Lt. Commander
I know there are more pressing matters and likely the STO team is all concerned with Season 2 by now. But if you find the time would it be possible to maybe turn Sol and Earth orbit into something more realistic and beautiful?

I can't be the only one who's bothered with this?

Cryptic, you did a wonderful job with many of the space-born sceneries in this game. Earth isn't one of them yet but given it's central role in the game (and Star Trek) you should think about changing that.

My personal suggestions:

a) Change the background. That blue nebula just looks out of place. Replace it with a plainer starfield and maybe a faint hint of the center of the galaxy somewhere.
b) Make Earth bigger. The current Earth model looks tiny and unimportant. For all we know, Earth is one of the bigger class M planets and it's size should be increased. This would also give the system a less empty feel. And it leads to:
c) Move the stations. As of now the starbases and docks don't look like they're in Earth orbit. The satellites for example seem randomly placed.
d) Move the moon. Earth and it's moon look way too close to each other! Move the moon to the edge of the map or even beyond that.
e) Add clouds. Realism for the win.

z) Maybe: Change Starbase 1. This one is (more) optional and, I guess, unlikely too happen. But Starbase 1 doesn't look Starfleet-like. I'd love to see the original Stardock model in it's place. While I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way, I fully understand if you won't change that.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Earth needs moving clouds and/or planetary rotation, this should be a high priority.
Because right now it just feels like a static beach ball in space.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Earth needs moving clouds and/or planetary rotation, this should be a high priority.
Because right now it just feels like a static beach ball in space.
Agreed. One of the first things I noticed during beta is the Earth's rotation... or lack thereof :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Earth also seems to have some serious environmental issues as there is very little cloud coverage. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I agree with all of this, Earth in game...doesnt feel like Earth. I would also reccomend revamping the interior with new turbolift doors, sliiding doors and LCARS coloured consoles and changing the default starbase staff uniform to TNG film uniforms.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-22-2010, 03:07 AM
I've added clouds to the list. Of course they are missing!

I'm not too sure about rotation of the planet, though. If they add it, rotation should be very slow, nearly unnoticable. Everything else would be unrealistic and a step backwards, IMO.

I don't agree with the TNG uniforms for Starbase 1, Morgomir, or the LCARS for that matter - Star Trek Online should somehow stay true to its own time. The new uniforms and the blue LCARS are part of that. Sliding doors and turbolifts would be cool, though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-22-2010, 03:53 AM
It's been a while since it was last mentioned but last i heard on an Earth upgrade is that cryptic were doing the entire Sol system.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I think they actually said that the entire Sol System is already done but they don't have content for it yet and thus won't release it at the moment.

I really do hope that somewhere along the completion of the Solar System is a cosmetic overhaul for Sol. It'd be too bad if STO's central game hub would remain one of the least impressive ones. :/
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
agreed on all points
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-26-2010, 04:33 PM
What I've just noticed. There's a screenshot of Mars and Utopia Planitia flying around the forum - and it shows a completely different red-brownish background.

Cryptic, that's just silly! Please, make at least the space in the Sol System look similar.