Lt. Commander
# 1 Player Info - Accolade Score
06-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Cryptic should add a player's Accolade Score to their Info screen.

As I move through the STO universe, I love to click on people's Info. I like to see if people bother to write a Bio. Most don't BTW, but some do, and a few are brilliant! I find seeing their name, rank, ship type, etc. can be entertaining, if not informative.

Seeing other people's Accolade Score would allow me to congradulate those doing an exceptional job, perhaps I could help those with a low score, but mostly it would be so I could compare mine with other players.

I don't know really how good it is, but I'm proud of my score and would show it off (come to think of it, I'm going to add it to my signature). As of last night it's 4,765.

If you would like this added to the UI, please post below. And while you're at it, post your Accolade Score.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-27-2010, 07:39 PM
/support

I'm at work, so I can't see my Accolades points now, I'll edit the post and add my score later
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-28-2010, 05:36 AM
I do not want to have a gearscore/achievement equivalent added to STO just for bragging and epeen rights and potential abuse.

I am sick and tired of giving every player out there detailed information about what I did and when I did it. This is why we can hide our char profiles.

Is 4665 good enough for your highness? Would you consider grouping with someone below 4000? And when will persons with more points than me find a job or get a life?! Just to name some of the negative impacts. And all that for the desire to show off a little. I think there are ways to impress people without that.

I wish they would rather add some content than adding cheap content extenders like achievements and points for everything done for the x-th time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longasc
I do not want to have a gearscore/achievement equivalent added to STO just for bragging and epeen rights and potential abuse.

I am sick and tired of giving every player out there detailed information about what I did and when I did it. This is why we can hide our char profiles.

Is 4665 good enough for your highness? Would you consider grouping with someone below 4000? And when will persons with more points than me find a job or get a life?! Just to name some of the negative impacts. And all that for the desire to show off a little. I think there are ways to impress people without that.

I wish they would rather add some content than adding cheap content extenders like achievements and points for everything done for the x-th time.
But we already have a score/achievement in game with our Ranks/Levels. This is only an extension of that, I think, anyway. Oh, and I'm an MMO noob (this is my first), so I don't know, what are epeen rights?

Is 4665 good enough? I dunno. I don't know how to judge what is good/bad, as I don't know what's "average" or what other players have (which is why I'd like it displayed). I think it's pretty good, actually. Most people in my fleet that I've talked to are in the low 4k or below. I can see your concern that some "l33t" players might not want to play with a low scoring person. But I think those type of players would be the type to bail on a team or kick off the poor player mid-mission anyway once they saw their (lack of) performance (I know, it'd been done to me a time or two). Maybe it'd be better if they knew ahead of time? I dunno. But, you can't help that there will be a bad element in game.

I myself would have no problem playing with a sub-4k. For starters, I know the Accolade Score (AS) isn't necessarily based on a player's skill. Most of them are for repeating the same thing over and over, something even the basest of players can do. Also, as in my OP, I'm always willing to help people. If someone wants assistance in playing, I'd actually be more likely to help/team-up with a lower AS player. In fact, just yesterday I organized some PvP Ground games for people in my fleet so we could all improve each others' ground-based Accolades. It was a blast!

I'm sorry if I offended you, as it seemed like maybe I hit a nerve or something. That wasn't my point. As for someone like myself who I guess has more points than you (I'm assuming the 4665 is actually your score)... I do have a full time job and a life (I have a girlfriend, dog, and non-gaming friends I still see regularlly ). I just choose to aim my STO time towards something. I've done all the Missions (well, except most the STFs, too hard for me). I've done so many Daily Explores/PvPs that I'm all maxed out with purple/uncommon equipment. The introduction of the AS was great as it gave me something to work towards. So for these last few weeks that's what I do. I pick an Accolade and I do whatever it takes to complete it. Then do the next, etc. I'm not bragging here. I'm just explaining my playstyle. Sure, there's some pride in what I do (after all, if winning doesn't matter, why bother to keep score), but I'm here to have a good time more than anything else. And for me that's Achieving something.

I could not agree more that STO needs more content. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to S2. Unfortunately, I've been so "starved" for things to do, that I'll likely rush right through the half-dozen new missions (however many there are) in some too short time, and be back wiht nada to do. I disagree with the Accolades being a cheap extender, I think they were a great addition. I wish we could wear the ribbons/medals that we see in the Accolade screen. Some kind of formal Admiral Jacket with a color rack would be awesome. I also like that it's a way to unlock fun titles, minor (but neat!) passive powers, and who knows what all else they could add. And making an existing stat visible, I shouldn't think would be too difficult, or take too much time away from any programmer's other work. So I don't think that's an issue.

I'm sorry we disagree about the AS, but I thank you for your input/opinion Longasc.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-28-2010, 01:07 PM
If I had never played WoW, then some of these things would not concern me as much as they do.
Achievement linking for WoW should have been a harmless addition to the game, but it became overly abused.

Same with gearscores/gearchecking and dps reading addons those were another couple of items that blizzard allowed into their game and it pretty much ruined a lot of the fun and in my case it drove me away from that game.

The problem was a lot became way too obsessed with those tools and what should have just been for raiding and personal improvement spilled over into the reg runs making everything some sort of a contest and something to hammer people with when those people did not measure up to someone else's personal standards of what a "Good" player should be.

