Lt. Commander
# 1 Perpetual's STO
06-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Came across this on Suricata's blog. It's quite interesting, really. I had no idea they were that far into the development of the game when the dropped it. It's also surprising, when looking at the images, how many game elements and graphics cryptic kept when they picked up the project.

http://suricatasblog.wordpress.com/2...uals-sto-tour/

Enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Not very much because pretty much everything Perpetual did was purely concept art.

See all those fancy "in game shots"? Yeah... Not so much in game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
None, and I don't think they were very far along. I say that because i followed its development and the development updates were few and far between. When MMO developers do that, it is likely vaporware. Perpetual was ambitious, but lacked the resources to pull it off.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I gotta say I'm relieved we dodged some of the bullets mentioned there.

Fargo station? say what? I would assume that Spacedock and hopefully eventually Earth should be the main hubs not some station no one has ever heard of.

Sharing ship control sounds... painful.

And now that I've seen BoFFs in action? I could never imagine not having them.

The Tahoe Edison and Ramjet classes looked pwnsome though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-13-2010, 11:06 PM
wow, Perpetual's STO seems really Epic. Cryptic did used some of the old ideas, but in my mind, the Cryptic vision seems a little less epic then Perpetuals (no offensive Devs ). ... or maybe its just because of the cool art work...

At any rate, we have Cryptic's love now, I just pray we get the Edison and old Excaliber Classes, after all we got the Lowa Class...
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, all cryptic got was graphic elements and gameplay concepts. Of note is that someone who was on the Perpetual team commented that the clunkiest aspects of the game design were pretty much what Perpetual had already had planned. Ground combat. Space? Perpetual didn't even have space PLANNED OUT yet. All those 'screenshots'? Just artist renderings. Lies, basically...
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-13-2010, 11:25 PM
They had some nice ideas but overall I'm really happy with how the game turned out to be under Cryptic. That's not to say that there isn't any room left for improvement, but the game already improved radically since launch and I'm confident it'll continue to do so.

Art-wise I like the more realistic look Cryptic went for vs the cartoonish look of PE, I mean, just look at that alien contact in that screenshot...
On the other hand I think they were gonna do more voice overs, which would have been cool too, if done well that is.

Can't wait till Cryptic fixes our own BOs voice overs, they were in-game in the betas but got removed since they weren't perfect yet, which is a shame really.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown-210 View Post
wow, Perpetual's STO seems really Epic. Cryptic did used some of the old ideas, but in my mind, the Cryptic vision seems a little less epic then Perpetuals (no offensive Devs ). ... or maybe its just because of the cool art work...

At any rate, we have Cryptic's love now, I just pray we get the Edison and old Excaliber Classes, after all we got the Lowa Class...
I like the sound of sector space as they envisioned it. It sounds a lot better than what we have and although it was only ideas (as far as I know) I would dearly love to have that system than the giant grid of blue mess we have now.

As for the ships you mention... if you're not joking then I hope you never get in a position to make such decisions because the Excaliber (sic) is ugly as hell. It reminds me of a hand puppet with nacelles! It's also basically a Galaxy class with the stardrive section squashed to make it shorter. If you really want to see the Excaliber just go into one of the Deep Space Encounters and look near the spawn points. It's the floating hulk in one or more of them but I forget which. A very suitable fate for it and hopefully gives Cryptic's position on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
I gotta say I'm relieved we dodged some of the bullets mentioned there.

Fargo station? say what?
I read it as "Farout" station at first but I had just woken up.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishka
They had some nice ideas but overall I'm really happy with how the game turned out to be under Cryptic. That's not to say that there isn't any room left for improvement, but the game already improved radically since launch and I'm confident it'll continue to do so.

Art-wise I like the more realistic look Cryptic went for vs the cartoonish look of PE, I mean, just look at that alien contact in that screenshot...
I sortof...agree.

But remember that the screenshots show much more than Cryptic's current customisability, AFAICS.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Of course the PE one sounds more epic and fun, but quite the same way a book can afford to have massive space battles portrayed in it, that a TV equivilant or movie spin off cannot. PE's design document will sound more epic in writing than the visual version that Cryptic put together. Whats different is that PE's design will always "afford" more to the epicness than Cryptic's game will be able to do in budget.