warantee the ipods will sell for a good ammount )
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Android is so much better yes.

And it should be noted that the iPhone 4 will most likely come with a much much higher price because they had to raise the salary for the sla... workers.
being one of those slav...workers i resent that remark =.=
prices in the usa are 199 for the 16gb and 299 for the 32gb with a phone contract, consult your local phone provided for contact pricing (you can also buy the phones outright if you like for 599-699 )
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
You couldn't tear me and my Palm Pre apart for all the iPhones in the world.

Sprint + WebOS = endless love.

<3.