Lt. Commander
# 41
06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Really??? The Pre-Order FAQ was posted only a few days after the 'Perks' were announced, and it has the following...

http://www.startrekonline.com/preorder-faq
Ah yes the mighty Pre-Order FAQ page that got changed a dozen times alone between December 2009 and 2 February 2010. That page that listed the wrong preorders going to the wrong vendors for a time. Your source of unreliable information has confounded me. How dare I rely on my own memory instead of the fluidity of information found on a site wanting to cover its own butt. Maybe I should send you a picture of the box?

I also like how people assume when I am ticked about something that implies a threat of non-playment in STO. I never said that. I am a lifetime subscriber, I still intent to play. At the same time I expect Cryptic to provide equivalency.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamion View Post
Caitians are fine, other C-store items I am ****ed with. Looks like for the most part all the 'unique' in game items from pre-orders that you wouldn't be able to get unless you preordered are now available in c-store. This seriously ticks me off, especially when back before release they assured us they were not going to do this. Is Cryptic going to provide some sort of other bonus to those of us who invested in the preorders, or do they simply not care about customer loyalty?

I have to say this erks me, this really REALLY erks me. And from someone who invested in a lifetime sub, I am a bit paranoid about them selling us down the river in a year or so.

Actually, they were very clear that most of that stuff would eventually go into the C-Store. They said that there were no plans to do it at the time, but that the would probably go in, eventually.
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for adding Caitians (and all of the other new C-Store items)!

I was calculating how many C-Points I'll need (about 1200-1300 to start), and I had a hearty laugh when I saw that the USS Enterprise is EIGHT HUNDRED C-Points! Naturally, I'm going to get it (even though it *is* a Cruiser), but I thought it was hilarious that that one item costs as much as 2/3 of the rest of my shopping cart ... combined!

Thanks VERY much, Cryptic for giving us access to these toys.

Now, about Caitian Bridge Officers ...!
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Ah yes the mighty Pre-Order FAQ page that got changed a dozen times alone between December 2009 and 2 February 2010. That page that listed the wrong preorders going to the wrong vendors for a time. .
So how does this change the validity of the quote???
Quote:
Q: Will the exclusives be offered as a microtransaction?

A: Not at launch, but somewhere down the road we may offer to let people purchases these if they did not pre-order.
There was a lot of disinformation being spread in the Forums during Beta. Many people claimed that the 'Joined Trill' would have 5 species Traits, but was actually a misinterpretation of the 5 Skill bonuses that the 'Joined Trill' Trait gave... When I looked into this myself at the time, I could find no supporting dev posts to support this, but that didn't stop people from making that claim...
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
I bought the Borg Bridge Officer-Amazon Prorder because it was a "Limited time offer, available only while Preorder supplies last".
As later clarified by Phoxe and GM_Litana this was not the case. Those borg come with every amazon purchase of the game. And still to this day.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
The people who initially bought the preorders, did so to support the game from the beginning. And in turn they were promised a reward. Now Cryptic is going back on that, instead of rewarding customer loyalty, those of us that have been here since the beginning, they violate us.
Okay, I'm probably in the top 2% of people who've spent money on this game. I have the Champs Lifetime that gave me the Mirror Uniforms. I have the Preorder Lifetime that gave me the Liberated Borg. I have the Collectors' Edition. I have the Digital Deluxe. Before all of this, I had the Rifle, the Borg B.O. (okay, that one was a gift from a friend, but bear with me), every possible uniform combination including the Wrath of Khan, the Multi-Spatial Shield, the Pre-refit Enterprise and the Del Taco shuttle. I have many, many shiny things, and have had them for quite a while. I have more character slots (and characters) than anyone else I know. I have Joined Trill, Pakled, Ferengi, Klingon, Tellurite and now Caitan Captain options. I am not rich, but when I have had spare cash, this has been what I've elected to spend it on. I did it because it was fun. I did it because I wanted the in-game kibble. I did it because it made me happy.

Now, a lot of those things are available for a lot less money in the C-Store

And I couldn't possibly, possibly care less.

Look, the nature of the world is this: it costs more to get stuff early. I knew that then. I know that every time I make an electronics purchase or a car purchase. The only time something's value appreciates is when it is rare and someone dies -- and since we can't sell either our accounts or the stuff on them, that doesn't apply.

Whether or not someone else gets the ability to play as a Joined Trill or wear a Mirror Universe halter top doesn't change my ability to do so. And if they got to do so for less money than I did, so what? I got to do it months before they did. I have all this stuff because I like the stuff, not because I like lording it over everyone else.

If Cryptic takes away your Targ and Tribble, retroactively turns your TOS Enterprise into a garbage scow and otherwise eliminates the stuff you bought from your account, by all means pitch a fit. But screaming about all this because someone else gets to have the cute shiny things is just petty.

If you didn't want the stuff, you shouldn't have bought it. If you only bought it so you could feel superior to the folks who didn't, I have little sympathy now. Play your own game. Enjoy your own game. Stop worrying about whether or not you got a raw deal -- you got exactly the deal you signed up for.

And as many people have pointed out, they said all along they would probably do this. I made my purchases knowing that possibility would eventually be a probability. And I didn't regret it then and I don't regret it now, because you know what? This is pretty cool kibble, and having it makes my game more fun, and I don't really mind if someone else gets to enjoy it too.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Did people complain when they paid so much to get an early iPhone or iPad? Did they later accuse Apple of 'betraying' them? No. And you know why?

Because Apple wafts psychoactive drugs into their stores...er, I mean because they were happy to pay the premium to be an early adopter.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
How dare I rely on my own memory instead of the fluidity of information found on a site wanting to cover its own butt. .
My memory of the same period of time, when all this was hashed out long before the preorders even opened for sale, was that they very carefully made it clear that all the stuff that were pre-orders then would likely become available through other means eventually.

So, if it's memory vs. memory, I'm going to trust mine over yours, since even then I remembered thinking "when they go ahead and do this think of how many people are going to assert they claimed the exact opposite of what they're really claiming now." That there's archival evidence to support it just seals it.

Let me ask you, seriously and honestly without any desire to anger you... what exactly are you losing by this? What can't you do today that you could do yesterday?
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSpeck View Post
Hair would probably help a lot. Right now they are kinda weak looking. Like sticking a lion head onto a human body.
I take back the "weak looking" bit. They look much better ingame than how they appear in the official screenies. Still need hair though and since they don't have digitigrade feet I probably would have forgone the tail. Still though they look good.
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSpeck View Post
I take back the "weak looking" bit. They look much better ingame than how they appear in the official screenies. Still need hair though and since they don't have digitigrade feet I probably would have forgone the tail. Still though they look good.
I think it's a good start, and I think the faces are amazing. I'm hopeful that when they do the upgrades to the game hair they implement full manes (it only makes sense, since M'ress actually had a full mane). As for the digitgrade feet, I'm a little surprised they didn't pull some of the tech from Champions Online. But, there may have been skeletal issues.

Maybe about the time we get Edosans they'll be able to do paws.