Lt. Commander
# 1 End Game Gear
06-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Greetings and the such not. I have a loaded question about end game gear. I just hit RA5 with my tactical officer and want to start full on PVPing until the level cap is raised. That said I would like to get loaded up on Purple gear if possible so I can be competitive. Am I correct in assuming the only way to get these aforementioned items are to either -

a) get super lucky on a drop
b) get the item as a mission reward
c) get marks of valor and purchase them there
d) exchange

Also, is there a good way other than the epic missions to get these Marks of Valor? Also, if these are dumb questions and there is a place to find these answers online let me know (or just flame me... eitherway works

Soul
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
End game? That's not even in STO yet. We have 3 more full ranks to be put in the game till that archaic concept can be entertained.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulface
a) get super lucky on a drop
b) get the item as a mission reward
c) get marks of valor and purchase them there
d) exchange

a) veeeeeery unlikely... if not impossible

b) nope

c) yepp Marks of Valor for doing "dailies" in PVP or Marks of Exploration for the "B'Tran" Cluster... best do both to get it faster because you can do both only once a day so it will take a week or two and then your DONE.

d) no the stuff is bind on pickup so nobody can put it on the exchange... meaning everything on the exchange is lower level crap compared to what you can get for doing daylies for a few days.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, currently its end game - i.e the best gear we can get now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I was walking the right path.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Purple gear is not really required to be 'competitive'...the extra damage from its special procs is marginal.

Remember that as you do exploration for marks you also get badges, which will give you green consoles. And PvP gives you medals, which give you pretty good blue stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
End game? That's not even in STO yet. We have 3 more full ranks to be put in the game till that archaic concept can be entertained.
lol... well that and you can buy purple gear in exchange for marks from the daily PvP and exploration missions. On the Klingon side these come from Antonone for Azlesa Cluster Exploration and J'Vek for PvP, the mission varies from Cap and Hold to the Borg War Zone maps, both ground and space (Ker'rat and Otha for example) and the arena maps Solar Wind, Briar Patch and Cracked Planetoid, not sure about the names of the NPCs on the Fed side, I don't play my Fed much.

You get 5 marks for completing each daily, and you can get two dailies (one PvE, one PvP) per day. The two aren't interchangeable, so you can't use exploration marks to buy gear in K7, or PvP marks at the Sol Starbase. Side note, the gear is the same, so gear from exploring and gear from PvPing will have the same stats.

Now, that said... you really don't need the purple gear to PvP. All they do is increase the chance and severity of a crit. I've been PvPing at the BG5 level for a while now and I only just outfitted my first ship with all purple gear. It's more important to play smart and use tactics than it is to have all purple gear.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
a) veeeeeery unlikely... if not impossible
While it is rare...it is not impossible. I am not sure what parameters you have in mind, or consider a "drop," but several of the STFs "drop" purples....some drop more than 1...granted only one player gets it and is one of the reasons so many hate STFs. {Most feel everyone should be rewarded}. Now if by "drop" you mean kill some stray NPC on an explore or story mission...then aye this is very unlikely. I do not recall ever killing anything and it dropping a purple {outside the STFs}.

Quote:
b) nope
I got a nice Mk X 'Purple" shield array {with 3 20% protections} for simply "Aiding the Planet" the other day...and it was on Normal difficulty. Also there is at least one other counter example I can think of from a mission reward out of DS9...though it is Mk VIII. So "nope" is too absolute...there are counter examples.

Quote:
c) yepp Marks of Valor for doing "dailies" in PVP or Marks of Exploration for the "B'Tran" Cluster... best do both to get it faster because you can do both only once a day so it will take a week or two and then your DONE.

Aye there are 3 daily types currently...and to be honest the fastest way is to simply do B'Tran and PvP...STFs can take too long and require all members to have the time etc...since only one person can sabotage everyone else. Except maybe on Infected which can be done with only 3 players...the others cannot handle the loss of a player as well. Moreover, the Valor items cost too much and are Borg centric...great if all you do is fight Borg.

Quote:
d) no the stuff is bind on pickup so nobody can put it on the exchange... meaning everything on the exchange is lower level crap compared to what you can get for doing daylies for a few days.
No there are item that are Mk X and "purple" {like the Ship Shields I got as a reward from "Aid the Planet"} that are not bind on pick-up. not Trying to split hairs, but there are exceptions. True enough though, and with the exception of STF Kits, most STF and all exploration/honor/valor mark gear is bind on pick-up...as it should be.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I had a ship drop a purple on an explore mission, it was on elite however.

And it was a rank IX so, meh.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
there are some significant differences in the gear available from Explore & PVP. Shields with bonuses x3 such as covariant capx3 are only available as pvp rewards. Also quantum torpedos with a cntrl d cntrl hx2 are only available in pvp.

Likewise marks for STF's can be used for deflectors with HS prefix for hazard emitters & also the Purple Bat'Leth that are not available in other vendors.

I've also gotten several very rare drops in explores & DSE +2's so it does happen.

Napoleon BlownApart