Lt. Commander
# 41 Races
03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
It's cool that you can make your own but I think I would like it better if it was just the original Star Trek races; the ones that actually exist in the Star Trek universe now.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm guessing as far as race goes we could have a drop down name with all the races and also have an "Other" option wheren we get to write in a name. Perhaps they could keep track of racial names and we could check at starbases to see how many "Cryptonians" have been made on our server, etc How many are serving on which side and so on.

Quote:
I am really glad that we are at the point in the development cycle where the community can start learning more specific information, because this is exactly the kind of thing that gets me more excited than ever to play the game.
Actually I don't think they mentioned a single thing we either didn't already know specifically or didn't already know unofficially (based on logical assumptions regarding the direction of development in this area).

Really at this point I don't think they're ready to release any more real information and so the Ask Cryptics are now and for some time (til Vegas Star Trek Con or more likely GenCon probably) may be fluff and a consolidation of information you could readily find elsewhere. They've got roughly another 9+ months of work and testing and they're gonna stretch any new ship class reveals out for as long as they can up til then along with story and such. The Path to 2409 is proceeding at about 1 year per month...we still have 24 more years to learn about...
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Sounds great! Can't wait to try out the race creator!
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahakra View Post
If, for all intents and purposes and in all but name, you can make a Klingon (and share him with ya buds) then play him as a Fed, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having Factional separation in the first place?

- Dahakra
Nope. Just because you're a Klingon, it doesn't mean you can't side with the Federation-Worf did. And I'm sure humans and Vulcans can enter the Klingon defense force.
Lt. Commander
# 45 Begs more questions
03-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Wow interesting info. Though I must admit I'm slightly confused now on the point of species aligned to specific factions. I wasn't expecting to see Vulcans on a Klingon ship. The bit about non organic life will that mean that there can be Klingon androids and holograms or just Klingon characters who call themselves androids/holograms?
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Sounds good, except for not being able to make a Tholian. Of course, it's not like Tholians could be part of anyone's crew, not without a special suit to keep them hot enough.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-13-2009, 02:19 AM
I was very happy reading this Ask Cryptic. To those complaining about "not getting anything we couldn't have guessed", I would remind you that there is a difference between information we have inferred from Dev comments and specific answers. That brilliant question on androids (which must have been asked by someone very handsome) for instance, we already knew we could make someone called an android, but now we know that there are options to give them android characteristics.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-13-2009, 02:56 AM
will this game have voice interface? will you be able to use computer mics to issue command to ship and crew?
Lt. Commander
# 49 The game
03-13-2009, 03:32 AM
hey ive been trieng to find the game ..i just heard about it ....is it out ..yet?? how do i get it ??
Lt. Commander
# 50 I can't believe it!
03-13-2009, 03:41 AM
"If we create a customized race from scratch, will we be able to add any traits or abilities to that race? Possibly through the use of a skill points system or something? Or if we don't want an ability like empathy or increased strength (such as with Humans) will there be an option for increasing certain other abilities like diplomacy or tactics for example, to compensate for this?"

My question got answered!

I thought this Ask Cryptic was a good one as it gave us plenty of insights into what we can do with the character creator and some more information about how we can develop our own races.

People need to remember that this is a game and not a simulator, so having almost limitless options should be considered a good thing and being able to be one of tons of canonical races or created races on either faction should also be looked on as a good thing. During times of war i'm sure either side can use all the help it can get and there are always defectors moving from one side to the other.

It would also be a bit silly if you could only have aliens on your ship if you were Feds.