Lt. Commander
# 11
06-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite_asgard View Post
Ramming speed is not so easy to pull off, but is very effective. I find it funny when smaller ships will ram when they are about to die.

Yea all those abilities for boosting and countering ramming speed can easily change the course of any match.

I don't like being rammed either. Does anyone? Lol. It is an ability to use and I do not think players use it enough. It seems pointless for the most part in PvE because usually computers have more hull value. Might as well use it in PvP and a chance to catch players off guard.
PvE ships have more hull and they automagically hit brace for impact... Even on 'shutdown' ships. Try it on Sharian's Swords sometimes. Forget trying it on Elite.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Ramming Speed's damage can be boosted with additional Speed Tools:

Now for those who don't like being rammed, then i suggest you use defenseve measures, like "Brace for Impact", Tractor Beam Repulsors, or simple evasive to get out of the way.
How do you defend against this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFLUqSjuKwY

YOU CAN'T! You can't avoid someone you cannot see!

Basically what he does is cloak, full impulse, drop full impulse, uncloak, hit brace for impact and ramming speed. Result, huge damage with no way of stopping it. And he flies away pretty much unscathed, maybe pop an engineering team to heal the 15% hull damage he took.

I've seen this uncloak ramming work way too often. It does take some skill, but there is no counter, except to be already buffed up and get lucky.

The problem with ramming speed is that it was intended as kind of a last resort, last hurrah kind of attack. Not a standard attack that it is right now. I can't play through a match without some klink trying to ram me (usually i get rammed multiple times). Usually they are successful because my cruiser is about as maneuverable as the space shuttle.

I don't think the damage of ramming speed needs to be nerfed, but the effect of the rammer needs to be a lot more (dmg). Also ramming should cause some side effect to your ship. I mean hell you just rammed another ship at high speeds. I think if you ram someone successfully you should have 2 random subsystems disable for 10 seconds. Makes sense, because your crew should have been thrown around like ragdolls. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMFQg...eature=related

So a bigger penalty to the rammer should make ramming a more of a last ditch move instead of an alpha strike ability.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Bigger penalty for ramming ship, disables all forward weapons for 10 seconds (or more) and no direction changes allowed as well as a longer cooldown timer. That's my final offer if we're going to forget about the possibility of using it at only a set percentage. Actually I'd also throw on an immunity of sorts so that even if five or more people all ram you at once only the first to hit you does anything. I can already hear the cries of how unrealistic that is to which I'll simply say it's as realistic as having five starships all co-ordinate a ramming attack at the start of a battle.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoTheIndianCircusBoy
How do you defend against this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFLUqSjuKwY

YOU CAN'T! You can't avoid someone you cannot see!

Basically what he does is cloak, full impulse, drop full impulse, uncloak, hit brace for impact and ramming speed. Result, huge damage with no way of stopping it. And he flies away pretty much unscathed, maybe pop an engineering team to heal the 15% hull damage he took.

I've seen this uncloak ramming work way too often. It does take some skill, but there is no counter, except to be already buffed up and get lucky.

The problem with ramming speed is that it was intended as kind of a last resort, last hurrah kind of attack. Not a standard attack that it is right now. I can't play through a match without some klink trying to ram me (usually i get rammed multiple times). Usually they are successful because my cruiser is about as maneuverable as the space shuttle.

I don't think the damage of ramming speed needs to be nerfed, but the effect of the rammer needs to be a lot more (dmg). Also ramming should cause some side effect to your ship. I mean hell you just rammed another ship at high speeds. I think if you ram someone successfully you should have 2 random subsystems disable for 10 seconds. Makes sense, because your crew should have been thrown around like ragdolls. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMFQg...eature=related

So a bigger penalty to the rammer should make ramming a more of a last ditch move instead of an alpha strike ability.
Ok that's pretty ridiculous. That video just shows how effective ramming is. To your guys part on penalty, that could counter out the use of ramming speed to not allow for ramming speed to be over powered.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-24-2010, 07:17 AM
I'll give you the decloaking then Ramming... Thats as bad as automagically getting in Brace for Impact.

But... If you look at the guys damage 13K here, 19K there on unshielded ships as a finshing move.... Nothing wrong with that.(caveat: I think I saw a crit for 50K)
The part that bothered me more was that a number of times in the video, they player would start an 'attack run' on a ship with full hull and by the time they connected the hull was down <25% so that the Ram would be enough to finish the target. But that may have been teamwork or opportunistic gameplay on the part of the player.
In and of itself, there's nothing wrong with Ramming Speed with the possible exception of the CD timer.

The ability to de-cloak and ram is overpowered.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-25-2010, 01:12 PM
you don't need to get all extreme on the penalty. just cap the amount of boost you can get from a speed bonus, and make the speed bonus apply after all other bonuses.

if it disables your ship for 10s it mighta s well be Abandon Shiip.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Honestly, I feel that ramming speed's damage is fine. But it should cause equal damage to the ramming ship.

As another poster said, it should be used a last resort when you expect to die anyway and you want to go out with a bang.

Alternatively you could use it while at full health to quickly finish off a damaged opponent at the cost of a large hit to your hull.

"Perhaps today IS a good day to die!"
"Prepare for RAMMING SPEED!"
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I think Ramming Speed is out of line. I have nothing against the ability on principle; but people exploit this power. I have been one-shotted too many times while at full or near-full hull with resists running by ships as small as Bird of Prey, and they come out of it relatively unscathed. It's absurd. With a 3 minute cooldown, this can happen several times a match.

There really needs to be some penalties to this; either it needs to return to its previous 5 minute cooldown (which is hardly a nerf), or the Ramming ship needs to take as much or more damage than what it rams-- it should be a desperation, last-ditch effort move. If he's going to buff up to one shot someone with ramming speed, that ship should get blown to bits too. Or you could even put a cap on the damage it does; say 20k damage.

Alternate ideas I've seen is only allowing Ramming Speed to be used when your ship is at a certain percentage of hull; say 50% or less... how many times in Star Trek cannon do you see an unscathed ship ram another?

As-is, though, it's a very exploitative and abusable power. Not everyone uses it like that, but I don't think anyone who legitimately uses Ramming Speed would be hurt by any of the changes listed.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Ever since I've picked up my Gal-X, I've been a target for ramming speed in PvP. I mean it's bad. The problem with ramming speed is that it deals damage to your opponent but nothing happens to your ship in most cases. If you ram a ship you should either be dealt heavy damage yourself or be destroyed entirely. I hope this issue is looked at and fixed in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Agreed. RS should destroy both ships if enough dammage is done or at the very least leave both ships heavily, heavily wounded to the point of being almost useless.