Lt. Commander
# 11
06-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Frankly i think that being able to send out a distress call should be for all factions.
But i think the DSE's need to be remade so that instead of grinding areas they be specific encounters where once completed you leave.
And people would only be able to enter to assist if a distress call was sent.

This and add some grinding areas, planets with mobs that respawn like in your typical MMO.
Cryptic really should look at Pirates of the Burning Sea for inspiration.
Its a perfect example of instance based ship/person gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 12 yes
06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
neutral faction would be Greeeeeeat!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Interesting idea, but perhaps it should be restricted somehow so that STO doesn't overnight turn into a universe filled with Han Solo's
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Frankly i think that being able to send out a distress call should be for all factions.
Indeed, I completely agree and thought about that right after I posted in this thread. So I then suggested the idea for all faction Starships to have the ability to send out a distress signal in the latest Engineering Report.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Interesting idea, but perhaps it should be restricted somehow so that STO doesn't overnight turn into a universe filled with Han Solo's
Absolutely...talk about immersion breaking. It should be an unlock bonus that is very hard to reach.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf359
Absolutely...talk about immersion breaking. It should be an unlock bonus that is very hard to reach.
Now that Sir, is one awesomely excellent idea and I fully support it!

Just the same way that players unlock the Klingon Faction at level 6, the neutral faction, whatever it may be called should and could be unlocked far later in the game under the same conditions but at a much, much higher level.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Just the same way that players unlock the Klingon Faction at level 6, the neutral faction, whatever it may be called should and could be unlocked far later in the game under the same conditions but at a much, much higher level.
I think you should have to max level two or three characters, one from each other faction. That way you can get a "Neutral" accolade and the unlock for the Neutral faction...makes sense, right?
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Rather than put in restrictions, a good design should first give players incentive to do what the designer wants. Obviously this isn't always possible, but in this case it should.

If Cryptic doesn't want everyone to go neutral, then make a reason for it other than saying, "You can't have your pudding till you eat your meat!" If I want to play Neutral or Klingon first and THEN explore the Federation side, there shouldn't be a reason stopping me. For example other successful MMO's don't restrict an entire faction based on the player getting so far in the opposing faction first. The only reason we do so here with Klingons is because the Klingon side has no true path and were slapped in haphazardly. Cryptic knows that anyone who jumped in and just went straight Klingon would consider that the view of the entire game and just leave. They wanted players to experience the more fleshed out Federation side first and then go explore the other side.

Now, not to turn this into a "Klingons got the short stick" argument, I just wanted to see if anyone had ideas on how to give incentive rather than restriction for each of the factions to appear equally enticing. For example, the Fed side is easy since it's already fleshed out with a full storyline and path. Do the same for the Klingon side would go far to make them interesting to experience. For the Neutral side, I would say they should have their own storyline which straddles both sides, but also some limitations such as less "military resource support".

For example, both the Federation and Klingon are military organizations. Theoretically the difference between a military and commercial force is largely in their resources.

A commercial force might have as good (or in many cases even better) toys than the military, but the limiting factor is money. A soldier in the military is given his ship where a commercial one would have to pay for his. Maybe incorporate a system where the military don't pay for ship repairs (though they have to play a mini-game to self-repair or go back to Home Base) while the neutral player has to pay for his repairs.

Another resource is trust. While one Federation officer would have the trust and backing of his brothers & sisters in uniform simply based on his service, a neutral merchant wouldn't. Perhaps the neutral player would have to "unlock" different sectors based on his actions with that military. Obviously this should have an opposite reaction to the opposing military. So a merchant could try to stay completely neutral and not lean one way or the other (Klingon or Federation), but they would also have the least amount of trust (ie., least chance of gaining NPC help from distress calls) and least amount of space available to them since they can't unlock alot or risk alienating the other side. At the same time however, they would have the least chance of having a wandering ship attack/arrest/harrass them since they are seen as basically harmless.

Also to implement this would require Cryptic to lock down their mail system better. Right now players can mail items back and forth across "enemy lines" with no limitation. Obviously if a merchant player has access to better toys, nothing limits them from getting the toys on one side and flooding them over to the other side which was designed not to have them originally. Also, by setting greater limitations, the merchant class would serve as the "middle man" for both sides in this war.

I'm sure there are many design choices that could work to keep the player base balanced rather than just saying, "No, we have this great thing but you can't play it till you do your chores!"
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-23-2010, 10:40 AM
My brother would most likely play STO if he could be non-faction. He wants to play like a pirate.

But then I would spend my time hunting him down, being the good federation officer I am.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A88mph View Post
My brother would most likely play STO if he could be non-faction. He wants to play like a pirate.

But then I would spend my time hunting him down, being the good federation officer I am.

That's what I'm saying. Just because Cryptic introduces the Neutral side would not mean suddenly the Federation or Klingon side would be completely empty. Just as some players will play the neutral pirate/merchant/etc..., there will also be players that prefer the experience of the Federation and/or Klingon side instead.

There is no reason to restrict players from playing whatever faction they want by forcing them to play or unlock it first. Give players choices and make all the choices equally enticing if you want equal use. Prime example is the Klingon faction. Excellent faction and passionate players yet it is still nearly empty in comparison to the Federation side. Not because no one wants to play a Klingon, but because Cryptic didn't put an equally enticing Klingon experience in their game.