Lt. Commander
# 21
06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Before we would get a non-faction (with which I agree in broad strokes) we nee more than double of the existing sector space we have now. A non faction should not have its own space. A nonfaction should exist in the space of other factions. Thus i say the next faction should not be a nonfaction. We need to see two more fully fleshed faction adding more sectors to those that exist already. THEN we should have the nonfaction added.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Before we would get a non-faction (with which I agree in broad strokes) we nee more than double of the existing sector space we have now. A non faction should not have its own space. A nonfaction should exist in the space of other factions. Thus i say the next faction should not be a nonfaction. We need to see two more fully fleshed faction adding more sectors to those that exist already. THEN we should have the nonfaction added.
Actually, I would disagree here. The one benefit of a Neutral Faction is that we DON'T need more space created. For example, if we were to introduce the Romulans or Cardassians or whatever, then we need to have those areas created and fleshed out. However, if you were to introduce a Neutral faction you don't need to do any of that. No need to have new space since they use the current space, no need to have new races since they use current races (ie., Ferengi, Orion, etc...), no need to have new hubs since they use the current hubs (Qo'nos & Sol), etc....

Now, don't get me wrong, i would love to see two more factions and alot more space built, but I think we would get more return on a neutral faction for the effort than on a brand new faction. I'm sure they will look at both options and make a decision though...
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm inclined to agree with japax, logical reasoning from this poster.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
I'm inclined to agree with japax, logical reasoning from this poster.
Thanks. That was nice to see. Now, if I could just get Cryptic to hire me on as a highly paid consultant for this new project....

(Ok, truthfully, I would do it for the experience alone, but don't tell them that. Maybe I can get the six figures, company car and corner office. I'm sure they all have those just sitting around unused! )
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japax
Actually, I would disagree here. The one benefit of a Neutral Faction is that we DON'T need more space created. For example, if we were to introduce the Romulans or Cardassians or whatever, then we need to have those areas created and fleshed out. However, if you were to introduce a Neutral faction you don't need to do any of that. No need to have new space since they use the current space, no need to have new races since they use current races (ie., Ferengi, Orion, etc...), no need to have new hubs since they use the current hubs (Qo'nos & Sol), etc....

Now, don't get me wrong, i would love to see two more factions and alot more space built, but I think we would get more return on a neutral faction for the effort than on a brand new faction. I'm sure they will look at both options and make a decision though...
The reason I say there needs to be more virtual real estate is there needs to be room to put enough nonfaction material in for people to play with as little overlap as possible. I still stand by my statement. I address a deeper design and deployment need that just "desire". Systemic logistics is the real issue I poke at.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-24-2010, 11:00 AM
I think this idea is great.
They could put a load of factions into the neutral faction.Like Talaxian's,Ferengi...all the trader factions.
As other factions are introduced they could implement items that could be only traded to other factions via the neutral faction.
Thats how the neutral faction could lvl up,with a trade xp.They are already going to diplo missions.Trade missions could be cool to!
The simple idea's are always the best
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuzzle
The simple idea's are always the best
Ah, so that's why my Basic Training Instructor kept calling me "Simple".
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Sounds like Microsoft's Freelancer game from 2000. (http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/) You could do missions from the dozens of factions to get in good with them. Making one happy made their enemies hate you. Made flying through certain sectors of space a bit difficult if the controlling faction didn't like you. Freelancer was fleshed out pretty well. You could be running missions for the police/navy or the pirates. Or just running cargo (legal or not) in a cargo ship.

Not sure how well Cryptic could work in something like that into an existing Trek game. Sounds more like a complete overhaul than an add-on and have it be worth doing.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracounguis
Sounds like Microsoft's Freelancer game from 2000. (http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/) You could do missions from the dozens of factions to get in good with them. Making one happy made their enemies hate you. Made flying through certain sectors of space a bit difficult if the controlling faction didn't like you. Freelancer was fleshed out pretty well. You could be running missions for the police/navy or the pirates. Or just running cargo (legal or not) in a cargo ship.

Not sure how well Cryptic could work in something like that into an existing Trek game. Sounds more like a complete overhaul than an add-on and have it be worth doing.

Thats a great example and one that should give Cryptic some inspiration to chew on. I even loaded that up just last year to try it out online in some of the servers that players have modded and ran. Worked like a champ and was alot of fun. Even looked pretty good graphically for being such an old game. This is exactly how I would envision a space game no matter where the setting.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
you just want to be malcolm reynolds!

go brownshirts!