Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
Over at syfy wire, they posted a story, where Stan 'The Man' Lee gives his 2 cents on an African American playing the role of spider-man.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/stan-le...ican-ameri.php

Now IMO if they are going to reboot spider-man to begin with, I say why not redo the whole story. Look at it this way, we have the Ultimate Universe, so why not open the door to something like this. Heck we are already mad over the last movie, which wasn't that great, so maybe this will move the story back on track, but with a new look.

I resect everything Mr. Lee has to say on this topic, after all he help to pen the Spider-man, and it was part of his empire at one time.

So what do you guys think on this topic? Should there be an African-American cast as Spider-man for the next movie?
i didn't read the notes, but i like the idea on 1 CONDITION... it's explainable... like a black dude enherites spidermans power or an evil dude trys to turn black guy into an evil spiderman but instead black spider man becomes good.
aslong as it's explainable and there is a slight difference between original spidy and black spidy... having the same original storeline only with a black actor is just dull, boring and been WAY over used... except for the black part... but just because you change the skin color does not mean you can redo the entire begining story all over again and have it still be interesting
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmugato View Post
I would understand this this thread if it was in a SPIDERMAN Forum web site..But what is it doing here? Oh I forgot,this site is suppose to be about STO..Are you guys that bored? and who cares if spiderman is black or white...he should be a Klingon in my book..! That would be interesting !
you haven't been in ten foward very long have you?
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Before I respond, I am a black man so don't take what I say as racist.

Just keep it the way it was. Honestly, does it really matter what colour the character is?

If Stan Lee wanted a black spiderman, he would have created one. The average black hero is a resemblance of Shaft- Gun toting, womanizing, and hot rod car driving type of hero. There is no way in h*ll that a black man is going to be swinging through the air between buildings and swooping down to save the fair maiden without his Glock 9 or getting some booty....Really, think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagnum
Before I respond, I am a black man so don't take what I say as racist.

Just keep it the way it was. Honestly, does it really matter what colour the character is?

If Stan Lee wanted a black spiderman, he would have created one. The average black hero is a resemblance of Shaft- Gun toting, womanizing, and hot rod car driving type of hero. There is no way in h*ll that a black man is going to be swinging through the air between buildings and swooping down to save the fair maiden without his Glock 9 or getting some booty....Really, think about it.
well, what about the black panther, he doesn't has guns, or booty......
there always was a short comic series if i remeber about a black spider man >_>
blade is black he rarely uses a gun and doesn't get booty.
various xmen are black, then don't have guns or booty, like bishop... bishop is black...
there are lots of black super-heros most or just not overly know about due to #1 when most of the super heros were created it was still a pro-white world and black heroes were just not done (it was politically incorrect) and #2 it's hard to come out with new super heroes in a world dominated by so many already pre-existing super heroes.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Ok before people start with there isn't a lot of black Superheros, go have a look at this list of names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_superheroes

Stan Lee along with other comic writers/ artist, have a good number of black Superheros, and no not all of them carry guns or talk in tones you can't understand. I hate when people think just because you don't look like them, then you must be from outter space. lol

Anyway, I found a hero I would love to see made into a movie. Blue Marvel would be a cool supperhero type to do, and you could get my guy The Rock to play the lead role. I mean after that Tooth Fairy movie, he needs a good actrion film, to flush that bad taste ASAP. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I have no issues with a black spiderman or any other superheroe for that matter as long as it makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
Over at syfy wire, they posted a story, where Stan 'The Man' Lee gives his 2 cents on an African American playing the role of spider-man.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/stan-le...ican-ameri.php

Now IMO if they are going to reboot spider-man to begin with, I say why not redo the whole story. Look at it this way, we have the Ultimate Universe, so why not open the door to something like this. Heck we are already mad over the last movie, which wasn't that great, so maybe this will move the story back on track, but with a new look.

I resect everything Mr. Lee has to say on this topic, after all he help to pen the Spider-man, and it was part of his empire at one time.

So what do you guys think on this topic? Should there be an African-American cast as Spider-man for the next movie?
It all depends. If the y leave the character essentially unchanged except for the shade of his skin that would be fine, maybe even good. However, some would deem that as little more than tokenism unless he embraced his African-American heritage, which gets to be tricky. You then have to consider what elements work within the story, and what detract. For example, I just can not see our webhead swinging around Manhatten while trying to keep his pants from flying off.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Geeky, awkward white boys are a dime a dozen. But geeky, awkward black guys?

Do we really want Steve Urkel under the spidey suit?

*thwip!* *CRASH!!* Oh, did I dooooo that?
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
... although. That could be a lot funnier from the "Laura Jane" aspect. >.>
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM
No it won't work, Peter Parker is a weird, geeky, insecure white boy. Why do we feel the need to make every so PC nowadays, the relentless hunt to politically correct everything has made the campaigners and vehement proponents of the movement as intolerant and authoritarian as the society they feel the need to 'fix'. This inevitably leads to further and deeper issues but then again if I say I want everybody else to be treated the same regardless of race, religion e.t.c then I am a racist.

The fact remains Peter Parker is not black (African American is an impossibility and an oxymoron on a number of levels) in the same way that making a movie about Martin Luther King/Blade/any of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_superheroes

would be sacreligious with a white protagonist.