Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-23-2010, 06:56 PM
there's PvP ?

I thought that menu was a placeholder, like Andoria and the duels.

.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
I disagree it is caused or has anything to do with Klingons being OP at lower levels. I don't think there is even a balance issue any more after the latest nerf bat.

At this point I think there needs to be more space maps and I think some of them need to have smaller overall populations to play. Instead of 20 players total make it smaller denominations.
Yes, that. We've had the same old same old same old maps and matches for far too long now. It's way past time for something new. And that stupid thing about not being able to leave a match - that needs to go. It was the end of ground PVP for me. Getting trapped in yet another 5v1 match? No. Hell no.

That's not been changed, has it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I think there needs to be more motivation to PVP. Whats the point in doing it other than bragging rights? There should be some kind of reward or something else to make someone want to sit in a queue and get into a match.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-23-2010, 07:09 PM
PVP is a reward in and of itself. i don't understand why people DONT like it personally.

And BTW, I play Fed side.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
06-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I've said it from the beginning. There are two things that are needed to save PvP.

First, we need BALANCE. Klingon ships have a HUGE advantage, especially at lower level. When you're able to outdamage your foes in excess of 10-1 without any real effort, it points to a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguila432 View Post
I think trekkies in general consider pvp a low priority issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Personally, I hope PvP dies altogether. I'm tired of game developers making sweeping nerfs (i.e. SWG's NGE and STO's escort DPS nerf) solely because of the great minority known as PvP whiners.
I think I have to agree w/ all of these statements. I am not a fan of PvP, I have tried it though and when I have it has been less than enjoyable because of how extremely OPed the Klingon ships appear to be. At times it feels like running over and over into a fire because all I have gotten out of it was burned.

Some Star Trek fans in general don't seem to be big in PvP or combat. There have been tons of threads w/ players requesting LESS combat oriented content, so much so that Cryptic is adding in their new diplomatic core so that people can level w/ less combat.

I'm also tired of my PvE being affected by nerfs because of attempts to balance powers for PvP.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s32ndDamian View Post
Yeah and the FEDS have "slightly" more content on the PvE side. When they fix that I'll worry about the ONLY gig we have going being EVEN.
While it's a straw man argument, and as such fallacious, you don' tseem to realize that this is the very reason there is no one to play. People won't do something that isn't fun. Disbalance isn't fun, ergo, people don't PvP. It doesn't matter WHY it's disbalanced, only that it IS.

I have ground PvPed with my Klingon, and fairly frequently. I've never noticed any tribble disbalance. In fact, with Batlh'etlh in hand, my Klingon is something of a juggernaut. He rarely gets defeated, and usually only if outnumbered. The same is true of my Federation characters.

Klingons can make the same Tribbles as the Feds can, so what's the problem?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
How about battles are too short in allot of cases. BoP's and escorts can eat your shields and hull in less than 15 seconds. While some PvPers don't mind this (and probobly expect this), there was the attitude giving by the developers that space battles would take more time and not be decided within seconds. Part of this has to do with damage (doesn't help that Kingons and Galaxy-X's get 15% damage bonus on decloak) or the way some tactical patterns stack. It also hurts when science vessels can strip away all defence abilities when defence mechanics rely heavily on buffing.

But I think the major issue is the map designs and the team communication limitations. Not everone uses voice chat and you can only have five membes on your team which hurts not only healers, but anyone wanting to find where their faction mates are. It also doesn't help when these matches start when teams are 5 to 1 due to those who snoozed or canceled their queue.

There is a small variety of maps and some maps such as capture and hold are just too small. More variety should be added to these types of PvP in the form of more maps or randomizing the map itself. Just for example, in Capture and hold, why not have each point trigger some form of actions (say the center starbase becomes active and shoots at the opposite team, while sensor array provides a wider sensor net).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
It's too bad the battles aren't more like Starfleet Command (ie Starfleet Battles). Much more tactical. Unfortunately, we're victims of DS9, where Starships were shown doing things the way Starfighters do. Thus, we are stuck with 2 second fights.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Could it be that the reason PvP queues are less now is that some people are bored and taking a break from the game and waiting until Season 2 delivers some new content?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It's too bad the battles aren't more like Starfleet Command (ie Starfleet Battles). Much more tactical. Unfortunately, we're victims of DS9, where Starships were shown doing things the way Starfighters do. Thus, we are stuck with 2 second fights.
It's only two second fights if your team doesn't know how to use heals.

This is what irritates me. There are about 5 or so good pvp fleets on the federation side and about 1 good pvp klingon fleet. There are also significantly worse players on the federation side, so what gives? player skill level.
  • The DPS potential between factions is the same; I've seen the damage levels of the best klinks playing their federation alts and reaching the same numbers. The Federation has access to the same exact weaponry and the same exact skills as the KDF.
  • The Healing potential between factions is higher on the federation side; Federation ships have access to a second science or second engineering officer at tier 5, Klingon ships have a 3rd tactical or 3rd engineering or are missing the slot completely.
  • The Klingon cloak only affects the first 10 seconds of battle; The same klingons that kill you within 10 seconds of cloaking will be able to kill you within 10 seconds of engaging if they were on the federation side. The only difference is that Klinks will always shoot first, if you cannot plan accordingly you will fail. No if, ands, or buts.
  • Teams without healers will die; it doesn't matter whose side they are on - Klingon or federation. Against a team with healers you will lose. The amount of reasons why this happens are way to long to bother listing here
So thats four big reasons why the fail is so epic on this thread. Rather than actually improve, the players in this thread have largely decided to swing the nerfbat (again). I'm just gonna be honest here - try not to suck when you decide swing the nerfbat, chances are your going to hit yourself in the head with it before you actually succeed in getting something nerfed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 AM.