Lt. Commander
# 1 star trek task force
06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get flamed by the hardcores and the thugs on this game but I have to know. Why are a lot of people opposed to helping others out with the special task force missions. I've been RA5 since may and have yet to see infected or terradome. Please discuss. Also please keep this discussion thread civilized do not flame or stride of topic therefore making the gm have to come in and close the thread.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm no opposed.

I just attempt a run at The Cure once every few weeks - we usually have to wipe.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Best piece of advice I can give you, is to get into a Fleet and start running STF's with them. Cryptic has made some concessions with the STF's that cater to gameplay that requires a team to work together as a whole. Putting together a pick-up-group and simply running through the STF as if it were a normal mission is usually going to end in disaster and frustration, especially if people ignore their chat interface, as I've seen happen on several occasions!
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronoso1979 View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get flamed by the hardcores and the thugs on this game but I have to know. Why are a lot of people opposed to helping others out with the special task force missions. I've been RA5 since may and have yet to see infected or terradome. Please discuss. Also please keep this discussion thread civilized do not flame or stride of topic therefore making the gm have to come in and close the thread.
Not sure what your experience was that makes you say this? I know that many do not like to be blind invited into groups so if you have been doing that expecting someone to join you to do those then I would not be surprised. I also know that SOME people only will invite certain types of Captains to join their group. I do know that there are those that have not done any STF's but some people only want "experienced" captains for some reason (although I understand the argument the experience is better I don't agree that it should always apply in a game).

Anyway, I think you should be more specific as to what you are seeking or what the experience has been that you have not been able to do those STF's.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Completing an STF is one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences in STO right now. Unfortunately the casual player is completely unprepared for the transition from fun easy ground mission to tight knit coordinated group mission. Many players go into these STF's unaware of the scale up in difficulty or the need to work together as a team. They require strategy, tactics and above all else communication in order to complete. When I pop into an STF the first question I ask is always, "who hasn't been here before?" knowing that I'll have to tailor my gameplay accordingly.

Most experienced players are willing to teach new RA5's how to finish these STF's but so many times the new players seem unable to grasp the concepts put before them. It can get really, really frustrating to wipe a group over and over again because players keep charging forward, don't know how to jump or haven't learned the difference between single target damage and spray fire weapons. That's why you'll often see players looking for "experienced" or "vent/teamspeak only" groups. It's a case of justified elitism on their parts.

Advice for players entering STF'S:

1) Bring large hypo's. At least a stack of 20, preferably more in case you have to share. I've finished both the cure and infected many times without a healer along. They're nice to have but not a make or break factor.
2) tribbles give useful buffs. Learn which one you want, acquire one, equip and pet =P every little bit helps.
3) READ CHAT DURING COMBAT. You need to learn situational awareness. During these missions you not only have to keep your eye on your target, you need to watch chat for new instructions/strategy modifications. Being aware of your fellow players health bars and location in relation to you is also a good idea.
4) start doing the b'tran exploration daily to get some of that sweet purple badge gear. Cryptic's made it really easy to get nice epic weapons. Take advantage of that. There's no excuse for showing up in green's anymore =P

if anyone has any other advice, please post it as well =)
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronoso1979 View Post
In my experience, people sometimes get ****y if they have to wait for more than 5 minutes while the group forms. In a pug, I've recruited up to 4 people then the science officer drops and I'm getting sick of it. I'm in a fleet that usually runs the STF's from within and we all have vent, we all agree on how to roll for loot of all levels, it works out better this way.

For me I'm just better off not helping people outside of my fleet. I F'in hate pugs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
so what are the actual rewards by completing the special task forces? anything? what kind of actual progression is there?
Lt. Commander
# 8 STF's
06-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Well STF's are not like your normal 5 man instance. Also it only takes 1 to screw up many of them. The advice to get into a fleet is good advice. If you have game you will get to go in most fleets. We try and get everyone thru the STF's. Latly we are not getting the peeps on but that is just lack of stuff to do (Are you listening Cryptic). PUG.s are horrible in this game. Not All but most. I puged Infected on the day of release and that was an awsome group. But they are rare. Because of the difucalty of the instances and the time involved it is rare to find a fleet willing to take a pick up thru. that just seems to be the nature of the beast here. Again join a sizable fleet that runs STF's and see if you can make the cut 8)