Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
When PvP was revamped in 1.0, the queues typically were in the 30s to 60s. After 1.1, it dropped to the 20s to 30s. Now at best you see 13 people in the queues just for Space PvP.

And now, Space PVP is basically 2 types of people:

1) Those just doing it for the Marks of Honor and just don't put up a fight anymore, because they know they are going to lose.

2) PvP Fleets that control Arena Battles

So is PvP effectively dead now? Or do you think that Open PvP might revitalize it in some capacity?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-18-2010, 02:48 AM
T5 pvp is far from dead.

lower tier pvp is, however dead as a dodo....
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-18-2010, 02:50 AM
T1-4 is very dead.

T5 is still alive, but while in the past I enter it with a certain sense of intensity, now I'm kinda ho-hum. Oh I blew up, clicky respawn.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-18-2010, 03:08 AM
I agree to Cpt_Duck, T5 PvP is still very okay, but T1-4 are dead. The usual bulk of 90%+ players at the level cap and not that many new ones coming in.

The thing is, if you play for the Marks it does not matter if you win, lose or just go afk.
The usual take so that everyone wins (for some reason we are in a loss and risk adverse MMO society that favors the silly "everyone must win even if he plays horribly" mantra) is to award the winner 2 or 3 points, and the loser only 1.

So: Win a PvP match - 3 points, daily done. Lose: 1 point, do 2 more.
Or only 2 points for a win, 5 points for the daily, whatever - you get the idea.

Space Assault is also totally dead. Did not play one in ages. And I am sure many people never did. What to do to save this mode? Or just scrap it?

Cap and Hold takes a fairly long time. And even longer if people are just there to duke it out instead of capping in a non-arena environment where getting killed will not end the match.

I think we need one more Warzone, not only the Borg Zone, as people too often use Cap and Hold for "free pvp".

And maybe some more arena maps - random arena maps for the daily. I don't like the effect of "Solar Wind", and nobody seems to queue up for the "Space" arena, and "Cracked Planetoid" gets a bit old. I wish for at least some variety in the arena background wallpaper.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-18-2010, 03:14 AM
Space Assault.... I never figured out how t hat worked and then I stopped my brief experiment with PvPfor a while, and now that I am kinda back, no one seems to do it.

But RA5 PvP seems still pretty active. Sometimes there is a ridiclious number of players on the Fed side, though. And other times it's more balanced.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-18-2010, 04:11 AM
I like "Enemy" space assaults although as has been said there are rarely anyone queuing for it. Perhaps it is because it is so far done the list.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-18-2010, 05:27 AM
I still find low level pvp fun, but participation is really low and it is a crap-shoot for players.
I vote open pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Part of the reason is the ridiculous PvP Queue Bugs (and the interface). There also hasn't been a new map to entice PvP'ers since Shanty Town.

I created the following thread this morning to overhaul the PvP Queue User Interface to be more intuitive:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=163507

I created a full-fledge mock-up too. Hopefully this helps and provides growing space for new content.

Quote:
Benefits:
  • User-friendly interface design
    • Less Clutter
    • Shorter list
    • More intuitive

• Scales better for
    • new factions
    • new maps
    • new PvP modes
    • new map sizes

• Cycles maps (no wasted maps at bottom of list)

• Integrated PvP Channel chatbox

• Private Match System would not be affected - power users can be at peace for their PvP match creation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
The people you can SEE in the Q are WAITING on a match. The reason there used to be 60+ feds waiting on a match is because there were only 1-2 teams of klingons entering matches. Whenever a team enters a match, they are no longer in the Q. The Q lines have gotten shorter as a direct result of FvF. Feds no longer have to wait for the klingons to get done with a match and go into a new one. For every 1 match a fed used to get into, a Klingon got into 5-6 in the same amount of time. The sides have evened out a tiny bit, but feds are mostly shooting at other feds now instead of whining about cloak being OP, because they don't know how to play and don't realize what a liability a cloak actually is, and don't care to learn anything because they're entirely too busy ASSUMING things that don't make any sense, and then not checking their assumptions against reality.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
no