Lt. Commander
Both my hubby and I have lifetime on CO and STO. We're both much less likely to buy Lifetime, preorder, or anything else again because the exclusives we paid for (at least as far as Lifetime goes, preorders aren't really paying extra) are now on the CStore.

This is not an "I quit" thread. It's not a rage thread. It's not a "I hate Cryptic" thread. It's a "just going subscription and not buying into exclusive item hype next time" thread.

Yes, I know the playable Borg isn't up, but the CO Lifetime -> STO mirror universe exclusive is up.

Ultimately, we're not upset. We're just going to ignore any offers of exclusive items when making purchasing decisions around Cryptic or not. This is a pretty big blow considering we essentially paid a total of about $1200 collectively between the two of us.

He cares less than I do, I only care enough to now read "Exclusive" as "Paying $300 for Early Access For Something That costs $3 Just a Few Months Later"

That is to say that at least my husband and I don't suffer from the hyperbolic discounting fallacy that Cryptic's marketing team seems to be relying on at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
This whole situation just shows why buying a product FOR the exclusives rather than buying for the PRODUCT is never a good thing. I knew I was going to buy the game, so I just choose the package that came with the items I wanted. Now that they've released them, I havent lost anything because I was buying the game, not the items. I also bought a LT sub, and though they have not currently released the Borg character, even if they do I will not have lost anything because I will always have exactly what I paid for: the LT sub itself.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry to say but you need to read the fine print.

Quote:
Price and availability of any product or service are subject to change without notice.
It is located under item 12. Purchases of the Terms of Service
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
Both my hubby and I have lifetime on CO and STO. We're both much less likely to buy Lifetime, preorder, or anything else again because the exclusives we paid for (at least as far as Lifetime goes, preorders aren't really paying extra) are now on the CStore.

This is not an "I quit" thread. It's not a rage thread. It's not a "I hate Cryptic" thread. It's a "just going subscription and not buying into exclusive item hype next time" thread.

Yes, I know the playable Borg isn't up, but the CO Lifetime -> STO mirror universe exclusive is up.

Ultimately, we're not upset. We're just going to ignore any offers of exclusive items when making purchasing decisions around Cryptic or not. This is a pretty big blow considering we essentially paid a total of about $1200 collectively between the two of us.

He cares less than I do, I only care enough to now read "Exclusive" as "Paying $300 for Early Access For Something That costs $3 Just a Few Months Later"

That is to say that at least my husband and I don't suffer from the hyperbolic discounting fallacy that Cryptic's marketing team seems to be relying on at this point.
Didn't you pay less for the Lifetime Sub than the newer people did?
I did, and for me, that's enough.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This whole situation just shows why buying a product FOR the exclusives rather than buying for the PRODUCT is never a good thing. I knew I was going to buy the game, so I just choose the package that came with the items I wanted. Now that they've released them, I havent lost anything because I was buying the game, not the items. I also bought a LT sub, and though they have not currently released the Borg character, even if they do I will not have lost anything because I will always have exactly what I paid for: the LT sub itself.
That's more or less my attitude. It's just that when they put something on a sales pitch and call it "exclusive" when they're just going to sell it for literally 1% the price a few months later... It's more the principal of "can you rust them if their marketing team self redacts it's own propeganda?"
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
That's more or less my attitude. It's just that when they put something on a sales pitch and call it "exclusive" when they're just going to sell it for literally 1% the price a few months later... It's more the principal of "can you rust them if their marketing team self redacts it's own propeganda?"
You might not can trust them to keep the items exclusive, but you can certainly trust them to provide the game/sub you paid for. So when it comes to future Cryptic products I might be interested in, I obviously am not going to make any purchase decisions based on BONUS items, but I have no fear at all about buying the actual product itself.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
You did receive other considerations of value for your purchase price, right? You and your husband did receive lifetime access to two different online games that charge a monthly subscription to access???

I'm a bit confused, because it appears that you are indicating that the only thing of value you received from Cryptic for your investment were "exclusives".
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Didn't you pay less for the Lifetime Sub than the people who bought it later??
I'm pretty sure you saved $$$$$.
Use that to buy a MU uniform today.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Sorry to say but you need to read the fine print.

It is located under item 12. Purchases of the Terms of Service
This also isn't a lawyer thread. It's about confidence and trust. I fully expected the stuff to be eventually made availible. They did that with the preorder runs on City of Heroes, so even with experience I expected it. But I didn't expect it to occur this soon.

It's also a matter of trusting the advertising propaganda.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You might not can trust them to keep the items exclusive, but you can certainly trust them to provide the game/sub you paid for. So when it comes to future Cryptic products I might be interested in, I obviously am not going to make any purchase decisions based on BONUS items, but I have no fear at all about buying the actual product itself.
I'm on your side of the fence on this Nagus...thanks for helping me see the light.
That and these f'in doomsday threads are getting old, lol.
Closed Thread