Lt. Commander
Logged in the other day for the first time in a long time and wonder of all wonders, I actually *had fun*. Not sure why, I think it might have been the accolade system and maybe the changes to memory alpha. I am a goal-oriented person and having something other than nebulous promotions every 11 or 10 levels or whatever seems to be doing something nice for me.

Let you get me wrong, I still have a plethora of problems with the way Cryptic does things. I know one should never say never, but I'm fairly certain I will probably never spend so much as a nickel on another one of their products.

But I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience as me, wrote this game off totally and then logged in to be pleasantly surprised?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Really, the opposite. As time wears on, I write this game off more and more. I'm reserving final judgment for Season 2, though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post
Really, the opposite. As time wears on, I write this game off more and more. I'm reserving final judgment for Season 2, though.
I think that's going to be do or die time for a lot of Cryptic's remaining customers. It seems like quite a few have written so.

As for me, I'm surprised I'm having fun.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamek View Post
I think that's going to be do or die time for a lot of Cryptic's remaining customers. It seems like quite a few have written so.

It's probably the difference between seeing the changes little by little and not really being wowwed, and seeing them all at once after months of being away.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-16-2010, 12:47 AM
I've certainly had more fun once I got involved into PvP (I had only dabbled in it for a few dozen rounds prior to RA) and Dailies (I never understood the attraction until STO).

However, I can definitely sympathize with the content drought as at least two STFs were pushed back (Into the Hive and Children of Khan) - not to mention Weekly Missions (now slated for Season 2.0).

However, I've seen new subscribers on the uptake and I imagine Season 2 will ameliorate some (not all) concerns.

That said, I've never disliked it - just had it fluctuate from Fair to Good to Fair. I'd level my alt but I really want to experience as much Klingon Content the way a new player would to get an accurate comparison between the two.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Not really. Still havent played in weeks. Wasted money on a LT sub. Dont even know if I want or can give this game a chance when there are games out there that are released with seemingly full content and with less bugs.

This game is a good example of how not to launch and what not to do when it comes to creating an MMO. Also, cant find a copy on the shelves at the local Gamestops (they have them just in the back) but I can find Lord of the Rings Online still.

Hoping things pick up with season 2. Just doubtful that it will be anything to tell my friends and try to convince them to play or change the poor reviews or cause a revisit of any of the numerous poor reviews. Just going by Cryptic's track record and their MO in creating MMOs.

Its impossible to get players to come back once their bridge is burned. So many quality games out there, why play this?
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamek View Post

A lot of MMOs seem to have this trend where major content patches are "do or die" time for them. But MMOs are glaciers. They plod along. At a slow pace. Eventually they leave a gash in the landscape of the industry filled with the rants of those it left behind, but as they surface, more and more of their mass is revealed over time.

In any event ... I'm having fun doing my usual. I decided a long time ago to tie my two highest level characters into the B'Tran cluster. My main, a human "captain" who runs a sovereign class cruiser is on a semi-diplomatic mission but has found himself trapped in a 4 way interstellar war between the Phaonians, Crimto, Starlians and Strekellans.

It doesn't help that the Borg keep cropping up since they invaded Gamma Orionis space. Nor does the ever present threat of the Klingons or the Undine help matters. But he basically runs between Pike City over on Cestus III and the B'Tran Cluster.

My other "captain" is a Strekellan. Who has joined Starfleet. And he and his team have helped reconfigure a Nimbus class science vessel with Strekellan technology and they are at the forefront of the first major diplomatic bond between the Federation and any of the 4 major players in the Battle of the B'Tran.

So yeah, I can see how 3 dailies every day get boring. But I do my best to write a story and tie mine together. Makes them so much more fun. And I plod along with the game at a slow pace, since the game is slow moving.

It works great for me. Others' mileage will vary.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-16-2010, 01:35 AM
I have wrote up this game.

Since Cryptic put up all the exclusiv stuff on C-Store it's obvious that they want to milk as much cash as from the community before this game dies.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I have wrote up this game.

Since Cryptic put up all the exclusiv stuff on C-Store it's obvious that they want to milk as much cash as from the community before this game dies.
Yeah that's a major let-down. It almost feels like the game's life cycle is super accelerated if you know what I mean.

I'm sure someone will come along to criticize you for pointing this out, to which I will tell them "I'll beat this horse until *I* know it's good and dead!
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-16-2010, 01:43 AM
You guys realize that 2.0 is bringing 6 new levels. A new ship or set of T5 ships. Orion Female outfits. The Breen. A new sector. Possibly some Iconians. Ship Interiors.

The C-Store kerfuffle of the past few days will be a distant memory once all the new content gets pushed out.

6 new levels. That's a big step forward for a game that's dying?
Closed Thread