Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 61
11-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Well, I'm back, finally, and able to do some testing again. I've completed tests for 125 weapons power for those who asked.

Weapon Damage Scaling Graph (125 Weapon Power)

On this graph you can see how running at higher energy levels allows you to effectively use more weapons. The drop-off in damage with each additional weapon is not as drastic. Note that I have not tested turrets except for 7 turrets, and the single weapon values are currently calculated. I will verify the single weapon results in game in the next few days, and also try to get turrets tested.

Turrets are still suffering from the cannon energy recovery bug. It was fixed for cannons, but not for turrets. I'm trying to bring this to Cryptic's attention, but I'm not sure anyone there cares. It doesn't seem like any work has been done to fix poorly balanced weapons or powers for many months. I guess it simply is not a priority to actually fix bugs in the game, which I find somewhat baffling. If you have a chance please send in a bug report.
Maybe there is no priority for your pet bug, Nagorak, but other issues have been fixed lately, so it's not like they are doing onthing. They are just not doing what you personally care about. (For example, dId it bother you lately that the Sensor Contacts in one of the Romulan Sector Blocks lead to Terran Empire enemies instead of Hirogen, Romulan or Reman enemies? )

I agree that it's weak that they overlooked the turret bug - how hard can it be to test all weapon cycles and energy return cycles after you make the bugfix for cannons in the first place?!
Lt. Commander
# 62
11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate thoughtful empirical research like this. You are a major asset to the community, good Sir.
Lt. Commander
# 63
11-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Maybe there is no priority for your pet bug, Nagorak, but other issues have been fixed lately, so it's not like they are doing onthing. They are just not doing what you personally care about. (For example, dId it bother you lately that the Sensor Contacts in one of the Romulan Sector Blocks lead to Terran Empire enemies instead of Hirogen, Romulan or Reman enemies? )

I agree that it's weak that they overlooked the turret bug - how hard can it be to test all weapon cycles and energy return cycles after you make the bugfix for cannons in the first place?!
Well, I'm glad they are fixing some bugs, but there are a lot of other bugs that are going unaddressed. Was that mismatched encounter really a new bug? I seem to remember experiencing something like that months ago. It seems to me that in the desire to create more content too many people have been shifted off of fixing problems in the game as it exists. The turret bug is far from the only problem. When things currently in the game don't work right, it makes me question how things being added to the game can be properly balanced.

But, anyway, hopefully these things will eventually get fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 64
11-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate thoughtful empirical research like this. You are a major asset to the community, good Sir.
/Quoted for Truth!
Lt. Commander
# 65
11-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
Ditto. Computer games all come down to math. The more we know about the math behind the game, the better the players we can be. Thank you for sharing.
Lt. Commander
# 66
11-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Thank you. Good job
Lt. Commander
# 67
11-11-2010, 12:07 AM
I've updated all of the charts to include 8 turret and 8 beam tests. The turret damage results were kind of inconsistent, probably due to the effect of the energy recovery bug, which makes the specific firing pattern of the weapons more important, but I believe I completed enough tests to average out most of the variation in results.

In addition, I've used the 125 power level results to calculate results for 135 weapons power. The old overcapping behavior was removed from the game some time ago, and there now appears to be a hard cap at 135 weapon energy. Going beyond that point does nothing to reduce weapon energy drain. Thanks to ThomasGideon for figuring this out.

With the soft cap at 125, it should be possible to determine the behavior of firing weapons at 135 power, because at 135 you can essentially fire an extra weapon for free. By multiplying the weapon results at 125 weapon energy by the efficiency of one fewer weapon, you should come to the results at 135 weapon power. In other words 7 beam arrays fire at 62% efficiency at 125 power, so at 135 power, 8 beam arrays should fire at 62% efficiency. By multiplying 8 beams by 62% efficiency, you get the 135 weapon power DPS.

Given all of the moving parts of the combat system, it's possible these results aren't 100% accurate to in-game, but I believe they should be very close to accurate. In any case, it should be accurate enough to give us a sense of the possibilities when going up to 135 weapons power.

Here are links to the updated charts:

Weapon Damage Scaling 100 Weapon Power
Weapon Damage Scaling 125 Weapon Power
Weapon Damage Scaling 135 Weapon Power (calculated)
Lt. Commander
# 68
11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I also updated the guide and commentary to reflect the changes to overcapping, and the new test results.
Lt. Commander
# 69
11-11-2010, 12:20 AM
CaptainGeko reports that he fixed the Turret Energy Recovery bug. Don't know when it goes online, though.

I remember ThomasGideon made some tests with energy levels yesterday on Tribble (at least I think he was on Tribble, I read his messages to a "co-tester" on the TTS channel), and he also seemed to discover that overcapping now goes to 135.

Odd choice by the Devs. Intentional?
Lt. Commander
# 70
11-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
CaptainGeko reports that he fixed the Turret Energy Recovery bug. Don't know when it goes online, though.

I remember ThomasGideon made some tests with energy levels yesterday on Tribble (at least I think he was on Tribble, I read his messages to a "co-tester" on the TTS channel), and he also seemed to discover that overcapping now goes to 135.

Odd choice by the Devs. Intentional?
I'm glad to hear that turrets are finally getting fixed. I'll hold off on running any more tests on them until the patch goes through on Tribble.

I read ThomasGideon's post in the forum about it. The 135 cap does seem like an odd number. It could be that it was intended so that you could get the benefit of PDM consoles or something, but logically one would think the cap would just apply at 125. I mean, with science powers or shields there is no benefit for overcapping at all. At the same time, allowing people to go up to 135 isn't that overpowering either.