Lt. Commander
# 31
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
I support the notion of long term research, especially when it comes time for big stuff like player ships and starbases. I have a feeling 'long term' research may be related to a combination of (a) gathering anomalies, (b) using item-sub-combines and (c) time to research... and by that I mean literal RL timers (like SWG mining)

That said, any research system you design should, in my not-so-humble opinion, be thought out with two goals, temp buffs/powers because of the higher chance it would get implemented and (b) a feeder system to "real" crafting, as a method of acquiring 'experience points' and materials in a larger crafting system.

Whatever crafting system they devise, a robust research (some mix of dis-enchant + craft or recombine) for the temp stuff would be a boost to the game because it would benefit two player groups; those who just want the short term fix of the "potions/blessings" they could get, and the long-term crafter crowd that would use it for bigger/better crafts.
I'd have to agree. While I'd love item variance and fine graduadtions between crafted items (ala SWG), it's a nightmare to code and would push "better" crafting out into infinity.

I wonder:
  • What ideas are the developers kicking around for improving or expanding crafting - especially aboard our ships?
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-20-2010, 12:45 AM
I agree, it would be interesting to learn more about that.

Didn't I read something from Dstahl lately that said we needed more items and more powers?

This thread seems to me like a way for them to introduce both, and with a lower risk factor.
By giving us an avenue to research and create temporary items and temporary powers they get new stuff info the game, stuff they can gather real date on, stuff that they can re-balance with a lower impact since items would naturally expire or be used up... and they get a system that they can relate them to a bigger crafting system both in the reverse engineering ('disenchanting') angle and the pure research angle. a win win win win....
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote:
I agree, it would be interesting to learn more about that.

Didn't I read something from Dstahl lately that said we needed more items and more powers?

This thread seems to me like a way for them to introduce both, and with a lower risk factor.
By giving us an avenue to research and create temporary items and temporary powers they get new stuff info the game, stuff they can gather real date on, stuff that they can re-balance with a lower impact since items would naturally expire or be used up... and they get a system that they can relate them to a bigger crafting system both in the reverse engineering ('disenchanting') angle and the pure research angle. a win win win win....
As it stands, this would be fairly easy to implement. However, would it be fun? How do we make this more engaging (or, gasp, risky)?

I'd love to see what ideas the developers are kicking around. I know Season 2 is introducing new item attributes.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
As it stands, this would be fairly easy to implement. However, would it be fun? How do we make this more engaging (or, gasp, risky)?

I can see two ways. If its attached to a mini-game, harder game settings = better potential rewards, or some type of slider bar from safe....risky that affect the risk/reward algorithm. Instead of a bell curve with most rewards being kind of average, you could invert that curve. What's risk? from loss of materials to ship damage or personal injuries that need repaired/healed to debuffs instead of buffs.

Would it be fun? well its a gamble, it could be fun in the sense that its pretty random. COH had 'experimentation labs' that if you were inside when you destroyed the equipment you were hit with a random effect that typically lasted 10mn. it was always entertaining to see what you'd get - 10mn wasnt bad for a debuff, and could really come in handy as an extra buff. I can see some parallels with what we're describing.

I too would like to see if they have any system like this in store for us.
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
I can see two ways. If its attached to a mini-game, harder game settings = better potential rewards, or some type of slider bar from safe....risky that affect the risk/reward algorithm. Instead of a bell curve with most rewards being kind of average, you could invert that curve. What's risk? from loss of materials to ship damage or personal injuries that need repaired/healed to debuffs instead of buffs.

Would it be fun? well its a gamble, it could be fun in the sense that its pretty random. COH had 'experimentation labs' that if you were inside when you destroyed the equipment you were hit with a random effect that typically lasted 10mn. it was always entertaining to see what you'd get - 10mn wasnt bad for a debuff, and could really come in handy as an extra buff. I can see some parallels with what we're describing.

I too would like to see if they have any system like this in store for us.
That'd be interesting. They could create opposites of the death penalty effects (i.e. take any penalty and makee it positive).

The death penalty descriptions are one of the most intriguing components of Star Trek Online. Hopefully, they can follow suit with crafting.