Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I am glad that the Dev's set some restrictions to the AH and killing of the high prizes in the AH.

This is Star Trek and we are Starfleet Officers (I dont talk about the Klingonside now)
Star Trek isnt about making serious cash.

Although a Free-Trader Market sounds nice, if the prices will be somewhat fair... not like: "Oh look I have a super-hyper-rare-epic-phaser beam bank and I sell it to ou for about 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 Energycredits...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
06-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue
Yes, we have trade windows (or, at least we did last time i checked)!

Your idea of a mailed 'catalogue' is a good idea (but only if you ask for one first!).
it would have to come down to a group of people ot do it. like a guild or something. atleast to kick start it off. you would have to have people to do the sales, and runners to get more items from the bank, and people would have to spread the word. like " hey come to risa's first open air free market, this Friday 6pm pst to 8pm pst. " at first it could happen once a week, make it kind of like an event. or something like that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
06-10-2010, 03:43 PM
What about the lack a truely rare items? There isnt much worth going nuts over that isnt BOP or available with marks or badges.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
06-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-94699
I am glad that the Dev's set some restrictions to the AH and killing of the high prizes in the AH.

This is Star Trek and we are Starfleet Officers (I dont talk about the Klingonside now)
Star Trek isnt about making serious cash.

Although a Free-Trader Market sounds nice, if the prices will be somewhat fair... not like: "Oh look I have a super-hyper-rare-epic-phaser beam bank and I sell it to ou for about 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 Energycredits...
I agree, the exchange is fine for no-nonsense transactions. Some people simply want to grab an item and go, and the exchange is prefect for that.

I'm thinking that a player-created free market would do three things:

First, it would add some much-needed "flavor" or atmosphere, especially if the Ferengi got involved.

Second, it would provide a true challenge to the players who enjoy trading.

Third, it would provide some true "user-generated" content that was completely independent of development.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
06-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
it would have to come down to a group of people ot do it. like a guild or something. atleast to kick start it off. you would have to have people to do the sales, and runners to get more items from the bank, and people would have to spread the word. like " hey come to risa's first open air free market, this Friday 6pm pst to 8pm pst. " at first it could happen once a week, make it kind of like an event. or something like that.
Absolutely, it would start off slowly, and require some effort to build. But that is no different from starting any business venture: there are costs and risks involved, but the rewards are much greater as a result.

I love your ideas about runners and paid shills- that's exactly what I had in mind.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightw8
What about the lack a truely rare items? There isnt much worth going nuts over that isnt BOP or available with marks or badges.
I disagree- while we could definitely use truly rare items, there are specialty markets ripe for exploitation, such as hard-to-find food for the Tribble breeders, or large stacks of data samples for those who are sick of scrolling through page after page of exchange spam.

Also, as in the example I mentioned, a good salesbeing is able to create a demand through creative marketing or superior service. I'd bet that there are people out there more than willing to pay extra to have an item mailed or delivered.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
An Idea of starting this would be picking a nice location.

Take a look at Drozana Station in the Eta Eridiani Sector. Its a social hub for both factions. The ideal trading-place for free-traders

And if the word spread about this, this might become a favorite place. Now all you need is fancy stuff you couldnt get elsewere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue
Here's an idea: start your own market.

Instead of complaining about a cap on the exchange, or posting fees, or time limits, why not do use your lobes, and see it as an opportunity?

Make it simple- get together with some other traders, find an accessible location, such as Risa, and turn it into a free marketplace. Become a specialist in hard-to-find items, or an opportunist- hawk your wares, establish your identity, build your market share.

In other words, grow some lobes and be a real trader, facing real competition and real challenges.

Set up a Trade chat channel; market yourself and your items- build a brand identity and cultivate customer loyalty. Make it known that the exchange is for chumps.

Or, set up several markets- DS9 is the place to go for weapons! Andoria's where you get the best deals on data samples!

Sure, it would take time and effort, but it could be done, today... unless you prefer complaining about the free ride you've been getting on the exchange...
-Crafters frustration inc-
Dude... dont take this frustration towards yourself or your post, its not meant towards you or anyone in particular, I promise and certainly not meant to offend although it may some fragile soul... I'm actually glad you brought up because now I can say this somewhere and echo what players in my fleet and otherwise have been trying to say all this time.

When the game supports that type of trading economy Ill get out there and stand on risa, vulcan, andoria, chonos, ds9 or anywhere else i can sell my stuff, but until the developers realize that you cant have player run economy when your literally giving the items away for exploration, endgame content, daily missions, random drops, and lets not forget memory alphas crafting that isnt crafting at all, rather, only allowing you to mod items for mods... that again, are available everywhere else in the game. Lets see...Did I miss anything? Oh yea, you cant lose items thats it.. no decay, no item loss, nothing... in the way of creating supply and demand. There isnt much room for that gameplay at all. And when other players have been asked about it, they want a totally catered and handfed deathpenalty that comepltly forbids the loss of any item for any reason...

Sorry its the frustration ;( nothing more.
That said, im not so worried about an item cap in a game that really has nothing of value to sell.
So while I and im sure many other would be contributors to the whole business aspects and immersive economy entirely possible in sto sometime in the future maybe, I appreciate the sentiment, in my opinion, this isnt supported due to current game play thus not worth my time nor anyone elses to camp on risa interrupting what little roleplay there actually is if any, with GET YOUR MARK X COMBAT ENGINES HERE!" spam on the empty beach or in some chat channel no one even uses because they're on TS or vent.

Now that I got that out of the way, I think its a great idea personaly and really wish that were the case, for the record, I like your mindset towards economy. We need more opinions like yours and maybe with your help, we can help make this game play available for anyone who chooses to pursue it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Ok, sure you're frustrated, and there's no question that adding a variety of craftable items would improve the trade situation.

But I think you're missing two points: first, it seems to me that most of the people complaining about the lack of trading want it all handed to them- I'm simply challenging them to walk the walk. There is no reason they could not get started immediately, because people are, in fact, buying things.

Second, regardless of how much crafting opportunities there are, it would be necessary to start somewhere, and there <i>are</i> potential markets out there, even if crafting is limited right now.

In other words, i see "would be" contributors sitting around waiting for Cryptic to deliver an insta-market, not willing to make the kind of effort that an actual free-market system entails.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue
Ok, sure you're frustrated, and there's no question that adding a variety of craftable items would improve the trade situation.

But I think you're missing two points: first, it seems to me that most of the people complaining about the lack of trading want it all handed to them- I'm simply challenging them to walk the walk. There is no reason they could not get started immediately, because people are, in fact, buying things.

Second, regardless of how much crafting opportunities there are, it would be necessary to start somewhere, and there <i>are</i> potential markets out there, even if crafting is limited right now.

In other words, i see "would be" contributors sitting around waiting for Cryptic to deliver an insta-market, not willing to make the kind of effort that an actual free-market system entails.
Actually we're waiting for a market that supports this play, we want to build this through crafting and trade, not have it handfed through lootdrops. Which is actually the point.

Clear the drops, restructure crafting we'll do the rest problem solved.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 AM.