Originally Posted by ericajoanne View Post
I love the police. Police are hot.
But of course....
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Shut up. You resist, you get maced in the face, I laugh.
What a well trained little authority worshipping drone you are.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-28-2010, 04:02 AM
You can love them all you want.

I see them as a group of more or less bullies that in some cases even delight in ruining the fun of others, even if it is legal. Some go as far as to just not listen and decide to use their own interpretation of events based on either prejudice or arrogance. Others just act like they are some kind of gods, talking like they have the right to lecture other just because they went through law school and have a shiny piece of metal on their chests. In my town most are about as crooked as humanly possibly, that coming from a friend who used to be one and left when it got to the point where merely listening to the others nauseated him.

Add to that having to deal with them at accident scenes with the Fire Department I got right sick of dealing with them and the attitude they all have. I was trying to medic an accident victim over the summer and one gave me a riot act about moving the victim or doing anything to disturb the scene before he got his statement and tried to figure the cause of the accident. He was so insistent I had to radio my captain to get him off me so I could try and get the poor guy's bleeding under control. Funny too considering that he committed a crime in doing that, Interfering and or Harassing a Firefighter on a scene is a big offense. Considering life-saving efforts come before investigations that one dropped my jaw, and it was even a State Cop.

Another thing that annoys me about them is the mentality (not many of you may know about this unless you are in Emergency Services) but there is a long standing stigma that Police and Firefighters cannot interact on our Radios, going to the others frequency is considered one of our Deadly Sins. This of course leads to any number of complications up to and including the willful withholding of potentially life-saving information. In most cases this is a choice made at the time, most places know of have no on-the-book regulation regarding this Radio "Etiquette"

The moral of the story:
I. Dislike. Cops.

Oh, and as for the whole resisting them thing. I may hate them but if I did something and am caught dead to rights I fess up and go quietly, it goes A LOT better in the long run if you do (usually). However if I am getting set up or if one is being a jerk intentionally he'll at the least be getting chewed out about my "Viewpoint" of his profession.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-28-2010, 04:11 AM
I still set off a silent alarm in a police car when I was 7 or so. Every police nearby came.

Sometimes being the kid of a cop is fun.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-28-2010, 04:42 AM
My friend up the road their dad is a cop

Turns out kids of cops are always the most mischevious

I'm only slightly mischevious as only my Uncles family is in the Police force and my dad's cousin is a Prison Warden.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-28-2010, 05:12 AM
I wasn't going to dignify this thread with a response, but after some of the responses I'm seeing...

Listen, here's the bottom line. Cops are humans. They're prone to mistakes just like you or me. They're prone to greed and cruelty. But here's the thing. They're the lesser of two evils. Would you rather your town be run by cops or criminals? I'd pick cops, even corrupt ones, every time.

Unless your town IS run by criminals, in which case, hate the criminals, not the cops.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I wasn't going to dignify this thread with a response, but after some of the responses I'm seeing...

Listen, here's the bottom line. Cops are humans. They're prone to mistakes just like you or me. They're prone to greed and cruelty. But here's the thing. They're the lesser of two evils. Would you rather your town be run by cops or criminals? I'd pick cops, even corrupt ones, every time.

Unless your town IS run by criminals, in which case, hate the criminals, not the cops.

I agree. I've never even had any problems with any authorities.

So far they've done a great job at helping me and my family, too.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-28-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
My friend up the road their dad is a cop

Turns out kids of cops are always the most mischevious

I'm only slightly mischevious as only my Uncles family is in the Police force and my dad's cousin is a Prison Warden.
I am not...

Besides... Swedish cops aren't half bad. *hopes nobody reads any kind of news from Sweden* *cough cough*
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-28-2010, 05:40 AM
I live in an area were Officers have been prosecuted for selling alchohol to and soliciting sex from underaged girls, Stealing $40,000 from an evidence locker, and breaking the neck of a 65 year old man in handcuffs. This has all just been in the last year. All were found guilty but suffered no real penelties. Counciling, suspensions, And being fired but not one loosing thier Licence to be police officers.

The Problem I have with police: is that they are so protected from the consequences of thier own actions that they are no longer Beholden to the same laws, as the rest of society.

I know not all police are like this.... but In driving a taxi i've seen them be criminal first hand.
I'ts taught me that I should have faith in an orginized authority that can do what they want without fear of reprisals.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Spade
I live in an area were Officers have been prosecuted for selling alchohol to and soliciting sex from underaged girls, Stealing $40,000 from an evidence locker, and breaking the neck of a 65 year old man in handcuffs. This has all just been in the last year. All were found guilty but suffered no real penelties. Counciling, suspensions, And being fired but not one loosing thier Licence to be police officers.

The Problem I have with police: is that they are so protected from the consequences of thier own actions that they are no longer Beholden to the same laws, as the rest of society.

I know not all police are like this.... but In driving a taxi i've seen them be criminal first hand.
I'ts taught me that I should have faith in an orginized authority that can do what they want without fear of reprisals.
Sounds like you live in Chicago.