Lt. Commander
# 31
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardog00 View Post
My understanding of Star Trek Lore as far as Klingons are concerned is NO non-Klingon race can be an Officer let alone a Captain in the KDF. Non-Klingon races that are integrated into the Empire are considered " jeghpu'wI' " or Conquered People. They are a lesser class as far as the Empire is concerned.

Now with customization all that Trek Lore goes out the door. Someone else on this Thread referred to Trek races as "Cookie Cutter," I'll play my Klingon "Cookie Cutter" race the way it was meant to be.

Customization is a great concept as long as it has some limits.
This is exactly why I am torn over the custom character creation -- players making "make-shift" or "fake" humans, Vulcans, Ferengi, etc. characters in the Klingon faction. Even the inclusion of the Orions and Gorn being captains of Klingon ships doesn't sit well with me.

I love all the customization and race mixing with the Federation, that is to be expected and even admired in the Federation. But it breaks canon on the Klingon side. It will take some very creative storytelling in the Path to 2409 for Klingon purists to accept non-Klingons commanding KDF ships -- and that still doesn't explain away the player-created humans and Vulcans captaining Klingon faction ships.

This is going to be situation where my logical realistic side (that understands the game has to make concessions in order to appeal to the widest possible percentage of players) has to take over and overrule the side of me that thinks only true Klingons should be allowed in the Klingon Defense Force.

The way I would like to see it done, is that only "official" default Klingons should be able to captain the established Klingon ships, and that the Gorn and Orion get their own ships that still operate to benefit the Klingon Empire but would not be considered to be part of the Klingon Defense Force.

Lt. Commander
# 32
03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
I guess I am a little confused on how the racial naming is going to work.

For example, if I make a 'Green Girl' and call her an Orion, but she still is really not an orion officially, what will appear under 'race'?

Same thing for creating an 'android' looking toon - pretending he is an android - but wont really be an andriod. What shows up under 'Race' for such creations?

I hope it doesn't scream 'game' and say 'Customized Alien race'.

Yeah that's what I was wondering, if we can name our race along with the name of the individual. When they mentioned their created race "Cryptonians", will they actually get to name their race that or only just tell people that's the race's name?

If we can name our race, perhaps we could type in "android" or "orion", that would be cool -- but then it could cause confusion or issues if a Federation character is made to look Klingon and then the player types "Klingon" under race. How would that be differentiated from the "real" Klingons of the Klingon faction, and vice versa with Klingon players who make a Vulcan-looking alien and name their custom alien race "Vulcan"?
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvid View Post

If we can name our race, perhaps we could type in "android" or "orion", that would be cool -- but then it could cause confusion or issues if a Federation character is made to look Klingon and then the player types "Klingon" under race. How would that be differentiated from the "real" Klingons of the Klingon faction, and vice versa with Klingon players who make a Vulcan-looking alien and name their custom alien race "Vulcan"?
That's one of my concerns.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvid View Post

Yeah that's what I was wondering, if we can name our race along with the name of the individual. When they mentioned their created race "Cryptonians", will they actually get to name their race that or only just tell people that's the race's name?

I am sure there will be 'factional' markers, so regardless of the race, you will be able to tell what faction that player belongs to.

What I am more concerned about:
  • Race being some trivial - lacking racial identity.
  • Multiple different looking 'Tholians'
  • All custom races being flagged as 'Custom Race'.

Personally, I wish they would define specific races, limit 'custom' races to unique non Star trek names (ie I cannot make a Pink Andorian looking toon, and call it a 'Breen' or 'Tholian', or make a Green skinned Klingon, and call it an 'Orion'

I want Breen, Tholians, Orions, etc to be clearly defined to protect the canon, and have 'copies or other custom races require a 'unique' name tag -- much like a player name.

I am unclear on the whole 'call yourself an android', but not really be an android in the game thing, and I from what I think it means, I do not like it, to be honest.

Lt. Commander
# 35
03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
/facepalm

when are they going to release real info that isnt info that someone with alittle bit of general mmo knowledge and a little common sense could reason to on their own? it has been known for a long time that you could create custom races, and the rest of info given by the interview could of logically be deduced from knowing that.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
It seems as though the character creation is leaning a lot more towards the RP of the RPG; Data LOOKED human on the outside, only his actions and skin color set him apart. I think what Cryptic is trying to get at is that you can take the base human, lighten his skin color, and call him an android, because you chose to play as an android. Though I can see you going partway through the game "Eh, I'll just consider myself human now," and stop playing up the android bit.

And because of the mention of rock people, along with Delta quadrant aliens, I now give my Hugh a 50/50 chance. Wish they woulda said if their going to have borg-like parts in the character creator database .
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Hearing all these traits with the character creator has piqued my interest even further. I wonder if you all are going to do like Sony did with EQ2 and send out a DVD with the character creator so we can play around with it before before STO goes live?

I bet many of us would be creating for hours, even days. Even upon launch day, I bet there be some who liked their creations so much, they didn't know which ones to choose.
This is a great idea, sort of reminds me of how Spore was released and folks could with with parts of the game until the rest is ready, especially if you could save character templates to use when the game is release, for those of us that sit hours playing with options.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Escaped a borg ship, eh? I see many a borg implant in my STO future...
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-13-2009, 12:03 AM
hmmm most of this info we already knew about tbh.

but anyways still a good read.

could i get the game a week before release i need at least a week to make my own race and think up a story lol
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Every single part of this announcement made me happy. That's quite an accomplishment. If I had to pick the parts I'm most excited about, it would be being able to pick racial abilities from a list (like increased strength, radiation resistance, etc) when making my own custom race to make it more realistic, as well as being to name said race.