Lt. Commander
# 121
12-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom View Post
I don't think you need more power levels for a calculator. It would be far more interesting to see the values of combinations (i.e. 2 dual heavy cannons + 2 turrets) there. While you can guesstimate those combinations from your graphs the margin of error is to high for a calculator.

And I'm aware that completing that logs is far more work than 'just' adding another power level graph
I think the margin of error is actually not that high. The quick tests I did before were off by a few percent, but I think it's because the tests themselves were off by that amount. Garbage in/garbage out.

I figured out a new way to test by entering a PvP instance with a friend. Not only does this take any possible noise from losing the firing arc or not keeping the exact distance out of the equation, it also has allowed me to test things in a much less time consuming way. That means more results, which should be more accurate in themselves, in less time.

This has allowed me to not only test at lower power level, but also to retest at 100 (and soon 125).

With these more accurate results it should be possible to calculate the DPS of different weapon combinations with at least a decent amount of accuracy. I can't guarantee it will always be 100% accurate, but it should be accurate enough for most people's purposes.

No matter what it's simply never going to be practical to test every single weapon combination out there, so some calculations will be necessary.
Lt. Commander
# 122
12-09-2010, 06:14 AM
I just tested my calculator by running a real weapons test.

The build I used was 2 cannons, 1 Dual Beam Bank, 1 Beam, 2 Turrets (I was trying to come up with the weirdest build I could think of).

The calculated results of this build was: 405.376
Actual measured results were: 411.488

The difference was only about 1.5%, which I'd have to say is pretty damn close. If you make a couple different test runs you will see fluctuations of a couple of percent just based on random chance, so who is to say whether the calculated result is off, or whether the test itself is off (most likely a little of both).

Anyway, look for an update in the next week or so. I'm thinking of rewriting the guide since I've discovered so much new information since I first did it, and maybe I can make it a little bit more easy to understand in the process. I believe I will also start a new thread since a lot of the conversation in this one is out of date.
Lt. Commander
# 123
12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Great information you give here. Just one remark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post

Single Cannons seem to be pretty well balanced, with damage output approximately 15% higher than Beam Arrays, but having a slightly smaller firing arc. Unfortunately, they lack the ability to provide broadside damage, unlike Beam Arrays.
There is a small overlap between single cannons and beam arrays. It's hard to maintain but some broadsiding is possible with forward single cannons and aft beam arrays firing at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 124
12-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuXi
Great information you give here. Just one remark:

There is a small overlap between single cannons and beam arrays. It's hard to maintain but some broadsiding is possible with forward single cannons and aft beam arrays firing at the same time.
You're right. The calculator I'm working on actual takes that into account and can report the damage for that overlap arc, but the guide doesn't make that clear. I believe when I was writing that part of the guide, I only considered weapons to be broadside capable if they were able to fire across the entire arc.

I'll make a note to update the original guide with that information. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Lt. Commander
# 125
12-21-2010, 06:11 AM
I uploaded the new results for 75 power, 100 and 125 power. Things didn't really change much on 100/125 except that the old results were apparently low for 8 beams and 8 turrets. Even at 100 power you can go all the way up to 8 beams without really losing damage (it goes down slightly, but so little that it makes little difference). On the other hand, 8 beams don't actually do more damage than 6 beams at 100 power, so it's a bit questionable whether it's worth it.

These new tests also include the results for adding turrets to frontal damage weapons (DHC, DC, DB, C). There are a couple of things that I want to do a quick verification on (DHC+turrets at 100 WP which seems off compared to 125), but these should be more accurate than the old results.

I also have the 35 and 50 results finished, but I need to clean up the graphs before uploading them.

I'm discontinuing the 135 weapon results since they are calculated and I don't want to take the time to verify them. I'm also going to discontinue the weapon efficiency chart since it is not especially intuitive to use or particularly relevant.
Lt. Commander
# 126
12-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'm also going to discontinue the weapon efficiency chart since it is not especially intuitive to use or especially relevant.
Oh. I seem to remember liking that one.
Lt. Commander
# 127
12-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Oh. I seem to remember liking that one.
Well, I'll consider trying to put them up again later. The problem is that with so many charts now, it takes a lot more time to get them all ready to go. With only a single weapon test set at 100, it wasn't a big deal since there were only two charts. With 5 different power levels, if I do the efficiency ones, there are 10 charts, and I have to manually adjust the labels on each one, so they aren't covering the lines or overlapping with each other (which makes them difficult to read).

Once I get the other two charts uploaded, do a few recheck tests, and get my calculator finished, then I can spend a few minutes on the efficiency charts. Since I expect this is the final testing I will be doing, I can probably manage to get them uploaded if anyone really wants them.
Lt. Commander
# 128
12-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I don't even remember why I liked them, so don't worry too much.
Lt. Commander
# 129
12-30-2010, 02:23 AM
One question that doesn't let me rest is whether there's a difference in hard- and softcap.

Means, that a power setting of >125 delievers a higher dps, due to more weapons firing with 125 energy.
Lt. Commander
# 130
12-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Thats something i would like to know too.

At far as i know, 125 is max power.
If u have more the power u got more than 125 is used up first when u shoot.
So if u have 135 weapon power (only 125 is shown) and u shoot an 10 energy weapon ur shown power stays at 125.

U dont get more dmg over, because 125 weapon power already is max dmg bonus.
But if u shoot 4 weapons (10 energy each) and u got 165 weapon power every shot will deal max dmg.

Am i right?