Lt. Commander
# 1 pvp update in season 5?
01-06-2011, 06:55 AM
I know season 4 is going to be the crew update, and thats good....

I think we need a nice parallel to the foundy..with the foundry we have a strong way to keep players occupied between updates that is user generated...something that will keep players busy for years.

We need a PVP equivalent, a robust, user driven territory control system , that will offer another avenue for players to create content, by competing for systems.

the hex based map style has been mentioned many times...it's also instancing friendly, global agenda is a good example of a hex based conquest game.

I think season 5 would be prime for this, and if the system was done right it could accomodate future factions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2011, 07:02 AM
we do need some pvp badly. id hope they start sooner than season 5 though. id be delighted to see something in season 4
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2011, 07:12 AM
I'll just be happy when it arrives.
That and a pair of earplugs for the Crying that will insue because PvP got some attention over PvE.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Honestly, the Crew System and Combat Changes don't sound nearly as massive as Season 3's changes.

Hopefully, PvP and Exploration are getting some super-secret attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
That and a pair of earplugs for the Crying that will insue because PvP got some attention over PvE.
The general attitude from the anti-PvP camp is that we don't just have different values, we have the wrong ones and all developer time is wasted if they do anything for PvP (nevermind that PvP's last content update was nearly a year ago (Shanty town) and the last changes at all were for the interface and back in Season 2).
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2011, 07:39 AM
The way I see it, there are different things that can be added to improve the PvP experience, with increasing complexity. Not all of them need to be done perhaps, but they should be carefully considered.
  • Different Emblem Reward scheme - more Emblems for winning, less for mere participation => An incentive to fight for a victory.
  • New PvP Maps
  • Tournament System
  • Some kind of Player or Fleet Ranking and long-term statistics.
  • Set Items for PvP
  • UGC Support for PvP maps
  • Open PvP with Territory Control

Quote:
The general attitude from the anti-PvP camp is that we don't just have different values, we have the wrong ones and all developer time is wasted if they do anything for PvP (nevermind that PvP's last content update was nearly a year ago (Shanty town) and the last changes at all were for the interface and back in Season 2).
I am worried that bringing this up alone would just fuel more antagonism. In the end, everyone is entitled to his own badwrongfun.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I really want to see some PVP only rewards just like the borg sets are PVE only.

I will never get my hands on a borg set because I don't PVE, so to get something like it, but different in PVP would give me a nice goal.

Also open terrtorial PVP would be a massive addition to keep PVP happy for some time, however with the current player balance, I fear the sheer numbers of the Federation would means the Klingons get into trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am worried that bringing this up alone would just fuel more antagonism. In the end, everyone is entitled to his own badwrongfun.
I don't have different values; I have the wrong ones!

baaaahhhh..... *sniffles*

Seriously though, anyone who is a strict PvE enthusiast would be raiding Cryptic's offices if they went a year without content updates.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by snix on July 30 View Post
Greetings all,

I wanted to give out some information on what's on the way for PvP in the near term.

1) A bug fix for the updated PvP queue system that causes match launch failure.

2) A simplified queue list that focuses the choices to space/ground, game type, and factions.

3) A new PvP Private Battle lobby interface. Private battles will allow for a wide variety of customization for creating the battle scenario you want to play.
Want to play 1 on 1? In.
Want to play 3 on 5? In.
Want to play with teams of mixed tier ships against another? In.
Want to mix Starfleet and Klingon ships on the same side? In.

Basically the only restrictions are the game type being tied to the battlefield map, as those elements are linked together with the way the existing maps are built. Otherwise, you'll have the functionality to either create a straightforward private match or recreate whatever team configurations you want to play with. This will be great for Fleets or Houses to challenge each other using their players from across all rank ranges.
4) Specific tournament queues that open for a fixed window of time (likely something short to start with; a weekend) that will track your individual performance and display the results with rewards given out for top honors.

More is on the way, but the above is in development (or already in testing) and should be out soon.

Thanks as always for your patience,
-snix
Where's the orange stuff?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

Seriously though, anyone who is a strict PvE enthusiast would be raiding Cryptic's offices if they went a year without content updates.
And get owned by the dozen PVPers who camp the office for their content
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
I really want to see some PVP only rewards just like the borg sets are PVE only.

I will never get my hands on a borg set because I don't PVE, so to get something like it, but different in PVP would give me a nice goal.
I should add this to my list.

In general I think that all types of gameplay - Standard PvE Missions (Mission Rewards), Explorations (=> Crafting), PvP (Vendors), Fleet Actions (Mission Rewards) and STFs (Vendor or Mission Rewards) should grant unique rewards you can only get doing that type of content. Item sets and consumables might be ideal for this.

Quote:
Seriously though, anyone who is a strict PvE enthusiast would be raiding Cryptic's offices if they went a year without content updates
Or he would just leave the game, which I am afraid a few PvPers have already done. Though many seem very persistent. (Even though PvP isn't. )