Lt. Commander
# 21
06-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Just in coquille oregon a few miles from my home. They story is the same weather the town is small or large tho. And not just in america. When I used to make trips into mexico from sandiego I watched mexican cops shake down tourists like roadside bandits.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Spade
Just in coquille oregon a few miles from my home. They story is the same weather the town is small or large tho. And not just in america. When I used to make trips into mexico from sandiego I watched mexican cops shake down tourists like roadside bandits.
Yeah, when I was at A School in San Diego, they told us, "If a Mexican cop wants to stop you, try to make it to the border before they get you down."
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-28-2010, 04:56 AM
I worled for a delivery company. We actually made customers pay a 15% Exportation (Bribery) charge. We'd send money orders to the mexi-police to leave our trucks alone during deliveries.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
I am not...
Besides... Swedish cops aren't half bad. *hopes nobody reads any kind of news from Sweden* *cough cough*
dear lord man. what part of sweden are you from? norrland? the day you cross paths with a cop from södertälje (aka Green-zone) or a civilian from the stockholm district you'll change your mind.

BTW: you dont happen to be a "real" swede do you? cause that would explain lot. cause i happened to commit the two deadliest sins around here. i'm 17 and i have a foreign background. it doesnt really matter that i was born here...
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I wasn't going to dignify this thread with a response, but after some of the responses I'm seeing...

Listen, here's the bottom line. Cops are humans. They're prone to mistakes just like you or me. They're prone to greed and cruelty. But here's the thing. They're the lesser of two evils. Would you rather your town be run by cops or criminals? I'd pick cops, even corrupt ones, every time.

Unless your town IS run by criminals, in which case, hate the criminals, not the cops.
Exactly. Without a police force society would degenerate into anarchy. I know there are some people in favour of anarchy, but all the anarchists I've ever met lived in the burbs with their parents, and wouldn't last 1 day if society crumbled and anarchy truly rained. They'd be dog meat.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Other than the 1 dealing with rivalry between the fire and police departments, most of the complaints about the police on this thread seem to back up my original suggestion "Those that feel powerless often resent those they see as powerful" found at the bottom of the first page.

I have nothing against police in general they are people just like anybody else, there are good ones and there are bad ones, most are good and try hard and their failings usually have to do with too broad a responsibility with too few resources.

My interactions with the police have for the most part been amusing to me. Most of the time they call for back-up
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban_Lewis
Exactly. Without a police force society would degenerate into anarchy. I know there are some people in favour of anarchy, but all the anarchists I've ever met lived in the burbs with their parents, and wouldn't last 1 day if society crumbled and anarchy truly rained. They'd be dog meat.
Besides, if you had to do their job you'd probably turn pretty bitter and sociopathic too. Even the good ones do a largely thankless job. They're constantly putting themselves in danger in order to protect civilians who turn around and thumb their noses at them.

It's like when you take a dog to the vet and it doesn't understand that the shots the vet has to give it are actually keeping it healthy.

People who hate cops without a good reason have the intelligence of a dog.

Now, if you have a good reason to dislike cops, that's a different matter entirely, and I've heard several first-hand examples here that would make me hate them too. So I'm not aiming that comment at you guys.

I'm aiming it at the dumbass suburbanite potheads who "hate cops" because they got busted smoking weed in their car with a few of their buddies, got a slap on the wrist, and got sent home. I know a few people like that.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban_Lewis
Exactly. That is why I so want to set up a paintball machine gun and open fire on those violent demonstrators at places like the G-20 conference. And then finish it off with a PA announcement of 'If it weren't for the police, those could have been real bullets. Respect the police. They protect you from the really dangerous people you sociopathic hippies!' and see how they react.

Would probably throw a molotov at me.

Moral of the story: In an area with a a morally upstanding police department, don't break the law and the police won't bother you. If you act like a bunch of terrorists or break the law, the cops will mess with you. It's your actions that cause the police to do what they do.

Now if you are in an area with a morally bankrupt police department, you should lobby your elected officials to investigate or bring forth legislation to increase the oversight and monitoring of the police.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Exactly. That is why I so want to set up a paintball machine gun and open fire on those violent demonstrators at places like the G-20 conference. And then finish it off with a PA announcement of 'If it weren't for the police, those could have been real bullets. Respect the police. They protect you from the really dangerous people you sociopathic hippies!' and see how they react.
This isn't a bad idea.

I'll buy the paintball guns and paintballs!
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post

Would probably throw a molotov at me.

Moral of the story: In an area with a a morally upstanding police department, don't break the law and the police won't bother you. If you act like a bunch of terrorists or break the law, the cops will mess with you. It's your actions that cause the police to do what they do.

Now if you are in an area with a morally bankrupt police department, you should lobby your elected officials to investigate or bring forth legislation to increase the oversight and monitoring of the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
This isn't a bad idea.

I'll buy the paintball guns and paintballs!
If I buy the booze can I come along? You'd want to be a bit drunk first right?