Lt. Commander
# 1 Immersion
06-24-2010, 07:59 AM
What do people thing the word "immersion" means? As I have seen it used on these forums, and others, I have come to the conclusion that the people who do use the term no not it's actual meaning. Help me and cryptic understand what you think you want from STO by defining your understanding of immersion.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
The Dictionary is your friend.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
The Dictionary is your friend.
You know, I was going to add a line about not wanting a dictionary definition but I decided not to believing people were intelligent enough to realize what the phrase "defining your understanding of immersion" meant. I guess I should never have made that assumption.

Please provide your understanding of immersion and not a dictionary definition. I want the meaning your derive from the word not the current definition as dictated by institutions who make it their business to provide meanings for other people. As gamers, this is one of those words we bring expanded meaning to WELL beyond that of nongamers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-24-2010, 08:29 AM
The dictionary definition is what the word means. That's what the dictionary is for. There isn't some strange cult that decides on what a word means and then then dictates that to everyone in the world.

Dictionary definitions are derived from consensus on the understanding as to the meaning of a word.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-24-2010, 08:39 AM
The only thing to remember while defining immersion is to take into consideration the limitations of game mechanics. For example, one thing I see alot of people request for greater immersion is that the game be developed around player filled crews rather than each player being a seperate Captain.

So, rather than just saying, "I want to be a medical officer working on the crew of my buddies ship and let HIM be the captain" would be easy, actually implementing that would not be feasible since it would then be impossible for solo players to be able to play since they would have no crew. Also, the problems of a crew of players who find themselves unable to play because Jimmy the Engineer isn't in game on Saturday would be terrible. So, while considering that, also come up with options that would fit within that idea.

For example, using that idea, to meet it mostly would be to have every player a solo captain with their own crew (for the solo-ists) but also have the option for players to team up and combine efforts in more ways. Now, as much as player would like, i don't think doing it in combat would work due to the speed of combat and the limited abilities of each section. Comm generally only does one thing every minute or so and Medical may not do anything usually which would be boring for those players. So, meet in the middle with the idea that combat is solo control of a ship but noncombat time (Travel, etc...) could have their skills/efforts combined.

Whatever idea anyone comes up with, just be sure to look at it from the completely opposite side of your view. PvP supporting players should consider the player that absolute hates PvP and recognize that it should not be forced on them. PvE players should consider the PvP supporters and ensure that they have equal support while ensuring it does't hinder their own enjoyment. Always see the second side of the coin.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Immersion has to do with the feeling of actually "being there", in this case the Star Trek Universe.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Perfect, Alex! Great defination for STO.

Lt. Commander
# 8
06-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
The dictionary definition is what the word means. That's what the dictionary is for. There isn't some strange cult that decides on what a word means and then then dictates that to everyone in the world.

Dictionary definitions are derived from consensus on the understanding as to the meaning of a word.
With all due respect, the dictionary definition is the definition. Meaning of a word does not always align whit the dictionary definition, especially when a subculture applies it to that subcultures needs. I can argue semantics and semiotics if you like. That's what my "job" actually is. You can go by strict "being told what a word means" definitions and practices. I'll go with the "living and changing" language that is the active reality.

Immersion has a distinctly different meaning for video game players and MMORPG players than "the consensus". It is that meaning I am addressing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
1. the action of immersing or the state of being immersed.
Isn't it awesome when the dictionary defines a word by using it, that is essentially the same as me defining the word it as

IT
Word

1. it

anyway, I think immersion would come from just having more to do at end game, I know we have 4 STFs, but how about more places to go, daily missions, perhaps factions that you can gain allegiances with for better items or faction specific items, like titles or ship paint schemes, heck passive abilities would be awesome.