Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
Because this would be so much more terrible than everyone running around as a cat in a mirror universe uniform, right?

Besides, it'd only last a week or two, and then there'd be a different flavor next month.
Ignoring the other 2 points. Good to have a balanced discussion with you. Or are you intentionally ignoring the obvious link to the point above it?

A lack of variety and individuality in a game like this is a major issue. A lot more people have left than Cryptic would like to admit and for various reasons and killing the game for the RP community throgh lack of variety would drive off a fair amount of the remaining subscriptions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsrage View Post
Tell you the Truth the LB is nothing to write home about... The Real Borg would get my Vote.
yeah, I am personally SO against the idea of players being able to be Borg. That is such an utterly ridiculous idea. It makes no sense what so ever when considering what the Borg are and how the Borg work. If players could be Borg only one player at a time should ever be allowed to be Borg. See, Borg as a word is not even plural. It is singular... one contiguous mind, essentially one entity. In order for an individual to manifest within the collective the individual must be separated from the Borg in some way. At teh point of separation the individual ceases being part of the collective. Individuals can never be part of the collective.

player Borg = one player should ever be Borg at any given time.

See, THAT could be fun! That will never happen.

Actually I really like the Idea of Cryptic staff being the Borg. There is a whole hell of a lot of sense in that. So, If you want to be Borg get a job at Cryptic
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
Meh... if you really want it you can have it as far as I am concened. It isn't really that useful.
Same here. I sometimes wish I could see the faces of the people who whined, cried, stomped their feet and held their breath in protest over wanting these "exclusives" so desperately, then bought them in the C-Store... and found they really aren't all that great. LOL! :p

I honestly hope it does go into the C-Store so people will stop the endless whining over it here on the forums.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeMongulator
Ignoring the other 2 points. Good to have a balanced discussion with you. Or are you intentionally ignoring the obvious link to the point above it?

A lack of variety and individuality in a game like this is a major issue. A lot more people have left than Cryptic would like to admit and for various reasons and killing the game for the RP community throgh lack of variety would drive off a fair amount of the remaining subscriptions.
Actually, I've commented on the other two points in other posts in this and other threads, and I get bored making the exact same post over and over again.

In general, I agree that customization and individuality are a good thing, and attract players...

...however we have the 800lbs. gorilla in the room, WoW, where there's no real customization whatsoever and everyone looks identical, and is still the most popular MMO around to contend with.

So while I agree that I, and most people I know, prefer more customization to less...it certainly isn't game-breaking for an MMO. As I said in my second point, which you chose not to respond to, whatever gets released by Cryptic becomes the flavor of the month, and yes, everyone does it, but if you wait a few weeks, you'll see it dwindle.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
06-25-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm a pre-order lifer beta tester. I say put everything in the C-Store (Liberated Borg, Red Matter, Original TOS Ship, and whatever else is out there). As a preorder lifer player, I paid for these items out of my own pocket and so will anyone who buys them thru the C-Store. We all are putting up money so I have no problem with others having the same exclusive items I have. Exclusive does not mean forever. Cryptic will make money by doing this and I will support that, because in the end it will make the game better and last longer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
06-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeMongulator
A lack of variety and individuality in a game like this is a major issue. A lot more people have left than Cryptic would like to admit and for various reasons and killing the game for the RP community throgh lack of variety would drive off a fair amount of the remaining subscriptions.
How is opening up more customization options to people killing variety and individuality? You may want to reword your argument, that sounds downright silly.

What I suspect you meant was that you're afraid uncreative people will make uncreative characters with those options. Well guess what, they already are and they're running through your precious stardocks and planets. RP isn't the main focus of this game and many people play it for other reasons. If you and your RP community can't cope, tough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
06-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBiohazard
How is opening up more customization options to people killing variety and individuality? You may want to reword your argument, that sounds downright silly.

What I suspect you meant was that you're afraid uncreative people will make uncreative characters with those options. Well guess what, they already are and they're running through your precious stardocks and planets. RP isn't the main focus of this game and many people play it for other reasons. If you and your RP community can't cope, tough.
Everyone using the same in vogue items will kill variety and individuality but never mind that, thats just downright silly!

Secondly I don't RP so that isn't the issue however thanks for your obviously blinkered and short sighted criticism. Now, engaging a minimal of higher brain fuction let's examine STO. Record subs then record churn, estimated 90% subscription losses and a lot of the present player base being RP and generally the most loyal what do you think will happen when they leave?

I am more concerned about the game than the RP community but if it makes you feel big to slam entire communities on the internet go for it. Personally, while I don't enjoy getting that absorbed in this game, they make a valuable contribution to keeping the game alive and one we can hardly afford to drive away and already the lack of originality in many players is self evident in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
whatever gets released by Cryptic becomes the flavor of the month, and yes, everyone does it, but if you wait a few weeks, you'll see it dwindle.
This however is a good point although given the number of people wanting to be LB I am not so sure of it's short duration.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Why should the devs spend any time making any new "exclusive" items? Every single time they do, the forums melt down with people demanding access to whatever item it is....and they always say it's unfair that they don't have access to these things.....but...fairness goes both ways....how is it fair that those of us who have said items, who did what was asked of us to get these items, just have to watch as the things that we earned are suddenly being sold..because some people complained they didn't have the same shinies we do.

I have watched while all the pre-order items, CE items and most of the LT perks have gone up for sale, without complaining....but I have to say....at some point, Cryptic should put their foot down...tell the people who didn't do what was required to get the shiny that they cannot have it....otherwise, there's no point in ever making any new shinies....because at this point I imagine it would be more of a headache.

The people who DID NOT EARN ANYTHING gripe and complain till they get it..
then the people who DID WHAT WAS REQUIRED to get it complain that it isn't exclusive anymore

Kobayashi Maru.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda5221979 View Post
Why should the devs spend any time making any new "exclusive" items? Every single time they do, the forums melt down with people demanding access to whatever item it is....and they always say it's unfair that they don't have access to these things.....but...fairness goes both ways....how is it fair that those of us who have said items, who did what was asked of us to get these items, just have to watch as the things that we earned are suddenly being sold..because some people complained they didn't have the same shinies we do.

I have watched while all the pre-order items, CE items and most of the LT perks have gone up for sale, without complaining....but I have to say....at some point, Cryptic should put their foot down...tell the people who didn't do what was required to get the shiny that they cannot have it....otherwise, there's no point in ever making any new shinies....because at this point I imagine it would be more of a headache.

The people who DID NOT EARN ANYTHING gripe and complain till they get it..
then the people who DID WHAT WAS REQUIRED to get it complain that it isn't exclusive anymore

Kobayashi Maru.....
Spending money is not earning anything to begin with.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Spending money is not earning anything to begin with.
in most of these cases you are correct...it only took some cash to get said items. I cannot argue that, however in the case of the Galaxy - X people were "supposed" to recruit their friends. True some people did just buy new accounts, but the original intent was for people to "work" for it. Personally I do not want the ship cause I think it's ugly and I always have.

My point is, why should the dev team make any effort to create new items when all they get is grief?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 PM.