Lt. Commander
Ship-Based Item Research System
complete "crafting" aboard your ship

Synopsis:
There are many crafting ideas out there and at least one planned by the developers for Season 2.

However, this proposal is robust answer to many players' reservations over the existing Memory Alpha crafting. This proposal would not strictly replace that.

It would, instead, provide at least two more skills to level (which operate on their own skill tree). The items made would not be outshone by gear from daily missions - thus making it rewarding for end-game.

----------------------

Table of Contents:
  • Modify Item Menu
    • Overview
    • Researcher Leveling
  • Reclaim Item Menu
    • Overview
    • Reverse Engineering Leveling
  • Skill Tree Menu

----------------------

Modify Item Menu
Overview
After going to their ship's engineering, medical bay, or armory: players would have drop-down lists to select from a variety of appropriate attributes for gear.

They'd select which attributes they'd like to change (less expensive) or add (more expensive).

Researcher Leveling
Players would progress from creating uncommon, low-Mk gear with lesser attributes to very rare, high-Mk gear with greater attributes.

For example:
  • Beginner researchers could develop a Deflector Dish with a bonus to sensors.
  • High-end researchers could develop a Deflector Dish with an extremely rare bonus (like a slightly higher bonus than Marks of Honor/Exploration gear or even unique abilities, much like ground shields have).
Reclaim Item Menu
Overview
In addition to researching new items, players could also reverse engineer items or "reclaim" them.

There's a maximum value for how many resources various attributes could yield, if reclaimed. Players would only get a % of this value - partially based on chance and partially based on their own level "reverse engineer" level.

This is similar to disenchanting from World of ******** but with the potential for minigames.

Reverse Engineering Leveling
Like Research, Reverse Engineers would have their separate leveling system. The greater their ability, the more powerful items they could reclaim: from Mk value to the number of attributes. They would also reclaim a greater percentage of the anomalous materials used to create that item.
Skill Tree Menu
From this menu, players could see their progress toward a variety of research fields and specialties.

This would be a large system - requiring significant time investment to research the upper-most tiers. Furthermore, it can scale to add new tiers of research.

Ideally, it would run parallel to level progression but would have it's own leveling and experience tracking. In practice, a player could be a Vice Admiral 1 but still only have the starter research abilities (and vice-versa).

Players select specialties as they reach each tier of research. This means players have mutually exclusive choice. I can make the best energy weapons and kinetic weapons but, in doing so, could not research the best ship, hull, consoles, etc.

You start very broad and then narrow in your research.

Attributes to apply toward items come in packs based on your level in chosen specialties.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
I like it. We need a "tinkering" system and the way you have laid it out in your post is a great implementation.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiesel17 View Post
I like it. We need a "tinkering" system and the way you have laid it out in your post is a great implementation.
I'm working on expanding it to include skills trees and attributes.

Add minigames and it could be more involving that WoW's disenchanting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes, Please! I've been wanting that kind of system to allow us (and not just Cryptic) to create our own preferred weapons. It simply makes sense that Star Trek characters would be able to use their ships and crew to enhance and break-down their gear this way and I'm very surprised that Cryptic hasn't yet put this in-game!

If you check my thread that talks about mission re-playability, I offered a sort of an alternative crafting system that effectively results in the same abilities, namely for us to create our own variances in gear. I'd love either suggestion to blossom and eventually be implemented... are you listening... Cryptic? Do *you* guys get it, Cryptic?!
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Some things I'm working on:
  • Improving legibility of item info window.
  • Adding name item function (for custom item names, like SWG).
  • Attribute Variance (small % change to item attribute's value, based on skill. i.e. +2.1% to 2.5% critical chance instead of +2%).
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Sounds good, as long as you have a tree and can only go into one branch so that no one player can not do everything. We should have to specialize in just one area so that it will encourage interaction between players and make it more valuable to have a skill.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playadogg
Sounds good, as long as you have a tree and can only go into one branch so that no one player can not do everything. We should have to specialize in just one area so that it will encourage interaction between players and make it more valuable to have a skill.
I presumed that but I should make that more apparent - even Memory Alpha currently has trees.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-24-2010, 09:48 AM
i'm a fan of the idea of reverse engineering of items. instead of trading in essentially junk items to a vendor and receiving something i can use for crafting. what items you receive should be linked to its listed 'value'

what i'm not a fan of would be potentially having to unlock crafting levels / abilities for what would be the third time. recognition of prior crafting would need to be taken into account in some manner.

admitedly, if new crafting abilities are introduced, that weren't available prior, some need for leveling of 'new' skills would be acceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-24-2010, 09:52 AM
/signed for support.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK-187
i'm a fan of the idea of reverse engineering of items. instead of trading in essentially junk items to a vendor and receiving something i can use for crafting. what items you receive should be linked to its listed 'value'

what i'm not a fan of would be potentially having to unlock crafting levels / abilities for what would be the third time. recognition of prior crafting would need to be taken into account in some manner.

admitedly, if new crafting abilities are introduced, that weren't available prior, some need for leveling of 'new' skills would be acceptable.
Hopefully, Memory Alpha could be computed towards ship-board crafting.

A robust system is definitely needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
/signed for support.
Thanks. Hopefully, with enough feedback or support, developers can move this up the priority list for Season 3 or 4.