Lt. Commander
# 11
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM
no matter how many times devs tell us pve is unique each time u enter a zone, its a load of bollocks. Are u seriuosly telling me our pve content consists of kill 8 squads or tribbles against a differnet colour background and that counts as a new mission? Why yes, cryptic i belive you are
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Klingon side does tend to be tedious. Either it's Farming Exploration/Encroachment or it's Farming PVP Matches till your fingers turn blue. (Let's face it, no one does the Fleet Actions) Meanwhile the Federation has Story based content, in addition to the PVP, and Exploration missions. And then there's access to the biggest flop, Memory alpha. (A flop because there's no high level/high end items to get from memory alpha. It's either PVP, Explore, or STF Weapons/items)

I'm hoping that season 2 brings out some nice things for the klingons. I'd also like to see those Weekly missions not just being Fed, but Klingon as well.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-22-2010, 12:51 AM
There are only 8 missions scheduled for Klingons.
The rest of season 2 is Federation content.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl
Season 2.0
The following features are schedule to release with 2.0, but keep in mind that there is always a chance a feature may get postponed to a later update.

* Rank up to 51 (Vice Admiral/Lieutenant General)
* - New Captain Power
* - Rank 5 Ship Reward (Special T5 Ship)
* - Mark XI Gear

* Player Ship Interiors (FED and KLG)
* - Select between 3 layouts
* - Make Consumables Mini-Game
* - Trophy Case
* - New Ship Interior Designs
* - Sliding Doors

* Anomaly Scanning Mini-Game
* - chance for additional anomalies

* Dabo MiniGame
* - Holo Leeta Dabo Girl
* - Gold Pressed Latinum Item Store

* Klingon PVE
* - 8 New Klingon Episodes
* - New Enemy Group unique to the Klingon Faction

* Weekly Episodes - Series 1
* - Weekly Story Advancement Mission
* - Scales to all levels
* - Episodes available to FED and KLG
* - New Enemy Group Faction

* Level 46-51 Sector (FED and KLG)
* - 5 New Episodes
* - New Level 53 Fleet Action
* - New Daily Fleet Actions for Level 51
* - Run STFs at Level 51

* Federation Diplomatic Corps
* - Earn FDC-XP for non-combat gameplay
* - New First Contact Missions in Exploration Sectors
* - 4 New non-combat missions
* - New Rewards at each rank

* Klingon Costume Customization Updates
* Trade Commissioned Officers
* Fleet Logos
* Fleet Action Level Banding Changes
* Global Help Chat Channel
* New Exploration Enemy Ship Designs
* New Wildlife Creatures
* Gamepad/Controller Support
This is what Season 02 is supposed to have.

Bold: Storyline mission information
Red: Klingon Only Content
Blue: Federation Only Content
Gray: Content for all factions

I am not sure that Dabo is Federation only, though. Could be it will be available not just on DS9.
The big new thing on the Federation side seems to be the Diplomatic Corps. But that still boils down to only 4 missions where the Klingons got 8.

And about the exploration missions... There is more then Tribbles (and I am fully willing to totally count the tribble missions as negative for the mission count.)

1 Destroy derelict vessels (can be Federation or Klingon vessels, one type is a weapon test and the other is a "keep our tech out of enemy hands" mission)
2 Destroy domed asteroid base installations (Tribbles, Agriculture and so on)
3 Secure Sector Missions
4 Destroy objects (Tribbles, weapon caches, borg stuff) on asteroids
5 Destroy objects on planets
6 Destroy objects on derelict vessel
7 Defend colony

Federation has
1 Relief Effort
2 Scan derelict vessels
3 Secure Sector missions
4 Defend colony
5 Scan object on planet
6 Scan object on asteroid
7 Scan object in space

Exploration content on both sides is very simple and primitive and with little depth. But you can't tell me that one side is worse or has less in that area.

The difference that really still exist:
- More Storyline episodes for Federation. The new patch doesn't fix this, but it doesn't seem to make things worse, either. As long as Klingons can't level as far as the Federation can with storyline content, this won't change, though. I think it might never change that much.*

- Memory Alpha. Well, not sure that's a loss for now, but if it's getting better, Klingons need this. Diplomatic Corps "worses" this problem as there is another skill system unavailable to Klingons.

*)
My prediction is that Federation will remain the "gateway" to the game. it will offer the most complete PvE experience STO will offer, and this won't change. Fundamentally, it _cannot_ change since Startrek has always put its human officers and the Federation as its forefront. If you get into Startrek Online, most people will expect to start with something familiar. The faction imbalance is so ingrained in the IP that no matter how good the mechanics and storyline missions would become for all sides, it won't change.

People claim* that Klingons are overpowered with cloak and universal slots and all. I suspect in most games, this would not just lead to nerf cries, but it would lead people to play the side that's claimed to be OP. But that doesn't happen in Startrek Online. People complain, cry for nerfs, and happily stay Feds. The reaction is not to got the perceived winner side, but to ignore PvP and focus on PvE.

