Lt. Commander
# 21
10-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
As far as all the synchronization goes, how is that any different than the synchronization that already occurs in a PvP battle?
Binding an entire team of players into one ship, and unbinding and re-binding them back to their ships when they all disband. All this has to be added to the client and I doubt that STO's client was created with such behavior in mind.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Binding an entire team of players into one ship, and unbinding and re-binding them back to their ships when they all disband. All this has to be added to the client and I doubt that STO's client was created with such behavior in mind.
I dont deny that. However, there have been many changes since launch that were not original designs.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
I dont deny that. However, there have been many changes since launch that were not original designs.
Of course there have been changes like that, that's the nature of software development. However, claiming that nothing new is added when you're changing existing code, isn't an accurate statement because there's always the risk that your changes could add wonderfully unforeseen bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, lets just say the Devs DID impliment a system like I described in the OP. If you think it would be boring, you wouldnt have to use it. It gives no advantage to those who choose to do so, so why would you care?
Beside the massive waste of development time, it would also open up new frontiers of game balance and content design for the devs to screw up.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Beside the massive waste of development time, it would also open up new frontiers of game balance and content design for the devs to screw up.
Massive? You have absolutely no idea how much time this would or wouldnt take. Neither do I, but thats why I'm not throwing around terms I have no idea about.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Massive? You have absolutely no idea how much time this would or wouldnt take. Neither do I, but thats why I'm not throwing around terms I have no idea about.
Fixing little synchronization issues like the Beam Overload bug took months...

Also, the primary reason cited by the devs (including the Infrastructure team, which is the level this would need to happen on) for why implementing bridge navigation isn't feasible is because our ship and our captain character are the same inseparable code object. Adding the technology to split them into two locations at once would be a major recoding effort and place much greater strain on the servers' processing capacity. How much less complex could it possibly be to jam multiple logged-in users into one character-ship object and dynamically connect and disconnect them?
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Really? Considering the fact that nothing new is being added, I dont see how. But feel free to explain it.
yeah, they're ONLY coming out with the Foundry CB in a week or two.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
yeah, they're ONLY coming out with the Foundry CB in a week or two.
I believe Nagus was speaking of his unreasonable impression that implementing his idea of player crews would not be difficult.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I believe Nagus was speaking of his unreasonable impression that implementing his idea of player crews would not be difficult.
He seems to imply that dstahl is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make the game better. Guess that engineering report I just read doesn't really exist, eh?
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
So, I was thinking... what if we did the following:
  1. Just like in the OP, each "crew-member" has a view of the same ship piloted by the Captain.

2. The Captain is the only one who commands Bridge Officers, i.e. activates BO abilities.

3. Ships that are populated by players who are "crew-members" cannot join an instance with "normal" ships, so the game offers either the current form of play, or a team composed of one ship with a crew of players.

4. Each player crew-member is in charge of several mini-games that activate automatically when the Captain uses BO abilities.

5. Each time a mini-game activates for a player crew-member, the player can dismiss the mini-game or play through it.

6. Mini-games that are failed, cause the cooldown on the BO ability that belongs to the mini-game to lengthen, while mini-games that the player won cause the cool-down to decrease!

7. Mini-games that are dismissed by the player, do nothing to the cooldown, thus allowing the player "crew-member" to prioritize which BO ability they would like to shorten the cooldown for.

8. Because multiplayer ships should have better performance than singleplayer ships, missions difficulty should be Elite, and whenever crew death occurs, there should be a random chance that player crew members will suffer injuries while on duty.
That's what I've got for now, any comments?
Well, you've segregated your player base (bad) since you're not allowing grouped and non-grouped ship crews together.

Also you fail to account for the case where a pair of players start a mission on the same ship but halfway through one of the logs out. Can the remaining player stay in the group-crew instance or does he/she get booted?

What hapens when a player who logged out while on another player's ship logs back in? do they log in again as an idividual or do they re-join the other ship. If the later does that boot the ship from a single player instance if they're joined mid mission by a crewmate?

You haven't given any detail about what the mini games would be. Would it be the same mini-game for every power or would every power have a unique mini-game, or some combination thereof? This is important because in order for your scheme to work they need to be fun (they are the only interaction players other than the captain have) they can't be tedious (you'll be activating multiple BO powers durng anay engagment) and they have to fit into the minimum cooldown for a power (In some cases as low as 30 seconds). All else being equal the design of the minigames will make or break your perposal.

You've also set up a system whereby the supporting crew can be punished for sucess (crew death hapens in all battles win or loose so having a chance to be injured based on that is basicly the same as having a random chance to be injured on entering the battle).