Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenn View Post
Everyone who did the "hard" work got an acceptable Reward (6000CP, the Ship, The Doc, an Tribble, Titles and some Friends)
Everyone who decided to follow the quick, easy and dirty way got EXACTLY what they deserved.
To a point I agree with this. some things are a little askew, but not horribly so. What I totally agree with is that the people who went out and bought the 5 boxes and then paid the one month sub for each just to get the Galaxy-X did get what they deserve. They chose to ignore the spirit of the referral system and go by the letter of it.

Ironically cryptic is guilty of the exact same thing on other counts, but that has been discussed at length in other threads.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxx View Post
You have no idea how much time you have to spent to bring 5 new subscribers to the game.
Oh yes I do.

Quote:
I tell you what: If the ships costs 100$ in C-store and I would have known this eight weeks ago, I would have waited and easily paid the money instead of doing this bunch of work.

I had to do promotions, ingame-support, newbie-help and answer endless mails and PNs about the game. I had about 20 players at the same in my referal account, and only 6 bought the game and subscribed so I got the ship.

I spent hunderts of hours of free time to succeed. 100$ are peanuts compared to this. And you ask me what I lost? I lost nothing. But Cryptic has lost all of their reputation by this huge scamming of their promoters. I will never ever trust them again.

They billed 4000 CP at my account as compensation. They should put their CP to a place where the sun never shines. I don't need their CP... and there's nothing of interest in their C-Store.
Right, so what you're saying here is this: you participated in this program for entirely the wrong reason and completely misunderstood what the intent of it is.

The intent is to invite 5 friends. Yes, it says "friends or family" on the Referral Page. The input box you use on the referral invite form in your account area says "Friend's Email". Cryptic wasn't asking or demanding you to go out and sell the game to complete strangers for them. They were asking you to invite your friends. Sure, you inviting 5 or more friends helps them out... that's why they added a few incentives for you to participate.

I ask you this - is spending time with your friends like work? Is it that much of a chore to hang out with them? I would hope not.

The real reward for having 5 friends play STO with you is that you now have 5 or more friends spending time together and enjoying the game together. The ship or any other incentive is meaningless compared to that.

After reading your post, I wouldn't think anyone would want to have been referred by you, since it seems to be a "chore" to help them with questions or support in-game. You're essentially treating others as mules for something you want. You went about participating in the program for the wrong reasons. Would you have done it the intended reasons, the ship being in the C-Store wouldn't matter to you at all.

Quote:
They are scammers and liars. Plain and simple.
How? Show us where you were scammed and lied to.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenn View Post
Everyone who did the "hard" work got an acceptable Reward (6000CP, the Ship, The Doc, an Tribble, Titles and some Friends)
I suggest you recruit five new players buying the retail and subscribe the game by yourself. THEN come back and if you still think, a non-exlusive free c-store item and 4000 allmost useless CP are enough credit for your work, I will agree to your post.

For now, it means nothing because you have no idea what you are talking about when you write "hard" work.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
The intent is to invite 5 friends. Yes, it says "friends or family" on the Referral Page.
If this is the intention, there would be no need of an exclusive reward. Cryptic placed this ship there to get us motivated to promote their game. Without this reward, it would not have been such a success. Especially with the worst limited trail demo I've ever seen in an MMO. It was pretty hard to describe the new players what STO is really like, because the tutorial and one mission isn't enough to show you the game.

So, IF you are right and I did this with the wrong intention, why was there an exclusive reward?

You cann't place a carrot in front of a hourse to make it run, then give one to every horse and finally tell the working one his motivation to run should not have been the carrot.

So, Cryptic made me promoting their game by offering a special reward.
Now Cryptic made me "promoting" this huge betrayal.
And I swear, my intention ist EXACTLY the right one this time...

I brought six friends to the game.
Cryptic cheated me as a "thanks" to this.

No I will thank them my way.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
So, IF you are right and I did this with the wrong intention, why was there an exclusive reward?
As a small incentive and a way to say "Thank You" for bringing your friends into STO with you.

No brainer there.

Quote:
So, Cryptic made me promoting their game by offering a special reward.
Cryptic didn't make or force you to do anything. You chose to participate because you wanted some pixels on a screen in a video game because that's what you deemed important. Would your intention have been to recruit 5 friends because you'd like to play together with them, then getting the ship is just a bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
As a small incentive and a way to say "Thank You" for bringing your friends into STO with you..
And this "Thank you" is one of the most wanted ship models since eary beta? Dream on... it was a calculated CARROT.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
And this "Thank you" is one of the most wanted ship models since eary beta?
For some, not everyone. There are those who really don't want it.

Quote:
Dream on... it was a calculated CARROT.
I did say it was an incentive to participate in the program. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

Where you fail is in thinking that the ship is the one and only, end all be all carrot when it isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
It is very likely that this has wrecked the idea of vendor-specific and pre-order bonus in-game items for the entire industry. I for one will be quite pleased if that were the case, I find it to be a disgusting business practice.

I do think that Atari marketing has contributed to wrecking any hope Cryptic has for future promotions (not to mention Cryptic's reputation) and possibly for many other companies as well. Now nobody will be certain if this special little shiny or gewgaw or doodad or whateever -- in this game or others -- will never be available any other way. There will always be an iota of doubt. Cryptic likely will not (or should not) use shiny in-game items for promotions or programs again. They will probably rely on CP and free time awards (like most games do.)

Unless they put C-Points on the C-Store. The causality paradox would make Stephen Hawking weep. Please, think of the Stephen Hawkings.
To remove that uncertainty, I think their best move is to make it public that that the exclusivity is only true for a limited amount of time. This way everyone "armed" with the knowledge - he can wait the time or he participates in the promotion program. No one can complain about being scammed or betrayed.

And the reality will probably always be that Cryptic cannot offer "exclusive" items that are exclusive forever. Players will alway ask for another access that doesn't require them to run through promotions hoops (that might not even longer exist - pre-orders can't be done once the game is out...)
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
To remove that uncertainty, I think their best move is to make it public that that the exclusivity is only true for a limited amount of time.
Exclusivity by any definition does not mean forever, unless expressly stated so otherwise. That should not come as a surprise to anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
I suggest you recruit five new players buying the retail and subscribe the game by yourself. THEN come back and if you still think, a non-exlusive free c-store item and 6000 allmost useless CP are enough credit for your work, I will agree to your post.

For now, it means nothing because you have no idea what you are talking about when you write "hard" work.
/fixed

Haven't bought any extra retails apart from my CE and DDE but i've recruited so far 2.5 Players, one day i'll get my non-exclusive free c-store item minus the 4000 CP's and it's ok.

I currently have no use for the cruiser since i'm tactical but maybe i will use it on my liberated borg when they are up for sale.
Closed Thread