Lt. Commander
# 91
07-13-2010, 11:03 AM
They're not the best, but here's some photos taken of the Galaxy-class, there are also links at the bottom for the Romulan Warbird and Constitution-class Enterprise-A. Thought they might help as extra references: Christie's Enterprise-D
Lt. Commander
# 92
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
They're not the best, but here's some photos taken of the Galaxy-class, there are also links at the bottom for the Romulan Warbird and Constitution-class Enterprise-A. Thought they might help as extra references:

Christie's Enterprise-D
Wow! Those pictures are indeed very helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 93 Intrepid: Ablative Armor
07-13-2010, 11:44 AM
You are all correct, it is just a texture swap. I wanted to touch on this to keep you all informed.

I was not permitted to create a new model for the ablative armor ability, I had to use the ones already in game.... The ablative armor itself would have a new model to cover the secondary deflector dish, the aft torpedo bays, the bridge section etc. etc. etc.

It was decided that we would not sub in a new model, and also that we would not be able to alter the UV's to more accurately reflect the ablative armor.... reasons for this:

data conservation (more new models means more new data to be loaded)
customizable ship parts (not in yet, but soon you'll be able to have your customizable intrepid with ab. armor) and we don't have tech yet to identify what parts you've chosen, then generate a new 'ablative armor' model to swap out your ship with.
time (yep)

Basically this inconsistency boils down to the fact that it would take a LOT of time to create new ablative armor models to swap out the 30 some customizable ship parts for intrepid class, simply for an ability that you get to turn on for 30 seconds at a time.

In the meantime though, I hope that you find this ability satisfactory.
Lt. Commander
# 94 Soveriegn - Update
07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I'll be on the Sovereign for the next 3 or 4 days so feel free to post your issues here on this thread or PM me.
Lt. Commander
# 95 Sov: Nacelle phaser strips?
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey I saw someone post that the Sov is missing some phaser strips on the Nacelles... I can't find them in any reference though... check it out.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...gn-nacelle.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 96
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnLogan
You are all correct, it is just a texture swap. I wanted to touch on this to keep you all informed.

I was not permitted to create a new model for the ablative armor ability, I had to use the ones already in game.... The ablative armor itself would have a new model to cover the secondary deflector dish, the aft torpedo bays, the bridge section etc. etc. etc.

It was decided that we would not sub in a new model, and also that we would not be able to alter the UV's to more accurately reflect the ablative armor.... reasons for this:

data conservation (more new models means more new data to be loaded)
customizable ship parts (not in yet, but soon you'll be able to have your customizable intrepid with ab. armor) and we don't have tech yet to identify what parts you've chosen, then generate a new 'ablative armor' model to swap out your ship with.
time (yep)

Basically this inconsistency boils down to the fact that it would take a LOT of time to create new ablative armor models to swap out the 30 some customizable ship parts for intrepid class, simply for an ability that you get to turn on for 30 seconds at a time.

In the meantime though, I hope that you find this ability satisfactory.
To be frank Capn i think that is a pretty poor response. If your going to do something do it properly, It looks awful! Added to that we cant use custom LRSV arrangements yet? When will that happen? Im just gobsmacked that youve created models for the saucer seperation on the exploration cruisers, but creating a smoother featureless armour model is a step to far?
Lt. Commander
# 97
07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
not on the nacelles, the pylons

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com...revamped;99809

One of the best Soveriegn Models for Bridge Commander, does show some things missing from the STO model.

for example the lack of escape pod hatches that run along side the bridge area and then that run underneath along side the neck leading up to the deflector

and though the armor model for the intrepid is...questionable the animation i thought was fantastic!
Lt. Commander
# 98
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnLogan
Hey I saw someone post that the Sov is missing some phaser strips on the Nacelles... I can't find them in any reference though... check it out.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...gn-nacelle.jpg
Your picture link is 403.

Anyway, here's a quote from Memory-Alpha's Sovereign page:

Quote:
Four ventral phaser arrays were located on the primary hull, extending around in nearly a half circle on both the starboard and port ventral sides of the saucer section. A single phaser array was located along the ventral section of the engineering hull, running perpendicular to the hull. (Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection) During the refit, four were added to the trailing edges of the warp nacelle pylons (one dorsal and one ventral for each pylon). (Star Trek Nemesis)
I regret I do not possess screen grabs of the pylon phasers firing.

EDIT: Here are a few points from an earlier post of mine on the subject:

There are a few changes I'd love to see on the Sovereign:

1. Put that proper edge to the saucer and do something else with the light nodes... that alone will fix half the Sovereign's "issues", in my opinion.

2. Change the pylons to the straight ones used in Nemesis.

3. Add the phaser strips to the top and bottom of the aft edges of the pylons (mentioned in the MA articles on the Sovereign) - it looks weird in-game to see my three aft phaser arrays firing from that one weapon point above the engineering hull shuttlebay.

4. Change the patterns so the registry info on both the top and bottom of the saucer is never covered by color changes.

5. Give the impulse engines a proper look - the "jellybeans in picture frames" look they have now just looks disappointing.

6. Put the ship's name on the far aft edge of the engineering hull, just below the shuttlebay. Might be too small to see, but I liked seeing the Enterprise's name there in that location in the movies.

I'm not sure how many more windows they can add - they'd have to add more shaders for all window types, and I'm sure they have polygon/shader budgets to consider. I don't think the yellow deflector dish is going to happen, though.
Lt. Commander
# 99
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
To be frank Capn i think that is a pretty poor response. If your going to do something do it properly, It looks awful! Added to that we cant use custom LRSV arrangements yet? When will that happen? Im just gobsmacked that youve created models for the saucer seperation on the exploration cruisers, but creating a smoother featureless armour model is a step to far?
Yeah man, sorry. I wish I could give you a better response but then I'd just be lying.

I agree that it would be really cool to have new models and textures for ablative armor and all, but I honestly don't think it's worth allotting 3 weeks of modeling and texture work for an ability that many players will never even use that is only on screen for about 30 seconds at a time. The man hours it would cost, not only from artists, but programmers and FX creators would cost Cryptic thousands and thousands of dollars to get this graphic looking more like the show.

Not to degrade the Interpid or Ablative Armor ability, I'm a HUGE voyager fan, but there's only 2 of us on ships and we've got a LOT of stuff to get done.

I love all of you fans and I hope that this inconsistency can slip for a little while.

In the meantime I'll keep slipping in fixes wherever I can - starting today with the Sov.
Lt. Commander
# 100
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solokeldon View Post
not on the nacelles, the pylons

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com...revamped;99809

One of the best Soveriegn Models for Bridge Commander, does show some things missing from the STO model.

for example the lack of escape pod hatches that run along side the bridge area and then that run underneath along side the neck leading up to the deflector

and though the armor model for the intrepid is...questionable the animation i thought was fantastic!
Hmmm, I can't find them on pylons either in any reference imagery. I'll keep lookin around though.
Closed Thread