Achievements became the new "you must be this tall to be on this ride" thing and because of that a lot of people were denied content over it, content that they paid money for and content that should have come down to skill being the determining factor of you being able to go, not an achievement.
Achievement linking turned into what amounts to skill checking the player.
To see if the player had experience with a certain area of the game, the problem is, it is not really all that representative of the player's true skill and more than anything it keeps a lot of players from seeing content.

I like earning achievements, it gives me a sense of accomplishement/something to work on, but if they ever become a tool that keeps people from seeing content rather than the person's own skill being the deciding factor then my head would probably explode lol.

I know you are talking about accolade score here, but to me achievement linking and accolade scores are not too far apart, same goes for gear scores and the like.

I don't mind displaying medals on a uniform and having titles to show off, but things that border on achievement linking and addons that can be abused I do tend to get very apprehensive due to prior experiences, just because I have seen what can happen when those things are taken too far.

Sorry if any of this sounded over the top in any sort of way, was just trying to put some things into perspective about some concerns that I personally have over being able to see what other people have been working on.

Will get you my score next time I log in, I do not remember it off the top of my head.
Edit: Score is about 3570 at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I would like to second Nikka33.

I played many MMOs and other online games, and achievement systems always started out nice and lovely.

Then either game mechanics and/or the game community manage to turn them into something horrible.
A lot of the affected games are no longer played by the gamers - rather the gamers are played by their "to-do" achievement lists. This happens when they become requirements and/or offer benefits, regardless how tiny they are.

I think STO already borrowed enough flawed design elements from other MMOs and managed to implement them even worse, so I would appreciate if they would at least here take care.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikka33 View Post
...I don't mind displaying medals on a uniform and having titles to show off, but things that border on achievement linking and addons that can be abused I do tend to get very apprehensive due to prior experiences

...Score is about 3570 at the moment.
Sorry, I don't know what is Achievement linking? I assume from your post it's something similar to an accolade system, but instead of unlocking small/minor passive bonuses and titles, it's actually something that unlocks parts of the game. Is this correct? If so, is it similar to how one must complete the Infected SDF in order to play the Cure SDF, and those two to run the KA SDF? Is that Achivement linking?

You're ok with medals on uniforms. Would you be ok if your Accolade Score were visible in your "Info" screen that other player's can click on? Next to your character's full name, rank, profession, ship type/title, race, etc they add a line for "Accolade Score"? Is that ok too?

Because that's all I'm asking for in this thread.

I can see the slipper slope you're talking about. If you're worried that a player who can't perform tasks ABC won't be able to play missions XYZ. But it's here already, in the SDFs at least, as I mention above.

If they keep it to a very small number of missions, then I'm sort of "ok" with it, in that I'm not raising to much of a fuss. I would prefer that Cryptic make changes though, and I have "signed" several such threads. Either reduce the overall difficulty of the SDFs, or better yet actually apply the Difficulty Slider so the "l33ts" can have their challenge too. And/or allow some NPC BOs in there so we don't *need* five players... That sort of thing. But I actually *like* the idea of having to finish one mission/story before going to another *in some situations* like these 2-3 linked SDFs. It just hurts more because there's so little else to do right now. And should they go too far and put great rewards there that are otherwise unattainable >heh< Well then, honestly? I'll likely get jeaouls and whine wanting them too. LOL

Anywho, that's going a bit off topic. Thanks Nikka33 for the input. I didn't realize there was such deep conversation to be had about this. I appreciate you sharing your score with us, too!
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Sorry, I don't know what is Achievement linking? I assume from your post it's something similar to an accolade system, but instead of unlocking small/minor passive bonuses and titles, it's actually something that unlocks parts of the game. Is this correct? If so, is it similar to how one must complete the Infected SDF in order to play the Cure SDF, and those two to run the KA SDF? Is that Achivement linking?
Achievement linking is like linking gear in chat or dropping a link to a web page for people to click on that takes them to some website.
In the case of achievement linking, it is a clickable link in the chatbox that displays info about an achievement such as what the achievement was for.

Accolades are the same things as achievements in WoW for the most part with some minor differences.

Example:
A player gets an accolade for not dying in the infected STF, In WoW it would something similar to the "Undying" achievement, if said player chose to he/she could link that accolade/achievement in chat and people could click on it to see where he/she got it and how he/she got it as well.

My issue with accolade score is the same as the issue with skill checking players through accolades and achievements in that a player's worth can potentially be watered down to some score and not their true skill in the game.
When you start allowing a person's skill to be boiled down to a score you start running into players being denied access to content by group leaders who do not think you measure up because you are 500 pts off on your score (Maybe not exactly 500 pts), regardless of how good you are, if they don't like your score you are toast.

On my answer, which I should of noted earlier my apologies there, is no on score displays, if people want to share their score that is fine, but nothing beyond them typing their score out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for explaining Achievement linking and your opinon on not wanting the score visible. That's cool.

I would still like to see the score displayed.

Anyone else have an opinion on displaying a player's Accolade Score?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-29-2010, 01:46 AM
/signed

ye this is a fair idea, just to beable to see anothers total score when checkin out the toons info would be nice.
(current score in my sig)