Lt. Commander
# 41
06-18-2010, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
You're wrong Sol, CBS owns the design. In fact, I think you can still find the contest rules online.
Yes, they own the design, I never argued that. I'm just saying it was a fan-created design that CBS adopted due to the contest.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrasil
Well that too.

It seems people want the developers to keep putting more code in without going back to fix the code already there.
Yes, that's what I want. Bugfixes are nice and needed, sure. But a bugfix doesn't give me new stuff to do.

I've done that DS9 mission with the Mirror Universe twice now. I know it's bugged and sometimes BOs don't come with you on the DS9 ground part. But I don't really care now anymore, I've done this mission twice, bugged or unbugged, it won't be an interesting experience anymore.

Ker'rat is in many ways a mess, with all those spheres appearing inside the nodes, or the spawn points. Still people go there and do the mission. But it's kinda getting repetitive. A new warzone would be more interesting to me then those bugs fixed, even though I am very much in favor of getting them fixed (particularly because I think it will also improve other parts).
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Here's a "Making Of" blog post on Doug Drexler's blog:
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...tine%E2%80%9D/
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Given her length of 672 meters long, shes almost as long as the Sovereign so she would fit in nicely at Tier 5 or 6.
As what kind of ship? Science? I could see science. After reading the Destiny series and the Singular Destiny book ... I'm not entirely convinced the Aventine is a cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
Ah, ok, I wasn't aware of that. I'd seen it on deviantart and other places and figured it was just another fan-creation. Disregard my comments, then.

Technically we've all got quantum slipstream, that's the 'transwarp' ability in-game.
Ehhh! Wrong, sorry can't let this stand.
All right Quantum Slipstream, and Transwarp are 2 very Different techs.
At least that's what I gather from watching Voyager.
There was an episode of Voyager where The crew meets an alien who's ship uses Slipstream tech,
while it Would have let them get back home in months rather then years, it was still slower then Transwarp tech.
Taking the Transwarp Conduit home, got them there in Days, or at most One month, Not months, like the Slipstream drive. Don't ask me for specifics, of either the episode or the Tech, cause I can't remember, been awhile since I saw Voyager. What I do remember is that the meeting with the alien occurred After Voyagers encounter with The Undine, because he was the last of race that was unassimilated, and they had Seven.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwlancer666 View Post
Ehhh! Wrong, sorry can't let this stand.
All right Quantum Slipstream, and Transwarp are 2 very Different techs.
At least that's what I gather from watching Voyager.
There was an episode of Voyager where The crew meets an alien who's ship uses Slipstream tech,
while it Would have let them get back home in months rather then years, it was still slower then Transwarp tech.
Taking the Transwarp Conduit home, got them there in Days, or at most One month, Not months, like the Slipstream drive. Don't ask me for specifics, of either the episode or the Tech, cause I can't remember, been awhile since I saw Voyager. What I do remember is that the meeting with the alien occurred After Voyagers encounter with The Undine, because he was the last of race that was unassimilated, and they had Seven.
Yes, you're correct, but if you watch when we 'Transwarp' the deflector dish is used to generate a subspace anomaly much as Voyager did when it activated its early slipstream drive. Transwarp requires a transwarp conduit much like the Borg have which the Federation began constructing. The only transwarp conduit we've seen in-game so far is the one to Gamma Orionis.

So it's my opinion that what we have labeled as 'Transwarp' is actually a Quantum Slipstream drive.

Edit: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quantum_slipstream Memory Alpha apparently agrees.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Yes, you're correct, but if you watch when we 'Transwarp' the deflector dish is used to generate a subspace anomaly much as Voyager did when it activated its early slipstream drive. Transwarp requires a transwarp conduit much like the Borg have which the Federation began constructing. The only transwarp conduit we've seen in-game so far is the one to Gamma Orionis.

So it's my opinion that what we have labeled as 'Transwarp' is actually a Quantum Slipstream drive.

Edit: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quantum_slipstream Memory Alpha apparently agrees.
a) Don't forget the mission in Alpha-Centuri secter where we have to protect a Fedration Transwarp conduit.
b) I don't know maybe, but also read the STO timeline, there are supposedly more conduits that have been constructed then just those two.

"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there."
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Yes, they own the design, I never argued that. I'm just saying it was a fan-created design that CBS adopted due to the contest.
The same can be said with the Luna-class. It also is a design that was a fanmade design that is now adopted into cannon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
As what kind of ship? Science? I could see science. After reading the Destiny series and the Singular Destiny book ... I'm not entirely convinced the Aventine is a cruiser.
Yeah, she's a Science Ship. Probably the most advanced Federation Science ship (well at least between the Destiny Novels and 2409).

That's why she would've been perfect for Tier 5.
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Sure, I'll vote "yes" to the Vesta-class.
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
its actually classified as an multi-mission exploration cruiser if i'm not mistaken.