Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I have been doing some thinking the last days... about exclusive items... and i have arrived at some conclusions:

1. Items that give a player an game-play advantage should not be exclusive. That would be unfair! (Extra efficciency points... super-tribbles etc.)

2. Items that you will have to look at/interact with a lot, should not be exclusive. If it enhances the visual experience, it should not be exclusive. (MU uniforms etc.)

3. Exculsive Items should be items that does not have a great influence on gameplay. (Titles, badges, ready room trophys...)

To make my point clearer:
When i say some items should not be exclusive, I do NOT mean they should be available for everyone at once! How about attaching them to Accolades? For a new player just starting the game, it will be real frustrating to see that there is an object he really want's but can never get. The only reason beeing that he did not have the opportunity to buy the special edition... (could be because of availability/economy/etc..) This will feel very unfair, espesially if it means you can never get a gameplay bonus, leaving you at a disadvantage. This is a way to scare off new players! If the items were tied to accolades, gaining these rewards would be an incentive to keep playing the game! Just think about gaining the MU uniforms after completing MU episodes! Now that's a kick-ass reward! Or how about getting the Borg-BO as a veteran reward?

My main message is: Make the game as appealing as possible for new players! Getting new players is essential for the continued growth and expansion of the game! Don't scare them away!

How do you feel about this? Any comments? Please be polite, i've not stepped on anyones toes on purpose
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Cryptic "gave out" special edition content to the C-Store due to player demand for some of the stuff.

However, they abused the word "Exclusive". Exclusive means 'restricted to a few people'.

And regarding point #1. Some of us bought extra boxes to access these exclusives. Fair's fair.

Regarding point #2. Uniforms most people have no trouble with (MU Uniforms were a CO Lifer offer, though and ergo shouldn't be in C-Store).

However (coinciding with #1), anything from a SE that gives a bonus is exclusive, such as Red Matter Capacitor, Automated Defence turret, etc. These are performance enhancing bonuses, and should really be added the last to be added to C-Store.

Regarding point #3. anything in C-Store aren't "exclusive" any more, as it's available to everyone. Ergo, common.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-16-2010, 07:06 AM
I agree to the point of poor business-ethics on cryptics part. Naming the items Exclusive and then putting them up for sale is streching it too far... even though they still have to be bought...

As for the word exclusive, much of the stuff is still available if you buy another copy of the game. Adding it to the C-Store just makes it easier available and (a lot) cheaper...

And I still think the game will benefit from this. I know the MU uniforms made the game much more rewarding to me! Of course it would have been nice if they made a seperate costume 'resembeling' the MU uniforms.... I also would prefer them adding a version of the joined-trill rather than making the exclusive one available. But as long as it saves time for cryptic, and as long as they will use this time to make more content, i'm not complaining

As for the Red Matter Capacitator and the defence turret. They REALLY should be made available to everyone! (I have the RMC myself, and think it really sucks! shared cd with batteries and 2x the cd time of batteries!)

I already had the TOS,TNG,DS9 and Kahn costumes and I don't care that these were made available to others. I'm just thrilled about getting the MU cosyume (so what if you call me a perv ;P )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
Naming the items Exclusive and then putting them up for sale is streching it too far... even though they still have to be bought...
Exclusive in this case does not mean "no one else will ever be able to buy them ever".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
Cryptic "gave out" special edition content to the C-Store due to player demand for some of the stuff.
There was no demand for those items. it was an attempt to draw people back with shiny new objects they wished they had. Not to mention sell a few Cryptic bucks in the meantime. I rarely post on these forums for a reason (they're a mess) but I do follow them fairly close and I never once saw a thread that was so big and overwhelming of people demanding access to exclusive items.

This was a ploy plain and simple. It might have worked for some, and alienated many other people.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
I agree to the point of poor business-ethics on cryptics part. Naming the items Exclusive and then putting them up for sale is streching it too far... even though they still have to be bought.
I thought it was Atari that did that and not Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I thought it was NCSoft instead of Cryptic with City of Heroes, but it seems reguardless of publisher, it's Cryptic's call at the end of the day.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Just let it go guys. Money can be earned. And before any of you accuse me saying that I didn't buy more than one copy of the game for the exclusives. /buzz wrong!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
I have been doing some thinking the last days... about exclusive items... and i have arrived at some conclusions:

1. Items that give a player an game-play advantage should not be exclusive. That would be unfair! (Extra efficciency points... super-tribbles etc.)

2. Items that you will have to look at/interact with a lot, should not be exclusive. If it enhances the visual experience, it should not be exclusive. (MU uniforms etc.)

3. Exculsive Items should be items that does not have a great influence on gameplay. (Titles, badges, ready room trophys...)

To make my point clearer:
When i say some items should not be exclusive, I do NOT mean they should be available for everyone at once! How about attaching them to Accolades? For a new player just starting the game, it will be real frustrating to see that there is an object he really want's but can never get. The only reason beeing that he did not have the opportunity to buy the special edition... (could be because of availability/economy/etc..) This will feel very unfair, espesially if it means you can never get a gameplay bonus, leaving you at a disadvantage. This is a way to scare off new players! If the items were tied to accolades, gaining these rewards would be an incentive to keep playing the game! Just think about gaining the MU uniforms after completing MU episodes! Now that's a kick-ass reward! Or how about getting the Borg-BO as a veteran reward?

My main message is: Make the game as appealing as possible for new players! Getting new players is essential for the continued growth and expansion of the game! Don't scare them away!

How do you feel about this? Any comments? Please be polite, i've not stepped on anyones toes on purpose
Cryptic has given the two LTS subsets items that fit what you're saying.

- STO Lifers got a special badge. That no one else has. Only them. It marks them as Lifers and is exclusive to them and no one else can have it, but everyone else can see it.

- Champions Lifers got a special action figure. That game treats action figures like content. There are rare action figures that you can build in the game. Which require quite a bit of effort. There are rare action figures that come from in-game events. Some people collect these action figures. And it's a long list. And there are some very rare dropped ones. And there are some you can buy in their C-Store. But the one that the lifers got is theirs. All theirs. And lets anyone know, visibly, that they are a lifer.

So I think Cryptic already did what you are talking about here. Little fluff things that set Lifers apart as being unique and special and different.

A Title could be added to these. And that would work too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauwyn_Vorec
There was no demand for those items. it was an attempt to draw people back with shiny new objects they wished they had. Not to mention sell a few Cryptic bucks in the meantime. I rarely post on these forums for a reason (they're a mess) but I do follow them fairly close and I never once saw a thread that was so big and overwhelming of people demanding access to exclusive items.

This was a ploy plain and simple. It might have worked for some, and alienated many other people.
This, in spades.

Any other claim as to why they did it is invalid in light of this. It was nothing more than a "ploy", a ploy that will fail, ultimately.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 PM.