Lt. Commander
# 111
07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnLogan
touché. Let me tell ya LOL I spent the last two straight weeks working almost exclusively on saucer sep with 2 programmers and 1 FX artist. Along with a few other randoms thrown in here and there. It just ended up costing a whole lot of time to get the tech working, get the new art created and all put together, which in turn also means a lot of money was spent. It'll be really hard for me to pull enough teeth to get them to let us do Ablative Armor the way it should be done.

However!! Keep in mind that the only reason we are getting properly modeled galaxy, and saucer sep is because of FAN DEMAND!! I'd LOVE to go back and make some kick ass ablative armor models!!! I spent hours staring at Drex Files pics of it, and did my very best to make my new texture look as close as I could to the Drex version within the parameters that were set before me.

I'll be sure to make this an issue at the next meeting and I'll see what kind of hope there is for a more appropriate effect in the future.

So it's not so much polygon budgets, or data budgets, but I'd say that it's mostly because our team is shrinking, and we still have to continue to put out a lot of other content for the future, that it will be really hard for me to get the political pull to get a couple programmers, an FX guy, and myself a couple weeks to make new models for this cause.

But if enough people complain about it *wink wink*

HOLD ON, HOLD ON!? Are you trying to enrage us? Yous spent 2 WEEKS working on saucer separation?
But doing the same for ablative is a step to far? Are you kidding me?? You are seriously having a laugh mate! Go to Dstahls desk now and show him this forum. Think he could do with seeing it!
Lt. Commander
# 112
07-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Hmmm, I can't find them on pylons either in any reference imagery. I'll keep lookin around though.
I think the phaser on the Sov's pylons are a myth. And I certainly don't recall them on the nacelles either. What people might be seeing are vents on the backside of the pylons that in the right light...

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com...ise_e_back.jpg

I have the AMT/ERTL model of the Ent-E, and although not definitive, I certainly don't recall painting any phaser banks on the nacelles or pylons. (disclaimer, I'm at work and can't just go grab it and look).

Capn, I'd be happy if you just fix the impulse engines. Their housing is super thick.
Lt. Commander
# 113
07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
HOLD ON, HOLD ON!? Are you trying to enrage us? Yous spent 2 WEEKS working on saucer separation?
But doing the same for ablative is a step to far? Are you kidding me?? You are seriously having a laugh mate! Go to Dstahls desk now and show him this forum. Think he could do with seeing it!
Well it wasn't really 2 weeks. it was more like, a Wednesday through a next Thursday... so like 7 working days, but yeah that included retrofitting the original Galaxy model, and retrofitting a tier 5 celestial variant to work perfectly and seemlessly with the Galaxy version... While I was doing this, programmer were making new tech to split the costume in two, and FX and animation were working on their parts of it all. Design was creating the power etc. So there was a huge amount of individual man hours spent on this ability, but there was also an absolutely ENORMOUS, and I wish I had bigger text to write enormous, number of people demanding saucer sep.

Mike_86 no man I'm not trying to enrage you, I'm doing my best to please everyone on here but it's pretty hard.
Lt. Commander
# 114
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
First off - that Warship is BAD ASS!

Secondly - yes. I'm not terribly happy with how it looks right now. I do have a couple of weeks ahead of me dedicated to polish and I've got plans to go back and at the very least hit this texture again. I had 4 hours to get this thing done before pencils down a few weeks ago, but was promised time to go back and spruce it up (AKA re-do it)

So at the very least, you'll see some improvements on how it currently looks, but I doubt we'll all get the REAL fix that we all want any time soon.

*flame on!*
Since there are only two of you working on ships, what (if anything) is being done about the klingons. I have heard post after post about the fed ships. However, every post I have read for klingons had stated that maybe in the future klingons would have orion ships and such. I did hope that there would be more than just a carrier for klingons for the launch of season two...but apparently that's not going to happen.

With that in mind...is it just possible for us to keep our old T5 ships for the klingon side since we are only getting a carrier??? Will we get any upgraded skills for our T5 ships shou;d we choose to keep them once we hit LT Gen?? These are things people want to know, and are not being answered.

Your response is eagerly awaited and appreciated.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 115
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
First off - that Warship is BAD ASS!

Secondly - yes. I'm not terribly happy with how it looks right now. I do have a couple of weeks ahead of me dedicated to polish and I've got plans to go back and at the very least hit this texture again. I had 4 hours to get this thing done before pencils down a few weeks ago, but was promised time to go back and spruce it up (AKA re-do it)

So at the very least, you'll see some improvements on how it currently looks, but I doubt we'll all get the REAL fix that we all want any time soon.

