Lt. Commander
# 61
06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
And that's a very sad fact indeed. Games aren't about fun or entertainment anymore. They have devolved into hoarding virtual items to make the person feel special.
If its so sad, why were people so upset that the G-x and all the other items not being offered in the c-store. While I'm at it, why do you pay for pixels? It maters to a lot of people. MMOs are nothing but pixels on a screen yet people pay a monthly fee to play, purchase c-store items and earn rewards. Rewards are part of ALL MMOs and finding the proper way to get them also applies even if that's a promotion being offered outside of game play.

Why do missions for items? Place them all on the c-store. Why bother with any variation at all. Make all ships, costumes, races and weapons look exactly the same. Its only pixels right? They don't mater at all.

Let me ask you this. If you purchased a LTS, would you be bothered if they started offering the game for free? Would $50 in c-store points make it all o.k.?

This also has nothing to do with "playing" the game. It has to do with the way Cryptic has handled the issue. Does a company need values, ethics and integrity to do business? No. Do businesses without those qualities thrive? We'll see.
Lt. Commander
# 62
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
So, when will this civil suit be happening? I don't want to be a part of it; I just like to know when people are wasting the time of their respective courts system.

(Plus, if someone could film the judge laughing them out of court, that would be sweet as well.)
Lt. Commander
# 63
06-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
So, when will this civil suit be happening? I don't want to be a part of it; I just like to know when people are wasting the time of their respective courts system.

(Plus, if someone could film the judge laughing them out of court, that would be sweet as well.)
seriously when are you going to sue them.... ( I will bring the popcorn. )
Lt. Commander
# 64
06-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
seriously when are you going to sue them.... ( I will bring the popcorn. )
How are they going to sue? They spent all their money on copies of STO so they have nothing to give the lawyer.
Lt. Commander
# 65
06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
How are they going to sue? They spent all their money on copies of STO so they have nothing to give the lawyer.
oh snap....

well I do feel bad for them, so I have a GIFT for them.
Lt. Commander
# 66
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
oh snap....

well I do feel bad for them, so I have a GIFT for them.
Wow, the first W.A.Y. video I ever sat through to the end. It was funny this time.
Lt. Commander
# 67
06-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
In a criminal court, you'd have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the defendant is guilty. However this is a matter for civil court, where you only have to show that the wording of the advertising was misleading and could influence people into making purchases under false pretenses. Ultimately this means that all your weasel wording doesn't work in a civil court. Get it? Got it? Good!

I for one encourage legal avenues about this. Cryptic's getting too big for their britches here.
Actually you are so off base it isn't even funny. The use of "exclusives" is an established marketing practice. It has been used in other industries including this one. There was nothing misleading about this or the COLTS. However, nice try.

I encourage you to pursue this in a court as maybe it would teach folks a lesson. As far as weasel working doesn't work in court... who do you think invented weasel wording. There was no false pretense. No false advertising.
Lt. Commander
# 68
06-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
What's sad is that these "recruiters" seem to covet pixels in a videogame more than they do the enjoyment of playing with friends. They'd rather have a silly ship in a video game over spending in-game time playing with friends.

Just think about it. Very, very sad indeed. I feel sorry for these people.
And on top of that, many of these people are the ones complaining about how the heavy instancing ruins that feeling of being in-game with others.

It's getting almost to the point where I'm starting to hate MMOs in general because of all the complainers suffering from delusions of entitlement when the terms they agreed to from the very beginning pretty much state that everything is subject to change with or without warning.

At least Cryptic has been giving us a heads-up before making changes like this.

When we agree to the terms, we are saying, "Yes, Cryptic. We acknowledge that you have the sole right to change or discontinue any or all of the features and/or services of Star Trek Online, and accept the fact that this will likely happen. We also understand that if we disagree with any changes or cancellations, our sole recource is that we may cancel our subscription at any time. And we also understand that should we opt for a lifetime subscription, we do so with the understanding that things may and likely will change and that there is a good chance that we may not like said change, so by purchasing a lifetime subscription, we do so based on the state the game is in at this point in spite of the probability that it may change."

Cryptic has not made us do one single thing that we didn't want to do, for whatever reason we wanted to do it.

I would like to suggest that the Terms be displayed and require an agreement every time we log in to play.
Lt. Commander
# 69
06-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I would like to suggest that the Terms be displayed and require an agreement every time we log in to play.
I totally agree with your post, CaptainQuirk, except this sentence I've quoted. I wouldn't want to have to click "I Agree" (or even scroll down to the bottom, then pick "I Agree" like Eve makes you do whenever they have an update) every time I want to log in to play simply because some people can't be bothered to read the ToS and EULA before they agree to it the first time.

(I'm not meaning this as a dig at you, by any means. I've come to respect you and your posts; I simply disagree with your suggestion. Like I said, though, the rest of your post is spot on, in my opinion.)
Closed Thread