I might be proven wrong, though. All those RA5s that have done all the Federation storyline content... If they see 8 new storyline missions only available to Klingons, they will jump on that. It's certainly a major motivator for me. And maybe once they did those 8, they might stick around, having grown fond of Cloaking devices and Orions in Bikini uniforms...

*) I purposely say claim because I do not think Klingons are overpowered
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-23-2010, 04:51 AM
8 Episodes for Klingons? And how often shall I play it till it bores me as much as the other so called "Episodes" do? How many episodes the Feds got? 200+ I think or not? And we got 8!!! After waiting for new content since 4 month now all we do get is 8 episodes and some costume options. What about crafting and all the other stuff the Feds have like storyline and so on? No I am NOT happy and I am NOT looking forward to patch 2.0. cause this whole so called Star Trek Onine Universe has nothing to do with Star Trek anymore it' s just War Trek or "give them as much enemies as possible. Remember how many episodes are really about war in Star Trek. There are more than 700 Star Trek episodes and 11 movies and as I remember not more than 50 episodes are about fighting and war. If Gene Roddenberry could see what Cryptic made out of Star Trek he really would stop it immediatly I am very sure about it.. No this is not Star Trek online and even not Starfleet online. This is... just a Sci Fi MMO with Star Trek skins and when the year I payed is comming to an end I will not give just one more cent to Cryptic anymore. Really I am a Star Trek Fan since 1972 and Star Trek Online is the lousiest interpretation of Star Trek I've ever seen. Personally I do no not accept it as a real part of Star Trek and I know hundretthousands of fans think the same.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-23-2010, 07:59 AM
I call the game already Federation Online, nothing more.
Just picked up an old Pen & Paper Star Trek RPG where I will try to set up my own gaming group.
Should be easy to make it something like Federation Online , but with better Story and missions.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
8 Episodes for Klingons? And how often shall I play it till it bores me as much as the other so called "Episodes" do? How many episodes the Feds got? 200+ I think or not? And we got 8!!! After waiting for new content since 4 month now all we do get is 8 episodes and some costume options. What about crafting and all the other stuff the Feds have like storyline and so on? No I am NOT happy and I am NOT looking forward to patch 2.0. cause this whole so called Star Trek Onine Universe has nothing to do with Star Trek anymore it' s just War Trek or "give them as much enemies as possible. Remember how many episodes are really about war in Star Trek. There are more than 700 Star Trek episodes and 11 movies and as I remember not more than 50 episodes are about fighting and war. If Gene Roddenberry could see what Cryptic made out of Star Trek he really would stop it immediatly I am very sure about it.. No this is not Star Trek online and even not Starfleet online. This is... just a Sci Fi MMO with Star Trek skins and when the year I payed is comming to an end I will not give just one more cent to Cryptic anymore. Really I am a Star Trek Fan since 1972 and Star Trek Online is the lousiest interpretation of Star Trek I've ever seen. Personally I do no not accept it as a real part of Star Trek and I know hundretthousands of fans think the same.
200 missions would be nice, but far from the truth.

You cannot level by merely doing story missions as a Fed. The number seems to be about 1 to 2 per grade. So a total between 45 to 90.

And don't forget that there will also be 5 faction-agnostic missions. Sure, Feds can play them to, but far more importantly, you can play them on your Klingon. And they announced weekly episodes. No idea how many those will be (obviously it depends on long it runs...)
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Some of the blame goes to people who complained about how FAST leveling was. You used to get twice as much XP for PvP matches, which made it actually faster to level a Klingon than a Fed.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
If Gene Roddenberry could see what Cryptic made out of Star Trek he really would stop it immediatly
Not as long as CBS owns the rights to the Star Trek franchise and has the final say in its development.

Honestly Cryptic should have come at STO as a mutli-faction game purely from the begining, with each faction being added as a whole stand alone game addition.

On the aspect of STO's war setting - I like it as a launcing point for the game and as a large background setting.

Out of all the other Star Trek games made in the past, how many were NOT combat based?
How many of the former ST games were purely exploration, diplomancy and science based, without an combative antaginist?
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Not as long as CBS owns the rights to the Star Trek franchise and has the final say in its development.

Honestly Cryptic should have come at STO as a mutli-faction game purely from the begining, with each faction being added as a whole stand alone game addition.

On the aspect of STO's war setting - I like it as a launcing point for the game and as a large background setting.

Out of all the other Star Trek games made in the past, how many were NOT combat based?
How many of the former ST games were purely exploration, diplomancy and science based, without an combative antaginist?

I agree with you on this. While I want the Lore respected, most of the decisions should be based on positive game design standards. If they had truly thought this through, creating the STO game as a "multiple release" model with Federation first, then Klingon, etc... they would have probably done quite well. Unfortunately I think they put too much stock on the idea that throwing the Klingons in as a PvP opposition would save them alot of work. Unfortunately somehow they didn't anticipate that players would actually want to play the Klingons, not just be the convenient player ran opposition for the "real game" of the Federation side.

Hopefully they figure it out and learn from the error and make the appropriate corrections. We'll see.