Lt. Commander
# 21
06-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkem View Post
I'll go to E3 for ya. It won't even cost you more than a hotel room and bar tab, couple of shots and I'll PR the hell out of the game.
Don't tell me this is a thinly veiled reference to beer goggles? :p
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Former Everquest drop from Grieg's End?

Lt. Commander
# 23
06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Former Everquest drop from Grieg's End?

Stats were bugged. It makes everyone around you appear to have +20 charisma. :p

Anyways, I'm excited for Season 2 to hit the test servers.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Would you rather the artists spend a week making booth scrolls or ships? ;-)
Just send your marketing people. It's win-win: they'll be in their element, and out of your hair to get actual work done.

(and to keep costs down, let 'em rummage through the dumpsters in the back of the event center for sustenance/shelter)
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Quote:
I didn't think it was thinly veiled.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Just send your marketing people. It's win-win: they'll be in their element, and out of your hair to get actual work done.

(and to keep costs down, let 'em rummage through the dumpsters in the back of the event center for sustenance/shelter)
Even if we don't send any devs, it still costs the team time getting things ready for it. Back in my early days at Cryptic I did a lot of the programming-support for getting demo builds ready and loaded onto the road computers. Each conference basically eats a week of time from 5-6 people.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Ironic. As a comic book artist who's freelance, and not based in New York, scaring up steady work is pretty hit or miss. But since I'm a small operation, like you guys and gals with E3, I can't always make the big cons. Like San Diego. So I understand where you're coming from in your first post. But am now way too green with envy at your SD presence. Curse you all!

Don't look at me, the only con I can usually manage to get to each year is PyCon (fingers crossed for Djangocon this year though). Hotels are too bloody expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Even if we don't send any devs, it still costs the team time getting things ready for it. Back in my early days at Cryptic I did a lot of the programming-support for getting demo builds ready and loaded onto the road computers. Each conference basically eats a week of time from 5-6 people.
Oh wow. Again I can relate. In my last "office" job, I was part of the crew that helped put together their stuff for their industry conferences (they did consulting for private schools). And we were a smaller company (60 employees total) and it had the exact same effect. It would eat up a ton of time from about 5 to 6 people and then about a half day from the rest of the people as we got vans/cars loaded with the materials.

Quote:
Don't look at me, the only con I can usually manage to get to each year is PyCon (fingers crossed for Djangocon this year though). Hotels are too bloody expensive.
My friends keep pushing me to try Otakon. But I keep opting for Small Press Expo each year.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
I don't think we have sent people to E3 in a while now. For a small company like Cryptic (at least compared to people like Sony or Nintendo) we just don't have the spare brain cycles (or sacks of cash) to really put time into it. Our priority is the game, and it just wouldn't be a good use of our resources to try and outdo the various giants. Would you rather the artists spend a week making booth scrolls or ships? ;-)
Ships! Ships! Well unless they're for the C-Store, then I don't care.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:
There are some big announcements coming in August according to Zinc.

What expos/conventions occur during that time period?
Depending on the game's theme, Dragoncon is normally Labor Day weekend.