Lt. Commander
# 21
03-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topekaguy1988 View Post
You can't be a hologram. You can be a character that pretends to be a hologram.
So what's the point then?

Why have all this customizing? You telling me there will now be literly thousands of different beings/races in Starfleet now? (that normally wouldn't be there). Sounds pointless.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I really like the idea of creating your own race, taking bits and pieces from other races to create your own and starting then from scratch!

Very imaginative and will add allot to the game rather than having just "cookie cutter" races.

Live Long and Prosper
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice, we going to see canonical alien races that we never seen before! And I like you using different colors for the questions Awen.

Hearing all these traits with the character creator has piqued my interest even further. I wonder if you all are going to do like Sony did with EQ2 and send out a DVD with the character creator so we can play around with it before before STO goes live?

I bet many of us would be creating for hours, even days. Even upon launch day, I bet there be some who liked their creations so much, they didn't know which ones to choose.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Can you make alien hybrids like Spock
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
My understanding of Star Trek Lore as far as Klingons are concerned is NO non-Klingon race can be an Officer let alone a Captain in the KDF. Non-Klingon races that are integrated into the Empire are considered " jeghpu'wI' " or Conquered People. They are a lesser class as far as the Empire is concerned.

Now with customization all that Trek Lore goes out the door. Someone else on this Thread referred to Trek races as "Cookie Cutter," I'll play my Klingon "Cookie Cutter" race the way it was meant to be.

Customization is a great concept as long as it has some limits.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I like the whole character customization thing. Really. But to be honest I'm still as not sure as ever about the create-your-own-race feature. Sure, it sounds like a neat thing to be able to make up whatever you want. I'd love to just play around with random alien pieces to create my own race... but it seems like players might be able to go crazy with a lot of stuff here. Doesn't it make being a "real" Vulcan in Starfleet worth less when you can just rig up a non-official Vulcan to play with the Klingons? Seems like something like this would catch on en masse, with MMO players the way that they are... tons of people joining up with the KDF and choosing Vulcan-like or Andorian-like characters and naming them as such.

I'd also be afraid of stuff like Wookies, Rhodians, Predator aliens, Asari, and other non-Trek aliens making appearances in game thanks to "creative" players who end up forming Wookie-only fleets and end up just looking plain ridiculous framed in the Trek universe. You know it's going to happen.

I really, really hate to make negative posts about info released about this game, since there's a lot of stuff about it I really love. A lot of stuff. But this is one of the only things that really irk me. In a lot of ways it just seems like Cryptic is using the race creator to push their company stance of bringing UBER CUSTOMIZABILITY to every game they put out.

Not to say that I won't play the game. I suppose I can just tune out the silly aliens. =) Just voicing my opinion I suppose.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow people in this forum really hate having options.

Everything I read in the post sounds awesome. Limitless creative options and desegregated factions both sound good to me.

And anyone can serve in the Klingon Empire if they can prove their worth. Data was offered a place in the Empire and even Quark was for a short time the head of a Klingon house.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvid View Post

THE PART I UNDERSTAND: So we won't officially be able to be an android, but we use the custom character creator to make ourselves look like what we think an android should look like, and give ourselves the traits and bonuses we think an android should have, and then while playing we tell people "Hey look! I'm an android" even though technically we are a "customized alien race".

Also the last question didn't address the part of the question about naming our custom races. If I create a custom alien character, do I get to give that new race a name along with the personal name of that individual character? In the case of the Cryptonians (with a C!), is that something that would be recorded in the character's bio or stats -- so that when a player is inspected it would say something like "Race: Cryptonians (with a C!)" or do we just enter a name for that one character and just have to tell people what the name of our race is supposed to be?

I guess I am a little confused on how the racial naming is going to work.

For example, if I make a 'Green Girl' and call her an Orion, but she still is really not an orion officially, what will appear under 'race'?

Same thing for creating an 'android' looking toon - pretending he is an android - but wont really be an andriod. What shows up under 'Race' for such creations?

I hope it doesn't scream 'game' and say 'Customized Alien race'.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I am really glad that we are at the point in the development cycle where the community can start learning more specific information, because this is exactly the kind of thing that gets me more excited than ever to play the game. Even though I will more than likely be playing a pre-determined race, I am still very fascinated by the custom race generator, and I think that creating custom races will be rather interesting!
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I like what they have done personally. I mean we still have the option of playing by the rules ourselves and going strictly ST, but we can be creative if we so desire. Fantastic. Everyone gets to play the game how they want.

I am a little worried though because I want to be a Ferengi female with the traditional garb... I don't have much confidence in the likelihood of my shortie being able to walk around in her just deserts.