Lt. Commander
# 21
06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'm making another pass and adding more features.

Polish what's there, explain where necessary, and add features like skill trees and item variance (so it's not just some set recipe - it's a full-on experiment with levels of success or failure).

The great part is that I already have PSD files saved with the GUI layouts from previous proposals. This makes creating new menus quite simple.
Great Scott!!!

You know, Cryptic is hiring right?!?!?!

I wish they would give you a gold name...
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
I'm going back and modifying it to be more audacious.

Everyone seems to be leaning toward a SWG style - even me.

So, I'm working on stuff to pad it out and be competitive with other crafting systems I'm familiar with.
Theres some stuff there.
surveying- http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Planetary_survey
Mining- http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Mining
Particle Fountain Project- http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Particle_Fountain_Project
Freighters- http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Freighter

As to the crafting method, dunno I guess it depends on whether you want modular or simple item combinations for item creation. Your more simple stuff for like consumables and equipable items, is likely going to be similar to UO, WoW or Fallen earth item crafting. There arent many other ways you can do that because its for the players personal use, or for the players person and used during ground game play, you nab a few resources, possibly some small components, hit combine, bamm theres an item. Player can then be on his way and use it. It doesnt hurt to throw experimentation into that process though.

Now if your after bigger crafting which is actually building more so, than you want modular crafting.
Your modular is going to be things we saw mainly in games like swg, ***. Your creating large structures, bases, homes, ships, large extractors, ship parts ect.. those require several large components to make one big item.

Or, if your a crafting freak of nature like me, you do both.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Quote:
I'm still not sure if temporary or permanent buffs would be preferred by everyone.

What does the rest of the community say?
i do wonder. if it is temp, is it going to be on a charge type basis that you can swap out or refill? if it is permanent how would that be, clarified, as the way it is now?

as per SWG method, the uniqueness of it individually and encompass as a whole was the best blending. depending on you mats, it was experiment to each part....i dont recall all of the minute` details but recollect my experience in that profession was it allowed you to determine how good each aspect of the overall item was going to be. So, if you had the very best mats you were going to turn out the best item to use......that is the style i relish to see in any new MMO's! even this one.

Quote:

Now if your after bigger crafting which is actually building more so, than you want modular crafting.
Your modular is going to be things we saw mainly in games like swg, ***. Your creating large structures, bases, homes, ships, large extractors, ship parts ect.. those require several large components to make one big item.
to me this always seemed to give the best results. just like Linux, modular designs make it easier to build, produce, design and usually have the most variation in the look and coloring of a item. one man crafting it all seems about as lame as making RA5 in 14 days, but the point is to make it worthwhile and diverse, that way you would need a team or to rely on someone else.....as is common in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-25-2010, 11:19 PM
For those unfamiliar with the direction being taken, here's a simple primer on SWG's crafting system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw7YEbhtYcw#t=1m00s

However, Star Trek Online players won't be crafting space pants (I hope). :p
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Updated:

Stuff I'm Working On:

• Item Variance
  • Crafting Minigame(s)?
  • Fixes to current charts
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Updated:

Stuff I'm Working On:

• Item Variance
  • Crafting Minigame(s)?
  • Fixes to current charts
(I know you posted in my "farming" thread)

And you know that the "farming" would tie in perfectly with this crafting system.

Alas I have to battle "Farmtown" or whatever it is called...I hate pre-judgeries!

(Keep up the good work!)
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm still working on item variance and other features (lots of homework this semester - 16 credits during summer term, full-time is 8).

The variance tables resemble d100 / percentile dice in Dungeons and Dragons.

Good idea? Bad idea? Meh?

Fixes should be up in a couple days (unless my homework decides to attack again).
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I still think temporary mods/buffs would be more likely to get implemented.
And be a better 'resource sink' in general for the game economy.

I wouldnt mess with variance tables, thats going to be all Cryptic anyway.

I would say that using a minigame would increase the extreme reactions (hands on tinkering) - for critical failure and success rates. As opposed to just clicking the button on the interface, no hands-on, = no critical reactions.

But I'll repeat - I really think they need something like this added to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack

I wouldnt mess with variance tables, thats going to be all Cryptic anyway.

I would say that using a minigame would increase the extreme reactions (hands on tinkering) - for critical failure and success rates. As opposed to just clicking the button on the interface, no hands-on, = no critical reactions.

But I'll repeat - I really think they need something like this added to STO.
I think you're right about the variance tables. As much as I'd like to recreate my weapons vendor days in SWG, I doubt it'd happen in STO.

However, what about long-term research of c-store ship parts? D-stahl mentioned something to this effect - have a long enough time doing quests/grinding to get them may have the "bean counters" look the other way.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack

However, what about long-term research of c-store ship parts? D-stahl mentioned something to this effect - have a long enough time doing quests/grinding to get them may have the "bean counters" look the other way.
I support the notion of long term research, especially when it comes time for big stuff like player ships and starbases. I have a feeling 'long term' research may be related to a combination of (a) gathering anomalies, (b) using item-sub-combines and (c) time to research... and by that I mean literal RL timers (like SWG mining)

That said, any research system you design should be, in my not-so-humble opinion, thought out with two goals, (1) temp buffs/powers because of the higher chance it would get implemented and (2) a feeder system to "real" crafting, as a method of acquiring 'experience points' and materials in a larger crafting system.

A robust research (some mix of dis-enchant + craft or recombine) for the temp stuff would be a boost to those who just want the short term fix of the "potions/blessings" they could get, as well as the long-term crafter crowd that would use it for bigger/better crafts. double dipping. two birds with one system kind of thing.