Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beringer
Cryptic Devs/Mods,

In response to the huge amount of controversy over the AGT Galaxy, I am posting this thread urging you to take a stand against this kind of immature behavior. In preface, I am currently a sales manager for Sprint, and I have been in sales management for over 7 years. I know how to motivate people to sell!

1) Continue to provide motivation for the sales men and women of STO to recruit people to the game.

3) Give you justification to delete/lock all the polls/threads full of fail and whine, thus reducing the amount of negative energy on the forums. Negative energy is bad for business! If a stand is taken I guarentee 9/10 of the nay sayers will actually get off thier rears and recruit people, and that is GOOD for business!

A) You probably are not close to qualified.

B) But more importantly, all this time you spend postnig nonsense on the forums, you could have been out recruiting people

One thing though,
I'm not a sales person who needs to be motivated to sell.
I'm a paying customer who needs to be motivated to keep playing this game and renewing my subscription. And as such, I don't want to excluded from ANY new game content. To do so, is VERY bad for business
.
Now, if we got other new ships in the game, for no extra charge, with new features and abilities, there might not be such a hub bub about this ship. It's new,fresh and unique in an otherwise new content vacuum, at least in this particular area .

The fact is this:
New ships have really not been added yet, (unless at the c store for more money)
So when this new ship comes along EVERYONE wants it....
We play to have fun. Things can get old quick, and new ships are fun, especially if they have neat new abilities that other in game ones don't have. When I'm doing the same dailies, over and over and OVER again, to get purple gear and such, I might get board with the older ships and may want to try out new ones. Especially if I don't find the current in game ones designs particularly pleasing.
.
To be honest, If they came out with the Excelsior, or Nebula or whatever, for us first, rather than push a sales incentive, "reward" out, this might not have been such as big of an issue.
It's the lack of new content being the issue here. Using new content, as a carrot on a stick to get us to spend our limited free time, to do anything other than play this game, for which we've paid for, is what caused this "huge amount of controversy". At least in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
06-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherPower
Speaking as a fellow human being, and as I'm sure you're aware, there's a lot of stuff "the many" WANTS but doesn't really NEED. Ask any smoker, heroin addict, or family wherein the children outnumber the parents. And therein lies the rub....
Unfortunately for your argument, we're not talking about smoking, heroin, or any other harmful substance. We're talking about a ship in a video game. And for that matter, no one actually NEEDS it, even the people who get it through the referral program. But in the context of this discussion, the point stands that the many outweigh the few. And most importantly, Cryptic has already shown that they agree with that
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
06-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Unfortunately for your argument, we're not talking about smoking, heroin, or any other harmful substance.
Yeah, but methinks the "children outnumbering the parents" clause fits perfectly.

And while we're talking context, the quotation you cited utilizes "needs" as the primary factor.

Just sayin'...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
06-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Unfortunately for your argument, we're not talking about smoking, heroin, or any other harmful substance.
As well, you may not be familiar with either analogies or hyperbole as literary devices.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherPower
Yeah, but methinks the "children outnumbering the parents" clause fits perfectly.
If only we were discussing the subject of children and parents you might have a point. But since we arent, you dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherPower
And while we're talking context, the quotation you cited utilizes "needs" as the primary factor.

Just sayin'...
Oh look, you just repeated the point I made in my last post:

"We're talking about a ship in a video game. And for that matter, no one actually NEEDS it, even the people who get it through the referral program."

Good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherPower
As well, you may not be familiar with either analogies or hyperbole as literary devices.
Their great, arent they? Sadly, yours have nothing to do with what we're discussing
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
If only we were discussing the subject of children and parents you might have a point. But since we arent, you dont.

Oh look, you just repeated the point I made in my last post:

"We're talking about a ship in a video game. And for that matter, no one actually NEEDS it, even the people who get it through the referral program."

Good work!

I've never stated that those who get it through referrals need it any more than anyone else, children and heroin addicts included.

Their great, arent they? Sadly, yours have nothing to do with what we're discussing
I said "literary," not "literal." HUGE difference.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherPower
I said "literary," not "literal." HUGE difference.
There surely is, gold star for knowing that! Unfortunately for you, none of your analogies relate to this discussion, whether you mean them in a literary OR a literal sense. If you need more explanation, you tried to compare the majority of people who want the Gal-X added to the C-store to a group of children while comparing the minority of people who do not to parents. The reason that analogy fails is because parents make the ultimate decision regarding the wishes of their children, while the minority group who wants the Gal-X to remain "exclusive" has absolutely no deciding power(nor is any more mature than the other group, which is usually the case of parents).

The only way that analogy could make ANY sense if you were comparing ALL of the players(both those who want the Gal-X in the C-store and those who dont) to children, and Cryptic to the parents, since Cryptic is the one that makes the ultimate decision on this matter. However, Cryptic has already demonstrated their "parental" views: they will isten to what the majority of their "children" want. The only question at this point is how LONG it will be before the Gal-X makes its way into the C-store
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
06-24-2010, 12:24 PM
[quote=The.Grand.Nagus;2783423]If only we were discussing the subject of children and parents you might have a point. But since we arent, you dont.



Oh look, you just repeated the point I made in my last post:

"We're talking about a ship in a video game. And for that matter, no one actually NEEDS it, even the people who get it through the referral program."

Good work!
[quote]

Funny thing, you're the one who brought up the word "needs" to begin with. I don't recall making the argument that ANY of us need a Galaxy-X, referrals or otherwise. You're a lot of fun and all, but a basic reasoning course might help.

Anyhoo, I only commented to put in my two cents (which is about all it's worth, admittedly), not to pour compost into your Corn Flakes (there I go again with analogies that have nothing to do with anything literal).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
06-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There surely is, gold star for knowing that! Unfortunately for you, none of your analogies relate to this discussion, whether you mean them in a literary OR a literal sense. If you need more explanation, you tried to compare the majority of people who want the Gal-X added to the C-store to a group of children while comparing the minority of people who do not to parents. The reason that analogy fails is because parents make the ultimate decision regarding the wishes of their children, while the minority group who wants the Gal-X to remain "exclusive" has absolutely no deciding power(nor is any more mature than the other group, which is usually the case of parents).

The only way that analogy could make ANY sense if you were comparing ALL of the players(both those who want the Gal-X in the C-store and those who dont) to children, and Cryptic to the parents, since Cryptic is the one that makes the ultimate decision on this matter. However, Cryptic has already demonstrated their "parental" views: they will isten to what the majority of their "children" want. The only question at this point is how LONG it will be before the Gal-X makes its way into the C-store
Yeah, well, literary devices are like jokes....they work a lot better when you don't have to explain them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
06-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherPower
Yeah, well, literary devices are like jokes....they work a lot better when you don't have to explain them.
Very true, and like jokes they also only work when they make sense. Sadly, yours did not
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.