Lt. Commander
# 1 And I'm outta here...
06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I know, I know. Big deal. Every day there are people who drop in to say that they're leaving, and every day more people arrive. I'll try to avoid the screen door on my way out, thanks.

It's just that, after hanging in there for months, it's become increasingly clear that Cryptic's priorities were 180 degrees away from my own. STO is never going to become the kind of open, free ranging game of exploration that I wanted. It's never going to be a place where I can sit in the big chair, watch the stars go past, and really wonder what's going to happen next. It's never going to be a game where I have to face a tricky situation and rack my brain for a solution that will save my ship, my crew, and maybe even my Federation.

Even the questions that Cryptic was asking in polls showed that my idea of Trek wasn't even an afterthought. I didn't care if I could play my shoot 'em up mission in the corridors of my own (instanced) ship rather than on the surface of some (instanced) world. I wanted to go into my ship because there was a reason, because there was something that needed to be studied, some puzzle that could only be worked through by pulling together my officers and crew. I wanted Cryptic to understand that diplomacy didn't mean running fetch quests for a different image in the window. I wanted to see a wholly different level of interaction, of growth, and of story. I wanted to put the nose that-a-way and discover new systems, new races, and new lifeforms.

I didn't want the corporate number-crunching of EVE. I didn't want the hack-and-slash of a fantasy MMO. I wanted to "boldly go." But I'm not going to find that here.

For those of you that are finding that the game scratches your Trek itch, best of luck. Live long. Prosper. All that jazz. For me it's time to pack away the avatars and the ships, pull out the DS9 DVDs, and dream of what could have been.

Thanks to all those who have helped me both on the forums and in flight.

(Funniest item of the day: on Cryptic's cancellation page, there is a place where you can tell them why you are ending your subscription. One of the choices is "not enough instances." -- but not one of the things I've seen thousands of players request is on the list)
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-16-2010, 02:50 PM
sadly it is a big deal anytime someone cancels. this game needs all the players it can get. STO isnt everyone's cup of tea and those that do like it seem to feel the cup is only half full.

sorry this game didnt give you the "feel" of star trek u wanted. but they dont have an easy job of making this game appeal to the masses of players.

im greatful that they have listened to the players and are trying to make this the game we want it to be. instead of the usual 'i quit" threads more productive ideas would be more useful

like i want this game to give me the feel of "your ideal dream here" hopefully somewhere down the road it gets what you wanted and we can bring you back into the fold.

all cancelled subs are bad for STO and all will be sorely missed
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Best wishes and have fun in the next game. Don't forget to check back here every now and then.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Good Luck, and I feel your pain, alls I want is a good Trek experience, and have settled for modded versions of other space games for my fix.

I leveled my charecter to Cmndr lvl 2, and am not at all interested in continuing my game at this time, I'll give em another month or so, but I'm really not expecting any major improvement.

FYI: I have spent more time in the forums in the last 2 weeks, then in game. Way more.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-16-2010, 07:10 PM
mmo's are about the people you play them with. if you are playing by yourself this or most mmo's are gonna not really be your thing.

if your only cmdr 2 you have missed half the story line of quests all the STF's AND tons of the ship classes.

have you tried klingon, or different officer...........? i know the dif between tac, engi , sci are VERY noticeable

do you play with friends? try to find a fleet that has similar interests that you do. the GAME is much much more fun when you are playing with people you like.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtftintin View Post
mmo's are about the people you play them with. if you are playing by yourself this or most mmo's are gonna not really be your thing.

if your only cmdr 2 you have missed half the story line of quests all the STF's AND tons of the ship classes.

have you tried klingon, or different officer...........? i know the dif between tac, engi , sci are VERY noticeable

do you play with friends? try to find a fleet that has similar interests that you do. the GAME is much much more fun when you are playing with people you like.

I appreciate the concern, and I agree. I'm not saying it is a bad game, or that I'm not going to finish it, just that I have to get over it not being what I was looking for....so in a week or two, I'll prolly start playing more.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtftintin View Post
To play off the OPs note about the cancelation page ... all the instancing makes this game VERY difficult to be social in.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Bye and have a good time in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-17-2010, 12:42 AM
I promised myself to not post my own 'I canceled' topic, so I will just drop my 2 slips of Latinum here.

I agree 100 % with the OP.

After almost all my friends left during the first weeks after launch, I sticked around. I really thought things would get better. In the lower missions, there were some indicators that things I would have wanted in the game were about to come. For example, there is the lowbie patrol mission where you need to talk to mining workers and later answer questions correctly. I figured it was a really easy riddle and later, there would be harder ones. Where a wrong answer might start a rebellion or whatever. Instead, this tiny piece of diplomacy remained the only quest of its kind, and I soon learned that it doesn't even matter what I say or do because you can't fail a mission and everything is linear anyways. Zero choices to make. Oh, no, correction: You can make a choice much later, to help Section 31 or not. Did both. Didn't change a thing. Again, zero consequence.

