Lt. Commander
Hi Just think of a possible development for BO and player characters, for a later season perhaps. A nother way to spend spare skill points,

With ship interiors almost here, I wonder if there are crew quarters if so it would be great if u walked past an open door and saw one of your bridge officers doing a hobby of some sort, painting playing an instrument etc. or in a holo deck (if and when we have them)

it could be a use of spare skill points, reaching the max would increase the quality of their hobby, e.g. a musical bridge officer would sound awful at level 1, ok at level 5 and amazing at level 10,

Points could be spent once per character, per day. So no instant creative genius,
It could be set at 3 different hobbies max.
Each B/O could come with a natural talent, a hobby that starts at level 5; there could be 3 groups,
First hobby/pursuit group that is related to the player or BO's race and career,
2nd a cultural pursuit, musical painting, working out, from either same race or another,
3rd an alternative career interest, such as being a mechanic, or some basic medical or self defence,

Reaching a max level could grant slight increase, BO that enjoys jogging around the ship, could run faster or run faster for few seconds more, a BO with interest in mechanics or something similar could grant a slight increase in ship repair rate. Even grant say a level 1 power for training in from another career path.

Some hobbies could stack 2 as in two different hand to hand hobbies could double the benefit if they the same.

An interesting idea is that skill points could drain in time if not topped up. (Lack of practice) it could drop as far back as level 5.

So feel free to comment and suggest hobbies and past time interests that could prove useful to a star ship crew, some hobbies could be for fun only,) have no effect, just something fun to try.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-27-2010, 02:43 AM
I love the idea of seeing Bridge Officers doing something that isn't pressing buttons on a console. I think, however, that a hobby or something is the kind of thing they should develop on their own. You'd be able to see their progress, but they would have to practice individually rather than you spending their skill points.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
i wonder why my bo's would leave their doors open....
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
I think it would be nice to be able to spar with one of my bridge officers in the ship's gym or where-ever, or take a couple of folks to the holodeck and try out different weapon and shield configs.

Just a thought.

Oh, and giving bridge officers the ability to look for hostages, activate consoles, conduct a tricorder scan for specific things and DO something other than follow me around and shoot stuff would be great too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
My Klnk officers can work in the galley cleaning Gagh from the floors... Bloodwine makes em soft.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
i wonder why my bo's would leave their doors open....
hehe i know why your sweet borg BO lets her quarters closed
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS_Indomitable

So feel free to comment and suggest hobbies and past time interests that could prove useful to a star ship crew, some hobbies could be for fun only,) have no effect, just something fun to try.
Euh... Mine are actually building a really cool mini space ship, about twice the size of a normal shuttle. I wrote out their adventures in my fleets rp forum.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm leery of turning this into the SIMS. But then again, I would like to feel like my BOs are more alive than they are. It would be nice to set up some kind of 'preferences' for off duty activities for them, or just let it be randomized.

Until then, though, that's what captains logs and your imagination are for!

Captain's personal log:

I stumbled upon ensign Halstead and Commander Three of Eight together in the galley. I decided not to eat lunch today, and ordered that the galley be sanitized before more food is prepared. I know most use the replicators for their meals, but it just doesn't taste the same to me.

I later passed Lieutenant Milton in the corridor dressed in the strange racing costume of a 20th century race car driver. He was headed to the holodeck as usual.

I also received a report that Ensign Yirrta was found passed out in a jeffries tube wearing a helmet from an environmental suit, and reeked of synthale. I couldn't help but laugh, which is wrong, but her species seems to have such poor reactions to the stuff, and she takes it with such stride and humor that its hard not to enjoy the odd predicaments her drinking puts her in. I will assign her to clean the galley, since she was late for her shift.