# 1 starship-shadows flickering
06-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Good day,
first of all my system:

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
-Radeon HD 5850 with Catalyst 10.5
-Windows 7 64 Bit
-4GB Ram

in the video-menu, i set the overall-graphic-settings-bar on max-quality which includes the "High"-setting for shadows. but somehow, the shadows that are cast on the ship's hull (they are cast by parts of the ship itself like the warp-drive tubes) start to flicker as soon as i move the ship in any direction.

the only way to stop the flickering is to set the shadows on "Low", which isn't really an alternative in my opinion.

can somebody help me out?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I think it does this for everybody.....

I wish I could. I think it is a general game engine problem. My brother sees it and he has a new Nvidia card and I have a crossfire ATI....same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-21-2010, 02:41 AM
not 100% sure but i do think its just how the graphics work..maybe its meant to look like your traveling though multiple light sources

I got annoyed with it enough that i just turned shadows off, it also means my fps stays high 50's even in very large scale battles or particle heavy maps
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NzFox
not 100% sure but i do think its just how the graphics work..maybe its meant to look like your traveling though multiple light sources

I got annoyed with it enough that i just turned shadows off, it also means my fps stays high 50's even in very large scale battles or particle heavy maps
Turn off the shadows, it's what I had to do as well. I've learned to live without the shadows on since the days of Neverwinter Nights original release.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I find that shadows are sketchy in a lot of games. They tend to clip through objects ( such as seeing the shadow of some guy on the roof of the building on the ceiling INSIDE the building ) and have a unnatural look to them.

Sometimes I turn them off, because they just don't match the artistic look of a game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
'k,
thanks for answering...too bad the shadows look that bad in the game....

but still, my brother told me that he hasn't seen any flickering so far, so i guess it is NOT a stylistic device....
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-30-2010, 01:37 AM
This happens to me as well. ATI Radeon HD 4870
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-09-2010, 03:12 AM
I had graphical glitches and flickering too. I checked the Option "force verify" at the game launcher option screen, so the game checks all game files on the next run. It took like 3 or 4 minutes at most and it solved this issue for me, the flickering is gone.

On a sidenote, I use a single geforce 280 GTX with the newest driver.

Salutations,
Dani
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukh
I had graphical glitches and flickering too. I checked the Option "force verify" at the game launcher option screen, so the game checks all game files on the next run. It took like 3 or 4 minutes at most and it solved this issue for me, the flickering is gone.

On a sidenote, I use a single geforce 280 GTX with the newest driver.

Salutations,
Dani
thanks Roukh that seems to work but the next day it's back again. Is there something wrong with the files?
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-31-2010, 03:47 AM
It's because they use shadow mapping instead of shadow volumes, so the resolution of the shadows is limited by the resolution of the shadow map, whereas a shadow volume would have clean lines.