Flying around or on ground missions, walking around alone, was... strange. I thought MMOs were about the social part, team work and such. Instead, I found myself searching for ANY social interaction, like... another player, anyone. Not to speak of finding a fleet, or a team, or just someone to chat and hang out in a social area. After standing alone with some bored NPCs on Andoria, I realized that there are few social areas in general and they have zero appeal to be visited.

Like many others, I also wondered what the heck my bridge was for. I could stand around, with NPCs - even my own crew ignored me - and do really nothing. No sensor readouts. No scanning for vessels to hail. No putting anything on the main viewer. No holodeck, no sickbay, no engineering, no nothing. Same on Deep Space Nine, said to be THE roleplay social hub. Umm, not even Morn was there. And we all know Rule of Acquisition 286 - When Morn leaves, its all over.

I really tried hard to make the best of it all. I did missions beyond my ethical threshold - killed random scientists in a medical research facility, killed the guests of a bar, threatened and killed countless species trying to scan the same 5 rocks I was supposed to scan. For some reason, whenever I went out to go where no toon has gone before, the Klingons, Romulans or a Federation outpost was already there. Though I didn't personally run into the Borg defending artifacts from their third dynasty, I dealt with a fair share of situations beyond logic, canon, good and evil.

Trying to visit the homeworlds of my species, I found not one of them was even on the map. Searching for skills or abilities my species were known for, I found nothing. My Ferengi cut through Klingon mobs just like my Vulcan, and they were equally logical and had equally (zero) talent for business. I joined the KDF to... yes, find pretty much nothing. Just less of everything, and a bunch of people wearing Bob Marley tribute hairdos, but barely any Klingons.

I found really nothing of the diversity in Star Trek. I found 20 or so playable species, but it seemed everyone and their mothers played the same 5 of them. Planet of Hat style diversity: Your brave crew encounters a new galaxy, and everyone is a Liberated Borg, or a Joined Trill, or a Fed Klingon, or wears a hat.
Call me nostalgic, but somehow I kept thinking of the old Masters of Orion games, where you lead a stellar empire to glory, knowledge or profit. There were always at least 3 factions, and against better knowledge, I had somehow expected the same in STO. That the major powers of the quadrant would somehow be present, and a player could work towards their goals or at least take on a cultural identity of theirs. But nothing. I join Starfleet, even if as a Pakled. Or I get some spiky boots and a Bird of Prey as an Orion. In other words, species mean nothing here. Star Trek, that is all about species. About combining skills, about the one crew member who is for some reason immune to the effects of a threat and saves the ship, about exploring other cultures, about getting along despite different values. In STO, everyone has a hat. Uniformity. It doesn't matter if you are a Klingon in the Federation during a war against the Klingon Empire. There is zero moral conflict, actually no-one - really NO-ONE - finds it strange. There is no quest challenging your cultural ideas, no task 'only a [fill in species] can do' with a unique trait. There are only rubbermasks and the same linear missions you have to do, if you agree with them or not, if you know its a trap or not, if it goes against your personal sense for right and wrong or not.

It reflects in any part of the game that you are just a rubbermask. Ground combat is probably the worst, right after the absence of any diplomacy. You can be a 1 m 'tall' bobble headed pink whatever named HURTZ, and have exactly the same abilities as a Klingon or Human or - you name it. I had expected - and, what probably had kept me playing - unique abilities. Stats that make a Klingon a better Bat'Leth fighter than a Bajoran. Stats that make a Vulcan a better scientist than a Pakled. Stats that make a Ferengi a better businessman than a Bolian. But its all the same.

Major gameplay mechanics, item stats, nerfs, that all didn't concern me too much. Sure it would have been nice if bugs like Ker'rat would have been fixed. Or if there had been more missions in general. But in the end, they would have been all the same, too. With no choice, no consequence, and no matter who and what you are.

So, what did I pick on the 'sorry to see you leave' survey as a reason?
Bad customer service.
Because a part of me feels it is false advertising to claim this is a Star Trek game. Any text based chat roleplay is more Trek than this. I may not have fancy graphics there, but it counts what I do, it counts who I am, and my Ferengi flies a D'Kora and my Nausicaan flies a Talon. Which are, by the way, two examples for the game permanently rubbing in your face what you can't get. 'Nanana, you wannabe pirate! Look, all the other pirates have Ferengi, Nausicaan and Orion ships, just you have a Federation vessel' Yeah, thanks for the fish, I'll be back on my asteroid base and raid some Bolian freighters, cya.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Two Years
06-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Yeap I am holding to my two years idea. For STO at there current rate to getting near a complete MMO. They are year behind most MMOs because the launched the game to soon. So instead of taking one which is normal STO will need two.
Closed Thread