Lt. Commander
# 11
06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizman
OP, I think it has the potiential to be a good idea, but pretty much ruff around the edges. I can see how this would cause issues with some people that actually earned the X the normal way(5 referrals + purchase game + 1 month sub). Also if it counted for current existing threads, Darren_kiltor would automatically win the first week.
The core idea is to create incentive to take part (getting more players on the forums) and making people wary of crossing the line into infractions. As it stands, getting a mild infraction here or there isn't something many people think twice about as they know they're allowed a few. (Unless Bill Roper personally bans them without them hitting the required number of infractions - ha!)

Think of it like perfect attendance certificates in school. You don't want to adopt such a tight zero tolerance policy that you ban people after a single infraction but a regular reward for people who DON'T get infractions may help people police themselves, personally.

It makes me think, when I make a post, "Will this get me an infraction?" and I have to consider that before I hit submit. You don't want to impose sanctions on a single infraction but you want to develop some system to train people to want to avoid the first one at all costs.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
IMPO, I like the spirit behind the proposal, but I think in the end it would just create a dystopian message board.

On one hand, you'll have the people who will be afraid to post anything that might disqualify them. Certainly, the quality of posts may increase, but the quantity may also suffer After all, the less one posts, the less likely they'll post something that might disqualify them from the contest. It might encourage paranoia more than quality posting.

On the other hand, you'll have the posters that just don't care. These may be jilted players or those with a sense of schadenfreude. They may receive an infraction or two and decide that their chances of earning the prize will be nil, or that it will be too hard to keep their noses clean. And if that's the case, why even try at all?

In essence, the amount of quality posts overall may decrease while the quantity of trash talking, trolling, insulting, non-constructive feedback, etc. may increase. This would be the exact opposite of what the proposal tries to engender.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Actually, the way statistics work, more entries do not increase your chances of winning, depending on how the selection is conducted. Each entry has the same odds. More entries do decrease the odds of you not winning but each discreet entry has the same chance of winning as any other post.

Likewise, you could give everyone who posts a chance at winning and randomly select an active user.
If a random post is chosen then the more you have that meet the requirements the more chances you have of being chosen. If a random player is chosen then the odds are equal for everyone. As you said it depends on the selection process.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
And what would the selection process be? We've outlined the criteria for selection and the award, but not the pool which will be compared to the criteria. Will it be a random thread? Random posts from several thread? What if it's a thread in which a person isn't interested? Would that be fair to other players, for example, to look at threads in a PvP Feedback forum for players who don't do much PvP?

As far as I can tell, this is only half a proposal, but it's missing the important part - from where the "graded" post will come.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
And what would the selection process be? We've outlined the criteria for selection and the award, but not the pool which will be compared to the criteria. Will it be a random thread? Random posts from several thread? What if it's a thread in which a person isn't interested? Would that be fair to other players, for example, to look at threads in a PvP Feedback forum for players who don't do much PvP?

As far as I can tell, this is only half a proposal, but it's missing the important part - from where the "graded" post will come.
It may be simpler to:

Select a player at random.

1. Is their account active? If not, disqualified. Re-select.

2. Did they make any posts on the forums in the last week? If not, disqualified. Re-select.

3. Did they earn any infractions in the last 7 days? If not, disqualified. Re-select.

By looking at a 7 day window on infractions, you avoid the issue of people who get one infraction and give up. It just takes you out of the running for that week and the infraction message sent out gets amended to reinforce to players when they get an infraction that they have been disqualified from a reward drawing for that week.

Something like:

Quote:
Remember, when you get an infraction, you miss out on the chance to win an <awesome prize>. This reward is given every week to one lucky poster from the forums. Don't be discouraged, if you can go next week without earning more infractions, you'll have a chance to win then. We want to hear back from you and we want you to have a chance at <awesome prize>. To do that, we need your reedback and we need for you to follow the forum rules at (EULA link).

Also remember that getting enough infractions will cost you your posting privileges. We don't want that to happen. We want you to continue to help us make a better game and keep the lines of communication open.

Remember, you can't win <awesome prize> if you don't post but you also can't win it if you're cited with breaking the forum rules. Think twice before you post and try to give us concrete, constructive feedback about thing things you love -- and the things you hate -- in STO and we'll do everything we can to give this wonderful community the rich galaxy it deserves and put you in the running for something special for your constructive participation in the future!