Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1431
09-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Maybe they have other... more important... things to do than thinning out the beam?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1432
09-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Looks are one of the most important parts of the game, its up thereand it can't be hard can it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1433
09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Looks are one of the most important parts of the game, its up thereand it can't be hard can it?
AND it's not as if it would be a difficult change to make. All of the effects: The glow spots on the engines, the trails they leave behind, the beams, many of the gas clouds (ex: anomalies) are all flat sprites. 2D textures that either always orient to face the camera or are intersected with perpendicularly oriented sprites to create a semi-3D visual (Engine trails).

To thin out the beams, all it would take would be to... well... thin out the texture. The beams seem to essentially be nothing but broad, (animated) transparent texture sprites with the beam effect painted down the centre. (or twin beams in the case of the NCC-1701 phasers). That can't be more than a 10 minute job for a skilled artist. The only reason I can see for them not to be changed is because no one plays the squeaky wheel about it, CapnLogan doesn't have the authority to unilaterally change the beams and the people who do have the authority just couldn't be @r$3d to do it or actually like the fat beams.

In fact, if they broadened the canvas, they could probably add lightning bolt style weapon effects. Not the constant stream like anti-proton beams, but huge arcing bolts of electricity that could go from ship to ship *WHAMMO!* Every time it fires. Instead of a sustained beam, you just see repeated lightning strikes from one ship to another.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1434
09-04-2011, 02:03 PM
for a month or tow of free game play, I'd be willing to throw the beam textures thru Photoshop & thin them out.

peter
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1435
09-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
for a month or tow of free game play, I'd be willing to throw the beam textures thru Photoshop & thin them out.

peter
There was one player who used to make texture mods for things like (LCARS) consoles, (No) engine trails and (no) nebulae, but s/he got frustrated with rules changes and took down the site where s/he was hosting them. The mods weren't exactly approved, but they weren't modifying gameplay and the devs were taking a very cautious but permissive stance on their use.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1436
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
A few issues I have noticed with my Sci Characters Discovery class.

Ship name and Registry are too close to the floodlight http://i.imgur.com/7Bbcu.jpg

Misaligned and missing Nav lights on saucer http://i.imgur.com/ZHlLe.jpg

Forward Torpedo launchers are aiming right at the underside of the Saucer, a few recommendations to correct this issue http://i.imgur.com/SS9PD.jpg

Issues with the spine of the Discovery, the Andromada (Default) Pattern is incomplete, Canon hard point is on the shuttle bay door and the lines of the Discovery Hull don't match the Discovery saucer as well as it could http://i.imgur.com/H35ao.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1437
09-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP_Dodgers View Post
A few issues I have noticed with my Sci Characters Discovery class.

Ship name and Registry are too close to the floodlight http://i.imgur.com/7Bbcu.jpg

Misaligned and missing Nav lights on saucer http://i.imgur.com/ZHlLe.jpg

Forward Torpedo launchers are aiming right at the underside of the Saucer, a few recommendations to correct this issue http://i.imgur.com/SS9PD.jpg

Issues with the spine of the Discovery, the Andromada (Default) Pattern is incomplete, Canon hard point is on the shuttle bay door and the lines of the Discovery Hull don't match the Discovery saucer as well as it could http://i.imgur.com/H35ao.jpg
You should have seen the ship name and registry before. It was kind of crazy looking.

I was able to get the nav light issue in, but no room for the rest. If you can find any issues listed on the front page that have been fixed, do let me know so that I can remove them and add the other two discovery issues.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1438
09-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
You should have seen the ship name and registry before. It was kind of crazy looking.

I was able to get the nav light issue in, but no room for the rest. If you can find any issues listed on the front page that have been fixed, do let me know so that I can remove them and add the other two discovery issues.
Thanks,

I decided to take a look at the Intrepid model that CapnLogan updated recently, Teir 4 only right now but the Teir 5 version should be patched soon(tm) http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...postcount=2920

Error this has fixed are,

Missing dorsal depressions http://i.imgur.com/9t7LQ.jpg

Aft Ventral phaser strips misplaced http://i.imgur.com/e7SmJ.jpg

Missing fantail markings and Aft airlock doors http://i.imgur.com/vqTGO.jpg

I will keep my hawk eyes out of any others that mite have been fixed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1439
09-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP_Dodgers View Post
Thanks,

I decided to take a look at the Intrepid model that CapnLogan updated recently, Teir 4 only right now but the Teir 5 version should be patched soon(tm) http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...postcount=2920

Error this has fixed are,

Missing dorsal depressions http://i.imgur.com/9t7LQ.jpg

Aft Ventral phaser strips misplaced http://i.imgur.com/e7SmJ.jpg

Missing fantail markings and Aft airlock doors http://i.imgur.com/vqTGO.jpg

I will keep my hawk eyes out of any others that mite have been fixed.
Nice, I was wondering when those fixes were going live. I thought they were still in limbo. :p

=edit=

Added everything but the name/registry being too close to the flood light, as that is more of an individual taste issue than an actual error.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1440
09-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
It is very much worth mentioning, for those using head-on screenshots as a critical point of reference, that a screenshot from the bow is drastically different from an orthographic head-on.

Why?

Lens mechanics with cameras, both real and CGI.

The length of the lens plays a major part in perspective. A short lens (in abstract terms, a camera sitting directly in front of you) is going to make everything close to the camera too large, and everything in the distance smaller.

A long lens (Again, in abstract terms, a camera sitting a long way from you) will 'flatten' everything so depth of perspective is crushed. This is why in some head-on shots, the Sovereign has a very shallow engineering hull while in others it has an almost Excelsior-like 'plunge' that is quite deep.

An orthographic plan of the bow will typically be rendered with a long lens from great distance, as it removes all perspective distortions and leaves nothing more than 'true' lines of geometry, which are essential when constructing the profile of the vessel in 3D space.

With this in mind, remember that this shot:



...Is far more accurate than this one



...Even though that second shot looks more 'natural' that is what you would expect to see in the 'real world'.
Besides the nacelles being too low I have also noticed in-game and from your images the engineering section is too thin, lol.

And i doubt the bottom pick it whta you will see in real life because it looks nothing like the sovereign class in the moive or pictures made by John Eaves and as for real-life , I WISH.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.