Lt. Commander
With all the buzz over bonus items, I just wanted to reiterate something I've been whispering in a few developers' ears for a couple of months but which I wasn't sure was fit for general public consumption because I can see where it would have some problematic arguments from both supporters and detractors.

Moderation is a huge issue on these forums. Maintaining a constructive, positive tone is difficult. This is true on any MMO forum and especially true here where we have a game where player expectations and the reality of the game don't align in some ways... even as marketing eagerly targets new players in ways that make existing some players feel that their commitment isn't given the level of respect they'd prefer. There are a fair number of moderators but even in the lower forum traffic we have now when compared with launch, it seems like they have trouble staying on top of reported threads and posts, much less actively moderating. There is a need for serious community building while it seems to me that marketing remains focused on prospective customers and community managers have a fulltime job acquiring information and trying to communicate the Atari/Cryptic message while relaying concerns back.

We have communicators and we have marketers but I don't feel like we have community leaders aside from the more active posters... and that can sour the whole community when a few of those posters aren't happy.

My proposal is and has been to begin having a weekly drawing for an incentive such as the Galaxy X (or something comparable), a user selected based on constructive forum activity at random.

The core idea is, they select a post from the last week at random and apply the following criteria:

- Is the post 50 words or more? If not, it's disqualified.

- Does the post violate forum TOS? If so, the post is disqualified.

- Has the poster received any infractions in the past 30 days? If so, the post is disqualified.

- Does the post address Star Trek Online? If not, the post is disqualified.

- Has the poster won before?

As long as a post passes these criteria, the poster receives a Galaxy X or some special, coveted community reward. It doesn't have to be pro-Cryptic. It can be a constructive complaint. It can be an amusing sidebar or gameplay anecdote. But it has to meet this five criteria. They keep selecting random posts from the past week until they find one.

I think something like this would encourage forum participation from a larger sample of players and help shape and build the community on these forums into a more constructive community that is more self-aware before hitting the submit button but also more eager to share feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I have to disagree with this idea. There is far too much room for abuse and positive action should be a reward in and of itself. bribing people to behave is not a solution. I will admit this is the worst online "community" I have ever been involved in. Given that, I do not thing a bribe will make a difference in any way. Trolls will be trolls.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
I have to disagree with this idea. There is far too much room for abuse and positive action should be a reward in and of itself. bribing people to behave is not a solution. I will admit this is the worst online "community" I have ever been involved in. Given that, I do not thing a bribe will make a difference in any way. Trolls will be trolls.
While I'm curious if you've ever stuck your toe into the Eve forums, I agree with the rest.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Is the post 50 words or more? If not, it's disqualified.
I've done this many times.

Quote:
Does the post violate forum TOS? If so, the post is disqualified.
If I have, no one has ever reported it, so I guess I qualify here.

Quote:
Has the poster received any infractions in the past 30 days? If so, the post is disqualified.
I never received one.

Quote:
Does the post address Star Trek Online? If not, the post is disqualified.
Always.

Quote:
Has the poster won before?.
No.

Where's my Galaxy-X? :p

Not a bad idea, but there is a few problems. People who post more often will have better odds of being chosen. Also this isn't fair to players who never or rarely come on the forums. Further some players come on here only to ask questions, I don't think it is fair for them to not have a chance at getting that special item.

On a selfish note, I'm always on here comment and answering player's questions, I want a reward!! just kidding.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
What about all the people that never post or visit the forums? Not fair! WAH!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-10-2010, 03:01 PM
OP, I think it has the potiential to be a good idea, but pretty much ruff around the edges. I can see how this would cause issues with some people that actually earned the X the normal way(5 referrals + purchase game + 1 month sub). Also if it counted for current existing threads, Darren_kiltor would automatically win the first week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
The community isnt bad "Ingame",infact I think its great, however the forums are full of trolls/flamers/ignorant people that I have EVER seen in ANY MMO. So I guess a definition of "community" is subject to interpretation. I honestly wish Cryptic would just ban the people whom are consistantly causing trouble and starting flame wars or negative non-constructive threads/posts. The dev's are far to forgiving on these forums.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-10-2010, 03:04 PM
My compromise: Make these special items the Veteran rewards. It would make sure that it's not 'grindable' while also rewarding the truly devoted STO players.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Not a bad idea, but there is a few problems. People who post more often will have better odds of being chosen. Also this isn't fair to players who never or rarely come on the forums. Further some players come on here only to ask questions, I don't think it is fair for them to not have a chance at getting that special item.

On a selfish note, I'm always on here comment and answering player's questions, I want a reward!! just kidding.
Actually, the way statistics work, more entries do not increase your chances of winning, depending on how the selection is conducted. Each entry has the same odds. More entries do decrease the odds of you not winning but each discreet entry has the same chance of winning as any other post.

Likewise, you could give everyone who posts a chance at winning and randomly select an active user.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus-X-1
What about all the people that never post or visit the forums? Not fair! WAH!!!
The point is to get them to, to make forums more representative.