*flame on!*
Again not angry, but questioning the powers that be. if you knew, and they knew you weren't happy with it... then why publish it. if arnt' happy with it you know the fans wont be happy with it... so why do the powers that be allow a release of that?

im not angry of any time spent on anything here. or angry at all... im just wondering why, whomever it is permits release of content your not happy with. thats all.
Lt. Commander
# 116
07-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
touché. Let me tell ya LOL I spent the last two straight weeks working almost exclusively on saucer sep with 2 programmers and 1 FX artist. Along with a few other randoms thrown in here and there. It just ended up costing a whole lot of time to get the tech working, get the new art created and all put together, which in turn also means a lot of money was spent. It'll be really hard for me to pull enough teeth to get them to let us do Ablative Armor the way it should be done.

However!! Keep in mind that the only reason we are getting properly modeled galaxy, and saucer sep is because of FAN DEMAND!! I'd LOVE to go back and make some kick ass ablative armor models!!! I spent hours staring at Drex Files pics of it, and did my very best to make my new texture look as close as I could to the Drex version within the parameters that were set before me.

I'll be sure to make this an issue at the next meeting and I'll see what kind of hope there is for a more appropriate effect in the future.

So it's not so much polygon budgets, or data budgets, but I'd say that it's mostly because our team is shrinking, and we still have to continue to put out a lot of other content for the future, that it will be really hard for me to get the political pull to get a couple programmers, an FX guy, and myself a couple weeks to make new models for this cause.

But if enough people complain about it *wink wink*
I am looking forward to the Intrepid/Discoverywith and without Ablative Armor as Tier 5 ship. I can live with the weaknesses in the models because I think new ships - particularly on the Klingon side but also "canon classics" are more important than this.

So... I would prefer pressure in the art direction to go to the benefit of new ship models.
Lt. Commander
# 117
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Just to make it Clear, You do a FANTASTIC job. no question. your abilities and work speak for yourself. and noone is angry at you (the messanger). just the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 118
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Well it wasn't really 2 weeks. it was more like, a Wednesday through a next Thursday... so like 7 working days, but yeah that included retrofitting the original Galaxy model, and retrofitting a tier 5 celestial variant to work perfectly and seemlessly with the Galaxy version... While I was doing this, programmer were making new tech to split the costume in two, and FX and animation were working on their parts of it all. Design was creating the power etc. So there was a huge amount of individual man hours spent on this ability, but there was also an absolutely ENORMOUS, and I wish I had bigger text to write enormous, number of people demanding saucer sep.

Mike_86 no man I'm not trying to enrage you, I'm doing my best to please everyone on here but it's pretty hard.
But the ablative armour is just as iconic and a just as interesting power? Going onto the same tier of retro fits? Where is poor quality would be painfully obvious? I just dont understand why saucer sep got a full working week, including model changes and making a whole replacement for a variant. While ablative got 4 hours to knock out a crumby texture on ONE of the variants. Im not having a go at you. Im just having a moan. I just dont think its fair, that saucer sep got the better deal.
Lt. Commander
# 119
07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
Since there are only two of you working on ships, what (if anything) is being done about the klingons. I have heard post after post about the fed ships. However, every post I have read for klingons had stated that maybe in the future klingons would have orion ships and such. I did hope that there would be more than just a carrier for klingons for the launch of season two...but apparently that's not going to happen.

With that in mind...is it just possible for us to keep our old T5 ships for the klingon side since we are only getting a carrier??? Will we get any upgraded skills for our T5 ships shou;d we choose to keep them once we hit LT Gen?? These are things people want to know, and are not being answered.

Your response is eagerly awaited and appreciated.

Thanks.
Good point. I haven't really touched Klingon ships in a while, but I know that in the near future I should be retouching some of the already existing Klingon ships. And yes there is plans to give some new playable race ships to Klingons as well.

I think it is reasonable to expect some T5 refits for the Klingons. I'll talk to my bosses and see if I can let you all know what to expect.
Lt. Commander
# 120
07-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
But the ablative armour is just as iconic and a just as interesting power? Going onto the same tier of retro fits? Where is poor quality would be painfully obvious? I just dont understand why saucer sep got a full working week, including model changes and making a whole replacement for a variant. While ablative got 4 hours to knock out a crumby texture on ONE of the variants. Im not having a go at you. Im just having a moan. I just dont think its fair, that saucer sep got the better deal.
I read ya Mike. Honestly I think that if production knew that it would take as long as it did to do saucer sep, they wouldn't have done it lol.

Worry not though, I'll honestly do my best to get ablative armor hooked up. You can look back over the last couple months of posts and you'll see that I posted like back in April that I was gonna start politicking for Saucer Sep and we got it. I'll begin the same campaign for ablative.
Closed Thread